Crucial PCIe 5.0 SSD, T700, Impresses with Compact Heatsink and High Speeds

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef and mbk1969 like this.
  2. lotharmatheos

lotharmatheos Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    I wonder when they start offering PCIe 5.0 SSDs with 4TB capacity.

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    save your money and get a PCIe4 drive, these new drives offer nothing for real world performance

Might be years before we see a true difference and even then that depends on the use case

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    warning!

as of now there are exactly 3 mobos across both AMD/Intel that have actively cooled heatsinks (or a big enough passive) to handle pcie 5.0 M.2 and they're all top dollar

Embra and Venix like this.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I will stick with my pci3 nvme for now , and when and if it makes sense for games etc to have a faster nvme I will examine again, till then I do not care having 10 sec loads instead of 10.5~11 sec !

6. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    What do you base this on?
    Nada from Techtesters tested a Gen 5 Aorus 10000, with very little airflow on the passive heatsink, it did not reach 50 degrees.
    I know it is midrange gen 5 with 10GB/s, but 50 degrees is very low for a SSD.

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the Aorus is one of the few w/ a big enough heatsink.
    i base this on the fact that (virtually) all mobo heatsinks are the same exact design for pcie 4.0 AND the fact that except for Crucial they all ship w/ active coolers to my point

8. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    The cooling area of the Aorus is not that big, my old OCZ Reaper DDR memory kit had a bigger cooler on them.

Asrock has some fairly big coolers on the AM5 mid range boards, around the size of the Aorus cooler.

Many boards have 1 common cooler for 2-3 drives, with only one drive under one of those that should be plenty cooling or a game and OS disk, they are newer running full speed at the same time anyway.

The inland active cooled model is very badly designed with almost no cooling surface on it and the super high speed fan. That drive also did not reach 60 degrees during 10 hours benchmarking, so plenty good enough for normal workloads.
    It could probably run passive for gaming workloads.

For server workloads get a PCI card for nvme drives, plenty of room for a cooler and a slow and silent 120mm fan.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Asrock is selling an active kit for the taichi as the factory one isn't good enough
    my x570s AM4 Aero G from gig is packing 3 pcie 4.0 avg r/w 6000 - moderately fast m.2 and adding the 2nd and 3rd raised case temps 4 centigrade. pcie 5.0 is much much worse. current gig model excepting Aorus 1000/elite ax do not have a burly enough heatsink. those two models have one separate heatsink for pcie 5.0 w/ pcie 4.0 sharing a more common heatsink

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Using 2x PCIe Gen 4 in main rig, and 2x PCIe Gen 3 in 2nd rig, will stick with them for a while as I don't see any real world gaming advantage the Gen 5 offers over previous version. Besides, going Gen 5 entails a whole new build, and I don't need to incur the extra expenditure to accommodate these newer, and more costly I might add, SSDs.