CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    60FPS - 60 frames per second --> 1 second per 60 frames --> 1000ms per 60 frames --> (1000/60) ms per frame --> 16.67ms per frame

That is hard-coded mathematics. You don't get different frametimes for the same 60FPS with different technologies.

Come on, OnnA...

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    I know that, but i have always a little lower F.times on CRT.
    I don't know why or how, but its how it is.
    Also i really don't have Tearing & Slashing Image when Play, even when my FPS drops significantly.
    I think ->GPU->CRT handling stuff differently some how (+ Great response Times)

Besides when OLED hit the market it will be no slashing tearing also ~0.1ms response time.
    I think on CRT this is even lower, maby 0.01ms? dunno :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  3. ThEMarD85

ThEMarD85 New Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G
    Heyyo,

Epic utility! But sadly it seems my Asus VE278Q was not meant to be... no matter what I try? Screen every few seconds randomly blanks or has bad artifacting... no screen tearing at least though heh but definitely not playable. :(

• Asus VE 278Q - 60Hz, TN, HDMI,
    • OC's up to 75Hz... but bad stuttering and both Freesync & VSYNC fail to even work at 61Hz with screen tearing...
    • setting Freesync range max to 59Hz fails to enable Freesync. Seems to require 60Hz or higher as a max
    • Freesync range 50Hz to 60Hz does work... with the noted graphical artifacting
    • MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G
    • Windows 10 64bit build 14393
    • Crimson Driver 16.10.2
    • Tried with Pixel Clock patch & CRU's pixel clock override, both exhimit same issues

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You have an uncooperative firmware that likes to blank out when resyncing, just like mine. Oh well, :shrug:

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Still skeptical tbh, but...
    Why not make the FreeSync CRU hack monitor database.

Something like: Fully Working(DP/HDMI/misc), Working with Issues, Not Working

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    it's hard to capture and replay fluidity of FreeSync via video
    No, i don't see it in an obvious manner

But as long as you can see the difference between FreeSync Off/On (with Vsync=on), then its working.
    And the difference between the two is blatantly obvious when sitting in front of FS monitor

That's all that matters.
    Then again if it's working why we are not seeing 30% of gamers jumping from joy

8. kuba67

kuba67 New Member

GPU:
    Msi rx 480 gaming X 4gb
    Thanks for reply. Did you try 40 - 60 fps? Was It stable?

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Are you serious? Skip to 20:08. It's clearly visible.

Yeah, blatantly obvious. In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Syria, the Prophet's Tomb, once you get out of the cave, there are birds flying above. Looking at them at any framerate within the range, their movement is completely, silky smooth (representative of the framerate).

Quite a few limitations so far:
    1) Instructions are over the place - need to be organized (I plan to do this after my midterms)
    2) For those who do manage to carry out the instructions, they need:
    A monitor that's running over HDMI / DVI-SL
    A monitor which scaler supports variable / extended blanking intervals

Monitors that are most likely to have scalers that support such are bypass boards, found mostly on the Korean monitors - monitors that use DVI-DL for any refresh rate significantly above 60Hz @ 1440p.

Monitors that still use HDMI, and not DP, and are not Korean monitors, tend to be the older 1080p 60Hz / 120Hz / 144Hz monitors that have scalers that are simply too restrictive to allow variable / extended blanking intervals.

The rest of the monitors use DP.

If ToastyX or anyone else manages to get EDID overrides to work at adding FreeSync support over DP, and / or drivers support FreeSync over DVI-DL OR drivers are patched to enable dual-link DVI operation over (what seems to the driver) as HDMI, then it could most likely catch on much more.

My 2 cents on the matter.

10. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Got VSR working with my ultrawide now, 3440x1440! Great for screenshots, tried Alien Isolation and amazingly it runs 40-60fps on ultra settings.

