Cryptocurrency mining makes a move to RTX 3000 Series Laptops

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 10, 2021.

1. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    LMAO, did anyone see that 1 pic where they used 32 small fans in the window instead of 1 big air mover? I think all of this is just stupid, the car companies are running commercials now [GM & FORD] that they will be all electric by 2035 but it's not going to matter unless the rest of the companies and knuckleheads wasting energy get onboard. Yes there is waste everywhere that needs change but I assume you get my point.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    That's not true, it's backed by a country and it's economy. The US dollar is effectively backed by hundreds of millions of people and all they create and do. Owning dollars is like buying shares in the USA.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I get your point but come' on this crypto is stupid.

Venix likes this.
  4. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    They are, but the ones with 4GB or less of vRAM.

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya but aren't the laptop gpu's different from Desktop gpu's? So why no desktop gpu's available? God crypto is stupid and a waste. I'm done no more comments from me ...lol

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    After that smartphones, tvs and maybe even cars. At one point the value of bitcoin will be so high it will be worth investing in a farm of cars to mine bitcoin with their weak computer.

7. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    This right here is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Nvidia and AMD and Intel and the likes don't give a flying f*** about gamers when it comes to stock, they only care about sales numbers and money in their pockets! Sure they like gamers when they're marketing their products designed for gaming but that's it, nothing else really matters. That will never change unless PC gaming as a whole declines in a way that is beyond repair.

As for bitcoin, I don't think it's inherently good or bad in itself, it's just that people are always looking for the easy money...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I think that if the mining craze spread to console territory, we'de likely see Sony and Microsoft battling it openly because we all know that what brings in the cash are the games! Right now i bet that both companies are taking a loss on every console sold and even if the prices rise to meet demand from miners and they do get a decent buck, there's still all those developers behind the games that would be severely affected by game sales and would push for action against miners.

9. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Because when ANY Governments get involve it ALWAYS works out in the "citizens" favor....... Are your papers in order Comrade??

Backstabak and Venix like this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    UHD 750
    Energy used is used for speculative reasons and could be used elsewhere. Its true. No counter argument there.

as far as gaming goes, I could not care less about it.
    as far as entertainment goes, I could not care less about.

You are able to make same argument on many, many technologies purchased and used for useless purposes as they dont do any good to society and kids of society.

Playstations, Xboxes, gaming phones, TV's. Its all bs. This is just more '' in your face''. '' Hey , Im a laptop, Im here , I could be doing something else, but outcome would be the same: Waste of time''.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    all this is digusting

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this just sad, almost as sad as photo of bed frame that had what 20+ gpu chain linked to farm it? and or the mercedes/bmw housing these cards.

it simple fix what ever made the card so go to farming the gpu manufactures can cripple it from hw , but they wont cause they they might sell less, and they probably cant even do that with out cripling game performance atlest not with redesigning the cards the ground up.

Prices are high enough with out this stupid crap

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Actually, crypto mining is pushing us in the exact opposite direction. The only way for power like solar or wind to become sustainable is if our energy usage drops. The reason we can't get off fossil fuels is because they're currently cheap and contain enough energy to keep up with the demand. All sorts of electronics are steadily becoming more efficient, but it doesn't matter if we just end up using more of them.

Well, governments are already looking to "solve" it. Cryptocurrencies is an easy solution for tax evasion. We all know very well how governments don't like it when people don't pitch in.

14. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Libertarians generally blindly defend cryptocurrencies, but we all know that libertarians are intellectually immature, for them, feudalism would be perfect.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't even fully understand how all this crap even works. All I know is that it's killing PC gaming.

TheDeeGee likes this.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    And who the heck actually needs crypto currency for anything? Except miners trying to make a quick buck out of nothing or criminals desperate to turn dirty money into legit goods or clean money. What's wrong about your dollar, euro, or some other government backed currency? What can an honest man buy with crypto that he can't buy with real, traditional currency? Maybe there is something, out there, but turning the question around, there would be a bazillion things that a dollar can buy but crypto can't. Guns are needed for hunting, sports, police, armies, etc, cars keep our socities running. If the whole crypto currency system disappeared at 00:01 this night without a trace, the world would be exactly the same for 99.99999% of humans and they would notice nothing, except from reading the news. That's the crucial difference.

Just to make two things clear: I don't actually care so much about all the abstract stuff about the crypto currencies. The two concrete things I personally care about have already been mentioned multiple times: Mining crypto wastes an astronomical amount of electricity in a world where clean energy is lacking, and I can't buy a new video card. The other stuff I wrote about are the reasons why the crypto scheme can keep running, not the reason why I detest it.

17. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^^ You almost answered on that question of yours. Cryptocurrency alows you all kind of illegal transactions practically without a single trace, no banks involved, no singatures, stamps... it's a heaven for all kinds of criminal activity: money laundering, buying guns and drugs, hiring assassins, human trafficking for for let's say prostitution "business"... you name it, only imagination is a limit. No doubt drug lords are using crypto for years for easy peasy transactions among themselves.

Kosmoz, Dribble and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  18. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    crypto in some-point it similar to stock
    like many things, basically the "demand" what drive most thing in this world

now how about looking at different POV
    say there no-crypto-mining, and all those GPU that used for mining circulated in world
    that electric consumption still same, it just spreaded across the world, no ?

so in essence regarding pollution, that GPU mining alone not really making big impact to the world

some might argue, that mining+gaming nowdays double the electric consumption in the world
    well nation/goverment provide those electric and they no fussing how people use it, so why us ?

then again maker been always making more effecient chip
    but then people still want more performance, goes as far OC-ing, thus i dont see that different between miner and gamer
    which i mean they dont really consider about earth sustainability / pollution etc.

crypto itself is big risk as no real regulator
    if it keep getting bigger+stable near future, maybe we can see goverment start taking big taxes to those
    else the market crumble by itself

in the end its back to human nature, to make more money, to make more comfortable life
    i never like crypto-things, but cant really blame those doing it either

the quote that i often hear from crypto-miner fellow :
    “If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.”
    ― Warren Buffett

earth just dont have many people like this man :

just complaining might not change anything in this world, but many times ourself need take action for changes not just blaming others

Silva likes this.
  19. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    What is probably happening is the laptops are being used for a period of time to mine before being boxed up and sold as new.

20. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    No. You're wrong.
    More supply, less demand = price reduction and less demand for electrical networks.
    Stocks would be maintained and each country would need to be less concerned with costs and stability in the electricity grids.
    I don't need 20 GPUs, I need one. More demand for electricity, higher price and more need for fossil fuels. Simple as that.