crucial m225 128gb ssd - installation question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by crabman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    Hi Guys
    I have decided to buy an ssd - got the crucial m225 128gb in the end, I want to make sure I do everything correctly before I tackle the installation,
    Am I right in thinking i need to change it to achi in the bios before i do anything, keep reading bits about this but its a bit confusing,some say change it after installation,some say before, what is the correct method, looked on the crucial forums but cant find answers, I appreciate any help with this,
    what progs are people using to make sure the read and write speeds are correct,have a good weekend all.and thanx in advance
    kind regards
    paul

2. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    If you are installing, change the BIOS to ACHI as you will get improved performance

3. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    whilst it does improve things, it for me was so little, keeping it on ide/sata will work fine, if you dont change it.

Also, dont you have to add a reg entry to stop it bsod if change to ACHI, sure i did when i tried it, then saw minimal improvement, so changed it back.

youl be happy with the speed over a hdd, that your be too exciteds to worry about minor improvement.

I got the Crucial sata3 128g one, and loving it,

Hitting around the 310mb/s read constant.

4. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    cheers dude
    much appreciated,dont want bsod,so i will go with ide,still possible to partition so i have dual os,still like xp,annoying things in windows 7

cant get 3dmark 06 to work, openAL 32.dll cant be found, downloaded file and still no joy, even put it in directory of 3dmark, annoying, works perfect on xp, also trying to rename bit torrent files is impossible under windows 7, cant get evga precision tool to work under windows 7, works perfect under xp, thats why its good for me to have dual systems,

can i ask dude what software do you usewith your crucial drive to see how it reads and writes and temp and stuff, cheers again
    regs
    paul

5. crabman

crabman Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 250
    hi

back again,lol

well this is what happened,
    1, went into bios to ensure it was set to ide - yes - and make sure it booted from cd - yes
    2, disconnected current hard drive
    3,connected crucial ssd
    4,started computer with dvd with iso firmware image 1916 in dvd rom - put this on dvd in windows 7 earlier, found the firmare file Fw1916_CD2 and right click and burn disc image, I am assuming this is correct,lol

5,option to boot from cdcame up, i pressed any key
    6, blue screen appears titled freedos oem bootable cd-rom, it says press enter to continue to boot from cd-rom, I press enter
    7,blue screen appears ,lots of writing
    8,black background appears and itssays - BAD COMMAND OR FILENAME - "SSDCHK.EXE"
    9 It says remove cd from cd-rom and reboot computer, I m guessingit has not flashed it, any ideas why it has done this.cheers for any advice dude

regs

paul