CRT is still better than LCD for visual quality.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Unfettered, Sep 3, 2011.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    That is only with *LOCAL DIMMING* LED which alot of makers have phased out due to high cost. Most LED are just back lights like CCFL. Yes local dimming have surpassed CRT in contrast or equaled but they have not surpassed plasma in contrast. My panasonic VT25 has the best contrast of any TV on the market.. even the local dimming LED sets.

Just wanted to state this is ANSI contrast we're talking about.. as plasma and CRT are still better in dynamic contrast

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    I have an LG Flatron W2442PA model LCD (Not LED LCD) monitor and it is only 1920X1080P.
    It's max hz is only 60. Yet I find it has no trail, no lag and has a better black than my old Viewsonic P95F+ (a Sony Trinitron clone) and way better colour when I play games. The Viewsonic was able to do 2048X1536 at 85hz and it is .25mm, similar to the LCD.
    I don't give a rats as far as colour goes when I'm reading things like info and forums but the text is better and clearer than the CRT.
    The LCD runs 30 degrees C than the CRT and uses about a hundred watts less while gaming. (300 against 400 while playing STALKER series. And that's with 8800gtx's in SLI)
    And it only cost me about 260 Aussie dollars.
    Our Medical, military financial and business institutions all use LCD now. I must say in the last 12 months I have not seen one CRT in any of these places. Mostly because of energy savings. (also political reasons - which probably means energy reasons).
    I would like the refresh rate to be higher than 60 but it doesn't really matter as I don't notice it when I'm shooting bad guys.
    About Plasma, in standby it uses almost as much power as when it is working. My daughter's Plasma tv is as hot as ... even in standby. (And this was tested by Tom's Hardware).
    I have not seen to many CRT's in my life except for maybe several. The government one I used was S**t!
    My Viewsonic and my son's CRT were all inferior to LCD.
    So to finish off, what were the superior CRT's?

3. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The FW900 PC monitor and the Sony XBR960 34" 1080i CRT(I own both) are two of the best CRT's ever made to the public. Both cost like $2500 brand new

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    @Mikannon:
    Same story with the Sony G520, it was about $2000 new, online retailers still sell them refurbished for around $400 (people practically give them away on e-bay and craigslist tho..:))

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    2500 for a crt? Gtfo! You can get a great flatscreen for that!

6. Unfettered

Unfettered Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    :stewpid:

The refresh rate can be calculated from the horizontal scan rate by dividing the scanning frequency by the number of horizontal lines multiplied by 1.05 (since about 5% of the time it takes to scan the screen is spent moving the electron beam back to the top). For instance, a monitor with a horizontal scanning frequency of 96 kHz at a resolution of 1280 × 1024 results in a refresh rate of 96,000 / (1024 × 1.05) ≈ 89 Hz (rounded down).

So using a typical screen resolution such as the example above there are 1280x1024 pixels = 1,310,720 pixels. These pixels in the given example refresh 89 times per second. In one second 1/116,654,080 pixels are refreshed. So one pixel refreshes in 8.57x10^9

I may be wrong on my calculations, so feel free to check my work.

In any case CRT's don't have liquid crystals that lag behind the chain of images. The 2-20ms it takes for a liquid crystal to change colors to the NEXT image is why you see motion blur. And is why I do not want to own an LCD for my PC.

So to recap Svein, 8.57x10^9 is the CRT pixel refresh. Whereas the best an LCD can offer is 2x10^3 second pixel refresh, which also keep in mind is Gray to Gray, not black to white to black. Which in all cases is longer than 2ms.

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    They didn't have flatpanels back when it costed that much. Today if you can find a FW900 for brand new it'll run you about $1000.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Still... A grand? That's just too much... I can get a 60" lcd led backlit screen for that sort of money! Sorry but crt doesn't stand a chance here...

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I can't justify paying that much either but graphics professionals might.. who knows there's still people out there buying them. I got mine for $300 used but in near grade A quality.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]LCD...All the way...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    really? I don't see why? you can get a lot larger screen for that money running higher resolution with great colors and sharpness, without all the bulk. crt is dead, bye bye crt.

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    but... why?...

13. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I think he might be joking because that setup looks horrible.

14. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The FW900 does 2304x1440 widescreen or 2560x1600 4x3.. not too many screens go much higher than that

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    hum...not from where Im sitting...

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The PC part is okay, the Wayne Brady part not so okay.

I like CRT's, I love them actually. If situation was called for, I would totally have a flat panel CRT widescreen all the way! But I use my TV as my monitor, which I have my cable box in HDMI 1, my Xbox in HDMI 2, and my PC in VGA. Unless I want to shell out the big bucks, I couldn't get a reasonable deal with a CRT monitor with features like that, atleast with RBG,

17. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Precisely why I have a 50" Plasma, I can't get a picture that large and nice out of a CRT. The old rear-pro CRT's were interlaced at 1080 and just way too fuzzy. In this case I agree CRT has no place but in smaller screens I think they are still a very good choice. (Although if CRT was still being produced I'm sure they would have had a 1080P version out by now, I'd be all over that mofo)

18. G-note

G-note Guest

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD
    swipe n clean all gone see

byeeeeeee

|
    |
    |
    V

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  19. Unfettered

Unfettered Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  20. Dude111

Dude111 Guest

GPU:
    Exactly bud!!!!

I usually get a headache when i try to watch one of those things!!! (Or look @ an LCD monitor)

They are ugly and dont produce ANYWHERE NEAR A GOOD A PICTURE!

Its sad how people accept garbage these days and think its BETTER than actual good stuff!