1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT is still better than LCD for visual quality.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Unfettered, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Unfettered

Unfettered Banned

GPU:
    MSI 6950 2GB
    CRT being as old as it is, is still superior to LCD technology. Faster response times, superior color gamut, no motion blur, no pixilation, superior contrast, and so on and so on. The ONLY advantages to LCD over a CRT is weight, and thickness, and this is just NOT a good reason for the masses to have destroyed the CRT market.

One of the major manufacturers needs to produce at least one model of CRT for PC display purposes that is still affordable. Based on my readings on the web I've found that the medical field, military, commercial aviation, Hollywood graphic production and other media production/editing entities ALL still use CRT monitors because they have not been surpassed by any new technology. However this said they pay high prices for these monitors, as they are not produced in great numbers.

I just want to post about this topic on a forum with amazing patrons such as Guru3D because I know that the discussion will be far more pertinent than elsewhere.

My suggestion is that people discuss the matter and hopefully one of the major manufacturers will take notice (probably a pipe dream I know).

I personally am willing to buy a high resolution CRT with around 20-22 inch viewable in a major way. My last monitor being the http://ap.viewsonic.com/my/products/productspecs.php?id=266 ruined me for life. It unfortunately died out after years of use and I've been forced to buy a horrible LCD.

Also, any discussion on new but non-consumer market technologies such as FED, or SED would be great. Personally I REALLY REALLY hope they bring FED to market in a few years.

2. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I agree +++ !
    I still use my SyncMaster 793df as my primary monitor !
    Even if i can use My LG 450ld , as primary i only use it for movies !!
    Call me crazy but i like my CRT , more then LCD at quality !
    Don't believe me will post screens !

3. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    I agree regarding the quality..but there just isnt enough space on my desk for a crt..that too a 23inch...im happy with the dell 23inch led i just bought..yeah its not as good as my last crt (years ago), its still pretty close and doesnt strain my eyes or make those high pitched whines..

4. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    There are 24'' lcds out there with a special mode "0 input lag" (not response time, input lag!!) for gaming.
    A friend of mine has one, dont remember the model (i think its a Asus tough..) besides the lag problem i dont really see any advantage of using a CRT :\

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    You're falling for marketing spin. Stop trusting glossyness over facts.

//Svein

6. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    I prefer the CRT but I could not get the 1920x180 that every game and movie is using today. Maybe in the future .... ????

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 Nano
    I woud love to get Sony 24" wide crt as new one... sony gdm-fw900 24" 2304x1440 16:10 CRT
    [​IMG]

But its impossible.... damn.

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well buddy, I can tell you that you are 100% wrong when it comes to the military. The military only purchases LCD screens these days, the weight and size advantages alone are worth it.

In the medical community, the purchase LCD's made by Ezio and the like.

• Response times on modern LCD's are less than 2ms, or imperceptible.
    • The are professional LCD screens that do the entire RGB, etc, color gamuts.
    • Again, motion blur is subjective. I dare you to find blur on the 120mhz, 2ms LCD screens.
    • LCDs have also surpassed CRTs in contrast thanks to the advent of LED
      backlighting which lets the LCD turn off portions of the lighting for the screen giving it a 100% true black.
    • Pixilation is again subject. With very small dot pitches that can nearly match a CRT, this point is null.

And here are some advantages to LED LCD screens:

• Much lower power usage
    • Much smaller size
    • Less heat
    • Terrific blacks
    • Easier on the eyes (less flickering)
    • Easier to produce

I think people place too much value on nostalgia.

9. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 CFX
    I dont know why but the moment i replaced my old LG CRT monitor with Phillips 19"LCD i emmediately noticed how the colors looked more satirated and overal picture quality was better!!!
    Today im using Samsung 22' LCD and when ever i wisit my friend who still uses old 19" samsung CRT i get reminded how bad picture was on CRT moitors.
    Im glad we went to LCD....

