Crucial Launches BX200 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Crucial announced their Crucial BX200 solid state drive (SSD), which offers affordable performance. The drive, designed for consumers and SMBs, allows users to load applications in seconds, boot up al...

Crucial Launches BX200 SSD

2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Tomshardware says it sux :D
    [​IMG]

Anandtech too :p
    it's hard to understand why they're releasing it in what seems to be such a poor performing state. The drive clearly needs at least a firmware overhaul, and it's a horrible way to introduce Micron's 16nm TLC to the world.

Epic fail imao...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    And when you consider that a 7200 rpm WD Blue 1TB drive can be had for $50...the $299 price looks awful...They are coming down, but still have a distance to travel before they'll replace mechanical drives. I've got a 256GB EVO 850 which cost $100 when I bought it that's great as a boot drive, though. But I have 3TB's of mechanical drives (4) for data that I won't be replacing anytime soon.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Sounds like 850 EVO will remain my SSD of choice once I get down to it. My old 830 will remain as an OS drive, though. EVO will suffice for a games drive. Luckily the EVO has been getting cheaper over time. The 840 EVO fiasco didn't scare me off even if I very much observed the speed drop in my laptop.

I'm not sure if it's related to specific older mobos or what, but I'm a little afraid of Crucial's SSDs because of the numerous reports of them suddenly disappearing from the system and not reappearing before they have been without power for a while. That just sounds too strange and bothersome.

5. Bishiff

Bishiff Guest

GPU:
    980Ti X 2
    Huh...I have experienced this myself with a crucial MX100 disappearing and having to power down/up a few times to get it to recognize. I thought I may have had a wonky sata cable or something with the my particular drive. I use it a games drive, but if it was a boot drive, I'd be very annoyed

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If the 830 drive is big enough, wouldn't it make better sense to use the faster 850 Evo for your OS drive, and then the 830 for games - I'm thinking your OS would benefit more from a faster SSD than your games. You could even partition your 850 Evo into an OS partition & a games partition (using it for both OS & games), and then use the 830 as a games drive too - that's probably what I'd do.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Perhaps, but I just can't trust the TLC EVO enough. I have actually two 830s right now: 128GB (OS) and 256GB (games). I'll shift the 256 model to the OS, and use the new EVO for games. Perhaps I'll also use the 128 for games as well, although I'm running out of sata sockets unless I start to use the dubious Marvell one.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    TLC problems almost definitely won't exist for the 850 Evo, it's a different type of design of nand in contrast to the 840 Evo. I have the 840 Evo as my boot drive, and with the latest firmware there are no read speed degredation of old data issues - they've fixed it - I reckon you can be completely confident in your 850 Evo, and you could always use Macrium Reflect to image your OS partition for quick & easy recoveries if things did go wrong, but I'm sure they wouldn't.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, I have been using both the Windows backup and Reflect on different externals for years. Samsung does, however, market both EVO and Pro despite the speed difference over sata3 getting quite insignificant. I'd imagine they still do it for a reason, which must be reliability.

There are some logistical considerations as well. The current 128GB is getting too small for the OS+programs, but 500 for it would be excessive. Games are getting more and more bloated, so no amount is too much for them. Nobody does partitions these days anymore (unless for dual boot), I haven't for years, so I'm not going to go down that route. I also want to keep my games away from the OS disk as much as I can. The 256GB 830 is faster than the 128GB one, so I'll see a slight speed difference even sticking to my original plan.

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    (I partitioned my 250GB Evo drive into 60GB OS partition & the rest is for games - I did that so that I could Macrium Reflect image a small partition & restore the operating system quickly independant of the games on the same physical disk, makes sense to me at least)

11. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I have the BX100 250GB in my Laptop and it's great zero issues thats with a AMD A8 4500M. Seems faster than my Desktop which has the OCZ Agility 3 480GB and thats on a Intel Core i7 4790K @ 5GHz. Which is kinda surprising.