Crossfire is no longer a significant focus says AMD CEO Lisa Su

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    warlord likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    DeskStar likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, good that someone told straight up that those technologies are phased out.
    Never tried it for myself, only build computers with SLI/Crossfire for clients.

Serotonin and RzrTrek like this.
  4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    nVidia just leaves sli to go to crap, but will still take your money for multiple gpus. Gaming is so stagnant that you don't need all this power anymore.

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It's not even discussed much these days, seems it started dying when the talks about micro-stuttering became more normal.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I hope both companies stop multi-GPU support one day. If only to see less complaints in the driver section. Tired of SLI owners saying "this driver sucks" thinking it must suck for everyone else too.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Isn't SLI only supported (at least officially) by the top Nvidia cards (of the newer generation)?

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean, i'd be sad. but Single GPU's are just the way forward, there was always something wrong with dual cards or running sli/xfire with latency, low fps, stuttering as some issues to say a few. did it once, it's great when it works. but if it doesn't work then you have to so often switch to one gpu that some of the money you'd spend was kinda wasted

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Ego-huang worldspinsaroundme-jensen doesn't dare to speak the same and simple truth. NVIDIA means money for logo's brand name. They let good for nothing people spend their non hard earned money to play only the half of whole games' industry with mGPU atm. Lisa Su is a so much better individual tbh. NVIDIA is rotting day by day. I will purchase a green GPU once again when JHH leaves the company. SLI should be killed years now, instead they force it only on premium GPUs since two last gens. Milking vs reality. AMD is winning both at CPU and GPU fronts now. Red rebellion.!

11. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Granted, I wouldn't be opposed to doing Crossfire/SLi build if I wanted to spend an irresponsible amount of cash, but everything about it, but I feel like both companies lost the scope of where it would really shine, which was to allow people with low-to-mid-range builds the option of upgrading without having to spend an absorbent amount of money, and otherwise rendering their old card useless. I guess they never really got around to addressing that performance scaling, aside from all the other nuances associated with the technology. Hell, it would have been a slam dunk for AMD if they had refined their Hybrid Crossifre with the APU's, but I suppose that was asking too much of AMD, who apparently is still wrestling with their software support.

12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well this is good for motherboard companies. No more chipset with sli support and the one without.
    I enjoied sly from the 6600gt to the 770, then i stopped making powerful pcs for me.

I bought a x470 with sli support just because i was not sure i wanted to cut away the opportunity for me to make 1080ti sli.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Haha I think you meant "exorbitant". But otherwise yeah, I agree. I did Crossfire during the HD 5000 days and unlike most people, it worked fine for me, even on unsupported games. AFR made stuff like stuttering a lot less of an issue too.
    I also agree that it's a bit of a lost opportunity for AMD to have dropped Hybrid Crossfire. APUs often appeal to people on tight budgets, where Hybrid CF was a very cheap way to add a decent performance boost. But, they haven't made discrete-equivalents to their integrated GPUs in years, so, I'm not too surprised we haven't seen Hybrid CF in a while.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This was expected. The moment MS forced developers to write/code for mGPU in their games instead of leaving it for Nvidia or AMD drivers as before was, the "warning" of it´s death. For me it makes little difference because i never used multi GPUs but for those who like it it´s bad news.

Also i think mGPU could have some use has the demands for more performance keep increasing and Nvidia and AMD are starting to struggle to make GPUs even more powerful because of the sheer size of them.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    These posts are amusing - when Nvidia announced they were removing 3 and 4 way SLI so many people complaining about not getting the option to do it anyway and now you have people still complaining that you do have the option.

It's even dumber when you realize you were never guaranteed scaling to begin with. Even at the high of Crossfire/SLI various games would yield negative performance scaling. Both my 4780x2 and GTX 690 were terrible cards in a number of games but now when it's slightly worse (which Tom Peterson when working with Nvidia explained why) suddenly it's a problem?

fantaskarsef and Aura89 like this.

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Its always better to get 1 High-end Gpu instead of 2 midrange ones was what I was told but I did try it back in the day I had a couple Crossfire set-ups when I 1st got into pc gaming, More headache then anything really.

fantaskarsef, ZXRaziel and Serotonin like this.
  17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Chiplets are the next big thing.
    Will be interesting to see how well it works in the GPU form.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    fantaskarsef, Fox2232 and ZXRaziel like this.
  18. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Good , ......
    Only had two gpu's in sli once , it sucked some games only used one card , blue screen was common sight on my monitor because the shity drivers , and to top it all up one of the cards had died for no reason ( heat ? )
    One card for me please .

19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    in the dx9, dx10 and partially dx11 era, SLI was fine.
    On Nvidia was the only way you could make a triple monitor setup, do not forget that.
    Also scaling for me was always good, and for many games i did not play, i remember guru3d reviews here always shown a good scaling.

Also for me was always easier start with the GPU under the top ( 260, 470, 770 ) and buy a second one later.
    The difference between the top and the top - 1 was not so huge, and often buying the second one later was a good deal. Card prices used to go down, not stay stagnant.

I remember the 470 was 300+ when came out and around 180 later.

20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I like this approach. I hope they do make a very large GPU chip to compensate. LIke a little larger than 2x current Navi which is easily doable since that is still smaller than Nvidia's 2080. Better yet they figure out how to MCM / Chiplet GPU's together that present to the OS as one GPU.