Crossfire trouble, help needed....

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If I ask a question, I need to make sure of something.
    Getty pissy at me isnt going to make me reply again.

The reason I asked about the crossfire cable is, if it was damaged while in use, electronic circuits may have been damaged on the card(s).
    Luckily that isnt the case.
    If I was you I'd borrow another crossfire connector in case you have been really unlucky and got another faulty one.

The problem isnt that the graphics cards arent working, its that they dont work in crossfire.
    At the moment I dont suspect any of the electronics hardware, except the crossfire connector and maybe the PSU.
    It would be nice to see the result of running the 5970 as primary while the 5870 is plugged in if you can manage it.

2. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    Best is to test both cards on another motherboard.

Seems like your cross fire gold connectors on the GPUs have gone bad. Either one.

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok heres what I am going to do, I just bought a 5850(was going to do a 3 way project way in the future), And a new xfire connector link cable.

I am going to personally test with the 5850 with 5970, and the 5870 then change slots,etc.

5850 was my way in the future project but looks like I am getting the card early but far as the 3 way mobo and waterblock, wont be till way in the future.

I'll give you all heads up.

I also did try to flash the 5970 with 2 master gpu's(yes it works while using the 5970 itself), so I decided to do this method, I did had an xfire option but soon as I clicked on apply, I only see my wallpaper on front of the window on the mainscreen of win7.

I restarted pc, same thing, I can still see the mouse cursor and other stuff, manage to change my display,etc,etc.

To cut the long story short, under gpuz 5870 says xfire disabled but under 5970 it says enabled 2 gpus, went to 3dmark 06, Blasted to max settings with supersampling in effect, no where near using 3 gpus.

I'll give you all heads up once I test with the 5850 and new cable, going to try all sorts of things, going to rule which card is giving me the problem, I'll brb later on.

thanks for your help.

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok got the 5850 & the xfire connector cable recently.

Heres the deal:

I tested the 5970 in pcix slot 1 and the 5850 in pcix slot 2,

Result??? Xfire is working, 3 gpus in full usage however??????

When I did 5970 in the first slot and my 5870 in the second slot,

no option for xfire, 2 gpus are only being used and thats the 5970.

So what seems to me the main culprit is the 5870, the card works 100% its just in xfire mode it seems not to be picking up properly, the connector themselves seems fine, nothing damaged or out of the ordinary, I dont know what the problem is but xfire dont work with this card but its stull full fuctional when used by itself.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Contact the mfr tech support and see what they say.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

changing the stock cooler and heavy ass overclocking has been applied? errgh, maybe evga but I dont think for sapphire, mauahaaaaa

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Just wondering, do the 5870 and 5850 work in crossfire together?