Crossfire trouble, help needed....

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I dont want to put you through the mill, but its essential to prove that it can work somehow.
    Once you have a working config, we will have a good base to troubleshoot from.
    I'm trying not to wreck your current windows install by trying things on it.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Also on one forum I, wrotie:

A common fix is to remove both cards, put new card in 1st PCIe slot by itself. Boot up, confirm that the card is recognized. Shut down, replace both cards back in their current slots, reboot and you "should" be good. This has worked for many.

I will try this later, probably going to go BED.

I'll give an update, in the meantime, any help would be appericated.

3. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    I agree with Mafflore. I have hd5870+5870+5970 (a similar configuration to yours). When I installed 11.4 driver to three of my six drives (others get linux, XP, and 10.5), I had a hard time to install the driver into one of the three (other two were totally fine). For some reason, I couldn't adjust the core gpu clock by afterburner. Meanwhile all the core clock indicator in ccc disappeared. Along with it, crossfire setting disappeared as well. Eventually I had to go back to 10.10e. For some reason 10.10e was installed perfectly well. From there I moved forward to 11.2 driver, then 11.4.

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok I put my radeon x1650 backup card in the main slot, rebooted, turn off pc, put the 2 cards back, reboot and now I am going to install von modded 10.10e drivers now while the hpet in bios is off.

Absolutely no gaurantees, here we go, BRB!!

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    LOL right when I was finished downloading von modded drivers, tried to reboot, lol, system hanged.

I had corrupted start up data, I re-installed win7, installed the drectx full package 2010, installed von modded drivers, and guess what folks?????

Just as I thought, nothing has changed, still says disabled.

Heres what I am going to do:

Because I am planning on doing a 3 way xfire in the future, I might buy a 3 way board to xfire with, when the board gets here, I will personally test theses 2 cards I got outside the case and still see if the problems still persists, if it does then its the card.

But for now, I am still figuring this out.

Mise well buy a nb chipset waterblock while I am at it.

Holy sweeeeet jeezus.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Could it also be that the bus connector or the video card connector themselves can be dirty as well from not working properly?

8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Any other suggestions??, Been looking around forum and all coming to an dead end.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok, this is what I just did.

I test ran the 5970 by itself in the second pciX slot, overclocked to 1ghz core(1.3ghz memory), ran 3dmark 06, 8Xaa w/super sampling, wide tent filter, Max af, 1920X1200 resolution, usage under MSI AB comes up like 100% usage on both gpu's and I can tell both gpu's are used cause I remember the frame rate where it was around within this settings in 3dmark 06, yes 2 gpu's are in affect.

So 5970 is working perfectly, near the end of the test, the gfx card hanged, I set to a lower voltage and the speed was 975 mhz but I beefed it up to 1ghz, I know my voltage wasn't high enough for long term stability but still gave it a shot, card works perfectly.

going to try the 5870 without the 5970, I'll give heads up later and I'll brb then I go to B E D!!!

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok folks heres the deal:

Both cards works PERFECTLY by themselves!!.

Tested them on their own slot, one by one, 100% working.

5970 shows 2 gpus and 2 gpus are working @ full speed.

So whats the deal here????

Sucker still says disabled. jeezus christ.

There could be one more that I can try and it could be the culprit however crossfire was working even when it was installed:

The kingston ddr3 2250 memory sticks, let me put back the ocz memory that I had once before, its on the qvl chart for the mobo.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Do they still perform perfectly as single cards when they are both plugged in at the same time?
    This is to establish whether there is the makings of a power problem.
    For this test, at first dont overclock anything as we dont want to bring other variables into the problem.
    If each card works ok, you can try your overclock but watch temps and 12V rail stability like a hawk.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Like I stated before sir, I flashed both of my cards back to normal voltages and clock speed, still same thing.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok I re-installed win 7 with the ocz memory sticks that I had before and just as I thought once again, crossfire still says as usual:

DISABLED,

mauahahaaa.

I figure this wont be very easy to fix.

Remember both cards works at full speed by themselves, also remember that I am running two independent psu's, the thermaltake black widow just went out yesterday when one of my cards had a leak and it went right inside the psu.

The only reason why water got inside is, I didnt feel like draining the whole system out, removing the hoses, I kept everything intact and wanted to move stuff around without draining anything, then on the 5970, the hose within the barb compression, must had an opening when I was moving stuff, water gushed out like crazy.

Luckily everything is ok, but the black widow, the black widow has now rip from the black widow herself.

Now I a got a corsai 700w, single rail psu, but have not even used it yet, using the other ocz psu leftover that I had, 18a on each rail(dual), enough to see if xfire is working thats all, once I get xfire working, corsair is going to take its place where the black widow herself left off.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Oh I see what you are saying, since there is no option for xfire right now, when 2 cards are installed, the primary display adapter is going to be the one that pours the juice, which is the 5870, and yes 5870 works perfectly, even while the 5970 is plugged in.

I am about to call it quits soon, this is crazy. there is got to be a way to get this thing going, this is absolutely insane. I never had this problem with sli nvidia, actually at one time I did but not as bad as this, it was a ground issue with the case, this was long time ago when I had sli system, was a ground issue.

hey folks, thats another thing here, could it be a ground issue???

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Does the 5970 work ok - when the 5870 is plugged in as well and not being used?
    This test will use more power.

How did the original crossfire connector get damaged.
    Was it when the card was in use?

I dont suspect a grounding problem as everything works (so far) except crossfire.

Something else to try:
    Give TwLs drivers and uninstall routines a go.
    He has done so much research, he knows his stuff.
    Dont do this on your main windows install unless you confirm it works first.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    ok heres what I did just for kicks, I powered up everything on the corsari gs700w, I re-installed windows, installed von modded 10.10e drivers and guess what, still says xfire disabled.

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Listen, I had the 5870 in the primary pci-x slot and the 5970 in the secondary slot, so if xfire dont work as it should, the primary card will do the job, thus the 5870.

Now have I tried it the other way around? was going to but didnt want to drain the whole system and move the hoses around, thats when the leak came in, oh well.

I might have to test the system outside the case to rule everything out, but this is last resort, only if I have to and looks like I might have no choice.

I think I damaged the xfire cable when it was already out, think I was leaning on it while I was working inside the computer, but thats ok, remember I said I had another xfire cable that I took from the 5870 box, new? well still it dont work however the card themselves are working 100% perfectly, if used by itself.

when I start my mobo, on the bios splash screen it says emt64 cpu and also says 2 gpus in other words (2 graphic cards).

Even said 2 gpus back then while xfire was working.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Well I am going to lay down in a bit. Well this thread is becoming useful since if people with similar problems, they google and they will come to this thread, in the end, I should be able to get xfire back.

19. Amdgameplayer

Amdgameplayer Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd HD6970 crossfire
    hopefully it is not the cards a new mobo is a wise choice

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    the 5970, 3 xspc pump/res bay kit, all the fans, hdds are all powered by the pc power and cooling 760w, 64a single rail.

all others, was the thermaltake black widow 69a 850w, now its the corsair 700w 54A single rail.