CRYENGINE Showcase Video GDC 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2016.

1. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    The Unreal Engine looks way too dark and dull. It is good looking, certainly but I have not seen any Unreal game or video that makes me go "Wow! That's jawdropping!".

2. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Your last sentence is all I would question as 40 years ago graphics was not the driver of what games were produced. I'd say in the first 15 years it was more a case of experimentation (I went through this period personally). That revealed the markets and from there everything was ground to a fine point to produce the rut we are in today.

Humans are creatures of habit. Find the reward that guarantees a particular behavior and you have them in your pocket for better or worse. Apparently most people are only concerned with how realistic a game looks and instant gratification. Everything else is back-burner.

We are talking about the core of the current trends dictating what is produced and brought to market. I think history shows that anything new by definition must follow a path that violates all conventional wisdom (aka, current habits). Get enough people to actually take the blinders off to see what the new offering brings to the table and you will see change take root. In all honesty I think this happens continually but at such an incremental level we don't really notice it's happening right under our nose.

For myself, I'm sick of the graphics trend that has dominated game development for so long now. It's almost embarrassing to see so many people in herd mode controlling the markets as they are. Just read the posts for various games and see how many are about frame rates, color, resolution, blur, etc.

I want to experience flying a Spitfire over Britain, or a U-boat in the N. Atlantic...all in great detail (not necessarily visual detail). I want to crawl through undergrowth to recon an enemy position while being hunted or warp through space to engage enemy spacecraft in some distance star system. I want to be presented with a challenge that hides the solution and forces me to think of what would work best on my own. I want to learn how to use my strengths and overcome my weaknesses in any engagement. These are the aspects of gaming that appear to have been abandoned in favor of generic entertainment for the masses who will happily plunk down their money for another quick wow at the visuals.

But that's not going to happen anymore. Not enough people really care to make it a requirement. So I blame the general population for what has become of gaming instead of the developers and publishers. They have their hands tied by market forces.

You see how this all goes around in a circle? I stopped buying games for the most part. I marvel at all the new and ever more powerful hardware constantly being put on the market to run games that really are all the same thing. They just look different. I watched the new Doom videos for example. I got bored watching the repetitive game play in less than 10 minutes. The graphics do nothing to overcome that because I have seen through the veil. I wonder how many others have reached this point as I have.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW

Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

4. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Well it appears we're on the same page to some extent.