Crucial Introduces a 4TB Model of the MX500 SSD (spotted in etail also at 375 EUR)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    We've come so far!

My first SSD back in late 2009 was a OCZ Vertex 120GB which i believe was priced similar.

tunejunky and Kaarme like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You were quite an early adopter. I only got my first SSDs in 2012. Samsung's 256GB model set me back a little under 200 euros back then.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. NinArraBiTTa

NinArraBiTTa Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX2080 8GB
    I am not so happy with my Crucial MX500 2TB, the SSD shows firmware error and the Crucial Support UK tells me to not worry :-D

5. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Yes, we have. I bought a 3.5" OCZ Vertex 90GB back in 2010 for my Core i7 950 build at that time.

I went from that to a M2 nvme Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2TB. So, yeah. We came a long way.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    I started with the first one. OCZ Core 120gb for £350 - it was terrible and caused 1 second stutters with every click in windows.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    but have they fixed the write amplification flaw.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    The what now ? I googled amplification flaw mx500 nothing relevant came from that search , care to elaborate ? I am genuine interested on it since i own an mx500

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    and Crucial pistol-whips WD without a touch of side-eye, just by keeping spec.

10. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    Venix likes this.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @FlyBy thank you ! I will have to investigate this!

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It's a terrific SSD but too bad it won't work with direct storage

13. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    well...
    My first SSD was some Kingston's Intel 40Gb SSD drive copy...
    For system (WXp at the time) and 1-2 games was ok :). I just suddenly get rid of system lag(file search, windows background tasks ruining gameplay, etc). Night and day difference.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes, direct storage will make a day and night difference.

but most of the market for this won't be booting (unless backup) from this drive.

small volume M2 drives are all you need to boot nowadays (and are faster with back-up)and if you don't get free shipping, the 256 Gb drive might be close to the shipping price. and the performance differential would be felt by the most casual observer. plus there are still plenty of M.2 sata for just a clean looking install if performance wasn't an issue.

plus, the multiplicity of M.2 slots on all flavors of motherboards means you do not have to route cables and mount drives in the cabinet and we're talking almost every motherboard sold in the last four years regardless of Intel or AMD.

i'm not hyping large volume M.2 because the price differential needs to meet the application.
    the vast majority are fine with this as a D: (or higher) drive or are ahead of the curve with this as a RAIDed NAS.

if i was upgrading a laptop i would look for Direct Storage

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    why are they still making sata stuff? it isnt even any cheaper than entry level nvme, brings a mess of cables and 500mb/s bottleneck

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    mass storage.it's far cheaper than nvme
    not all storage needs nvme and @ 4Tb nvme is prohibitively expensive to many even pcie 3.0
    plus with a 2.5" format and lower transfer you have no heat (throttling) issues.

don't get me wrong, my gaming rig is all M.2 storage
    my DAW rig needs vastly more storage, yet audio and video are far less demanding R/W and transfer speeds are fine with a RAID array of ssd's

17. TonyRockyTiger

TonyRockyTiger Guest

GPU:
    RX 560 4GB
    The great thing about the MX500 series is the built-in Power Loss Immunity (PLI) feature, which means written/committed data is better protected in the event of power loss. This is not to be confused with Power Loss Protection (PLP) which involves capacitors that allow for the eventual storage of in-transit data during power loss. PLP is better that PLI, but you only get this on much more expensive enterprise SSDs. PLI is a good compromise when taking into account the relative low cost of these non-enterprise drives. I believe currently the MX500 series is the only non-enterprise SSD out there that has PLI - no non-enterprise SSD I know of has PLP.

tunejunky and Kaarme like this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I got 3 mx-500's all @ 500gb.

HH's review way back when, was spot-on. These MX-500's are solid, and, I purchased directly from Crucial, because fk amazon :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    tunejunky likes this.
  19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering how cheap capacitors are, it should be a default feature in all but the cheapest Kingston SSDs.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    are there decent nvme that offer 9cent per gb ? other than that on mainstream platforms am4 etc ... can anyone cope with just 2 nvme drives ? the extra 4-6 sata offer a lot of flexibility if you need more memory storage ! I know for one 2 nvme drives just for storage it will not be enough and no i am not paying for 4tb nvme drives :p

tunejunky likes this.