Crypto miners paint GDDR memory chips to hide wear and make them look better

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    And that's why the second hand market should be avoided for the next 5-10 years.

carnivore, Keitosha, fr33k and 5 others like this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Again, mining and scams going hand in hand...

Neo Cyrus, Eno9, Keitosha and 2 others like this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Without even knowing that, I avoided buying a GPU from that market. I was scammed once, before crypto craze, don't want the same experience for a second time.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I assume ebay is going to be flooded by "new but opened box" pc peripherals for the next few years. Lol

carnivore and Eno9 like this.
  6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I haven't bought a used GPU (or any component) in about 7-8 years now (last was a 780Ti). Between crypto abuse and price gouging, that entire, compellingly priced part of the market dried up. The new market is also rubbi$h.

I truly despise people who lack integrity and are willing to scam others. Not really a shocker that this is the route that people into a scam like crypto would take.

Eno9, Keitosha, Kaarme and 1 other person like this.
  7. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I guess this puts an end to the "Flood of cheap used cars will force GPU makers to lower prices" theory.

8. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    LOL Good try nVidia :)
    Ohhh dont buy the cheap old GPUs, buy a fresh new ones from us! Here look, there are 2 photos, and its from ((( miners ))) !!! Boooo!!

You really believe it ppl? Do u have any idea on what mining is about? Let me tell u - efficiency. So those GPUs are run in the most effective way, that means undervolting and underclocking (aka LOW TEMPERATURES, low wear) They run 24/7 so they keep same (low) temperature all the time, preventing the expansion and shrinking of the silicon, which also reduces wear. Most of such GPUs are in much better shape, than if u buy it from a gamer, who overclocks it for years, in his overheating case.

Im on 2nd hand cards for dacade. GTX 970, GTX 1080ti, RTX 3080. None of the cards had any issue what so ever.

Ormy, Ivrogne, Airbud and 2 others like this.
  9. I'm sure AMD and NV love articles like this :p

I don't think I care about what the top of a chip looks like as long as it works. I'm not going to get a used GPU, look at it, and return it just because it isn't pristine looking; I'm going to at least put it in my computer to try it, same as if somehow arrived cleaner than factory. If it works, it works.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Unlike a lot of people, I'm not all that concerned about the wear of these GPUs - I'm sure there aren't many that are doing this, considering most miners are undervolting. However, what really puts me off from buying these GPUs is the fact they're still stupidly expensive. I'm not buying a used outdated GPU that is 80%+ the price of a new model. I'm not willing to help miners break even with their losses.

rflair and Keitosha like this.

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    People will believe anything put on the internet,incredible

rflair likes this.
  12. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Not surprised tbh. Scammers will scam, one way or another. Factory watercooled GPUs should be safer, as these aren't very popular with professional miners, but everything else - yeah, I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess you believe mining GPUs were used with care, or you're a miner yourself.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    There are still plenty of people selling well mantained GPUs that were only used for gaming or professional work.

Of course the problem is spot them among all the others selling crappy cards...

Personally, i prefer to buy new because i love the smell of new parts but i take good care of my hardware and then i sell it when i buy something better.

And know that i`ve just bought a new GPU, i`m going to sell my 1080ti, that is still running like a charm.

Ormy likes this.
  15. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I'm in the same boat, although I'm positive none of my stuff come from a miner. I buy from people with more money than me that are upgrading.

old saying: one man's trash is another man's treasure.

mackintosh, fantaskarsef and H83 like this.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Scum of the earth this miners are :p

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well they need to sell all those gpus. Be careful who you buy it from.

chispy likes this.
  18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I agree with your comment on the surface.
    But the environment the undervolted cards were run in must be considered too.
    A lot of GPUs in one machine, especially in a room with lots of machines can get pretty hot running 24/7.
    Even with good room airflow the cards can suffer in a well thought out business.
    Unless they are pushed to the limit of their capability vs power use, you're wasting money.

Or the card you get might have been from a newb who didnt know/care what they were doing and ran it full tilt for a long time without understanding the consequences, as long as it worked.
    After all, some used crypto as a way of getting free or cheap home heating and perhaps extra money on top.

It is a risk.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Kaarme likes this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    You don't get out much do you

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Of course i do , been traveling the world lately since i retired :p.

DannyD likes this.