11. kuba67

kuba67 New Member

GPU:
    Msi rx 480 gaming X 4gb
    I got my monitor a couple days ago, i was trying to at least enable freesync, but havent secceeded yet. Can you tell me how did you do it? Even when i have freesync on on both monitor and gpu, and use an hdmi cable, i still get tearing within predefine freesync range

PS: I have managed to enable it but after enhancing HDMI bandwidth to 660 MHz i started getting occasional blackscreens even after changing FS range to 46 - 60. In the end I stayed at the default range and OC my monitor to 72 Hz. What did you do to enhance the range so much? Did you change the range in both exntension block and in this monitor editing tab?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  12. kuba67

kuba67 New Member

GPU:
    Msi rx 480 gaming X 4gb
    What did you actually do? When i edit freesync range to 46 - 60 and monitor max fresh rate to 60hz in both 'detailed resolutions' and 'extension blocks' i get black screen and info - sth like 'this is not an optimal mode 1920 x 1080 60Hz', same with 72 max rfesh rate in both demo and witcher 3 :(

PS: But Fs itself works, only in this crappy range 48 - 72, actually 48 - 60 bc when i increase max fresh rate to 72 hz, i cant see any smoothness with freesync on in the amd demo, although it runs stable

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  13. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 560 w8 4 Vega 56
    Dunno how to explain it... sometimes FS works with 30 FPS (tested this one on Witcher 3 and was great) but actually I had to set FS range to 48-60 because of "not an optimal mode". I was wondering if everything is OK with my HDMI cable but don't know how to check this.

14. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Long story short:

I have a VTX3d 290 paired with an ACER XF(reesync)270HU via DP.

Everything works fine, until I try to oc the gpu (which is on an Accelero IV cooler).

Everything over 1025/1350 (stock 975/1250) gives me black screens for 1-2" at random intervals (3d only of course) that gets worse proportionally to the oc (i.e. @1075/1350 it happens every 5' and lasts a bit longer, @1100/1350 it's almost constant).

Using the HDMI cable, it won't happen even @1130/1350 (overclocking the memory sadly creates problems, although the card has Hynix chips) and this is with +19mV core only, no extra power.

Unfortunately, HDMI v1.4a (I think) on the card means no Freesync.

Used the utility to add a freesync range (40-144, monitor's native) on the active profile, it worked (at least I was able to turn it on@Crimson) but it also gives me artifacts@2d which only get worse@3d and I can't even use fullscreen/borderless modes, only windowed (only tried BF1).

Tried to lower freesync range (40-140), same behavior. Frame limiter doesn't work@BF1@DX12.

Any suggestions?

Between Freesync and higher oc, I will choose the former.

edit:

Seems that the artifacts are present even after resetting the driver back to normal and rebooting.

Must be either a malfunctioning monitor input, or some incompatibility between the GPU, the cable and the input.

Went back to the DP...I'll try to stabilize or just won't oc at all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  15. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    So have we made any more progress? I see few threads on reddit.

16. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    does not appear so

17. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Updates:

Bought a new (cheap) HDMIv2.0 cable, connected the monitor, modded the driver (16.11.5) with atikmdag-patcher and CRU...restarted...

FreeSync works, range 40-144Hz.

FreeSync works@BF1, although I need to have it on "borderless" since on "fullscreen" I'm only getting a black screen (game runs, alt+enter works).

Saddly, there is a lot of off/on screen...everything turns black for 2-5'', sometimes there is a "no signal" message, it turns back on etc (game runs fine, it doesn't crash or anything).

Any ideas and suggestions?

18. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    2 things come to mind with the blanking...set you max freesync range 2 below the max monitor refresh in rate in CRU. ie my monitors max custom refresh rate is 77 but for me to not to get blanking I have to set my range 40-75 not 40 to 77, also make sure when you set it if your getting blanking to set the LCD mode to reduced blanking AMD kind of requires that.

Do not use the built amd crimson custom resolution/refresh other then to test with, you need to delete any custom refresh rate in crimson and apply through CRU.

This may or may not sort you out, also people can get blanking with setting the lower limit too low.

19. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse

Thank you for the input.

The first one (FS range), I understand (I'll set it at 42-140 to be "sure").

The "reduced blanking", I don't get it.

Can you elaborate?

TY

20. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    When you set a custom resolution AMD GPUs prefer the reduced blanking standard.

So when I set my custom refresh rate by clicking add, inputing the new refresh rate make sure in the drop down box at the top to select LCD Reduced and then apply.

Same thing pretty much if using crimson for custom settings. Please do not use crimson other then to find good refresh rates/resolution, it has given me issues with this freesync method. Use CRU to set working timings.

Once you find a working non blanking freesync range you can work on expanding one side or the other at 1 fps per test but not both at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016