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980 Ti 1400MHz
    I would of agreed with you up until I got my new monitor Acer HN274H

Response time is 2ms with no blurring or colour bleeding (my old samsung had a option for 2ms but If I used it I had major blurring)

Colours and contrast is awesome led backlight really does help.

120hz finally gives me a proper crt feel.

No heat even when its on 24/7 and less power usage.

Looks much better than my old beige crt.

Oh and less eye cancer :3

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have a pair of 21" Sony Trinitron G520's and I wouldn't trade them for any LCD screen.
    I love them so much that I went out and bought my second one just last week.
    The G520 is the little brother to the FW900, basically they're the best CRT monitor you can buy...the I.Q. is just amazing...the colours and sharpness are really something else.

Max resolution 2048x1536
    Max refresh rate.....160Hz :D

These are actually dark grey, the photo makes them look beige..

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    just tell me guys, why in the hell you can tell me a crt is better? im using LCD's since 2005 i think and im sure i will NEVER see a crt again if i can, they look inacceptable for me with the curved glass, i just cant understain what the hell a crt does better than LCD's

14. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    My CRT is flat glass and widescreen? Also the picture quality is leagues ahead of LCD? That's all the reason I need.

pic

my new one
    [​IMG]

my old one
    [​IMG]

Unless you are viewing on an IPS screen you can't even come close to replicating these two images.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah but then there's ips and led backlit... Crt equals nostalgia. It's like when people say the original command and conquer was better than say ra2. That of course it's bs...

16. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Yeah but CRT can be proven superior through tests. It is a scientific fact that CRT is better at the majority of aspects. LCD does have it's benefits but most are not involved with picture quality except for sharpness and brightness(although brightness is a disadvantage in low light conditions).

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    i.... think that all depends on the monitor itself. And, to be honest, IPS panel displays are starting to get more affordable. Let alone the statement of "replicating these two images" is kinda odd, since that would not only depend on the screen used, but also the camera and camera settings.

For example, i bought my current Gateway FHD2400 24" LCD a few years ago, and absolutely love it's color quality and everything else. At one point i bought one of the new Asus 120hz 3D monitors, and returned it within a week because it looked horrible color quality wise... and my friend thought so too. Then again.... my FHD2400 i think cost like $500 when i bought it.

18. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    hmmm.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What curved glass? Mine is flatscreen thank you..

Quality CRT's - and I do mean Quality, have a remarkable picture that is still superior to the TN panels at least, tho I accept some of the newer high end LCD's are catching up...

It's pointless trying to explain the IQ of a top quality CRT to someone who's never seen one...it would be like trying to describe a colour to a blind person.

20. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    CRT is better for picture and response when you put them under a microscope. I am too busy enjoying a 55"lcd as my main monitor. It looks perfect to me and if I can play old school games like Super Mario all stars on an SNES emulator and detect no obvious lag (in game mode or PC mode on the set) its good enough.

If you want to test lag play some old school games. Some side scrolling game you beat as a kid is the best test of all for that. I had to return a 55" LG due to lag and I used the Super Mario Bros to test it. This Toshiba I have now is really fast I guess. I can not detect lag in game and pc mode and with a 580 games in 1080p at 55 inches just kicks ass. I could never have a 55" crt for obvious reasions. Once crt screens get over about 32" you start to see image geometry distortion as well as convergence problems. LCD took off before these issues were put to bed in larger crt screens. Not such an issue in smaller screens like monitors but they can have convergence issues. I have monster 21 inch compaq crt from the late 90's that was a very early large screen monitor. (It has BNC connections as well) . Still works but is a beast.

OLED may solve a lot of these problems. Plus you might be able to roll up your 55 inch OLED and carry it under your arm like a damn poster to your friends house. Crazy thought. They annouced stretchable OLED screens that are like fabric. I guess shirts are gonna be animated in the next few years. Sigh...... Everyone walking around looking like a damn billboard for their favorite whatevers.