CrossFire 'broken' in Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, May 31, 2016.

1. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I just pre-ordered an AIB GTX 1080 from EVGA half an hour ago and this was one of the main reasons why I did it. My R9 295x2 has the power to handle almost any game at 4K (sans VRAM limited ones) but that's only if Crossfire works. With it not working in multiple of the new(ish) games that I am playing and/or want to play I'm just sick of it.

Hilbert's review of the GTX 1080 has it at 48 FPS in TW3 @ 4k. Without AA enabled I bet that's close to 60. I'm thinking a single one will give me the FPS I'm looking for. :) I also will finally be able to play R6 Siege at 4K since CFX is totally nonexistent there.

2. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I doubt CDPR will do anything to fix this, but I could be wrong. The UI has always been slightly f*cked up with CF in TW3, ever since CF support was a thing, which is to say 1 year ago. The health bar flickers too, so there's clearly something going on. It's not the only thing that flickers however, plenty of other things glitch out too, like the actual map.

They changed the game's UI and the problems it (already!) had with CF have been exacerbated. Maybe they'll do something, but it's been flickering for a year now and I'm not too hopeful for a fix, maybe now that it's actually killing performance CDPR or AMD will actually notice.

I'm going to wait for custom models to come out and see which I should pick after that, so I'll need a bit more patience.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    And you are going to compare single gpu performance to mutli gpu performance, congrats!

P.S.
    Single card is always hassle-less in comparison to any multi gpu config, if it is crossfire or sli, not big difference between these two.

4. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    1 - I'm not sure if the first part was meant to be sarcasm or not? Anyway the answer is yes. :)

2 - I have had a number of Crossfire systems over the years and it wasn't until the last 2 years that I had problems with it. Granted it may have been due to the games I played over the years that resulted in either positive or negative results. The fact is that my current R9 295x2, which I like very much, is preventing me from playing multiple games at the image settings I wish to play at. There is something on the market that will allow me to play those games at the settings I wish --- hence my switch. Besides, it makes sense to sell my R9 295x2 while it still has decent value. :nerd:

5. ExtremeOC

ExtremeOC New Member

GPU:
    270x 1250mhz
    Everything works fine for me after turning the stats/hp bar off. No flashing icons or stuttering. Getting better performance now than before the patches actually. Having the hp bar was a crutch anyways :/

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I am currently in the process of downloading B&W from GOG. PLEASE don't tell me that xfire doesn't work! I've only got 2 7970ghz edn (6gb each), I was hoping to play at 1440p decent fps. I'll have to drop the quality. Am ordering 2 x ASUS 1080 strix when avaliable in AUS. Can't wait. Or i'll have to get 2 "founders edn", if I don't want to wait. That is NOT an option.

7. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    So it's best to play with the health bar off if running xfire. I can live with that.

8. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I thought a missing health bar wasn't so bad, but then I realized that with my sign build missing the stamina bar and not being able to see the selected sign really is pretty damn annoying.

9. jono24776

jono24776 Member

GPU:
    Palit GameRock GTX1080
    I received the following from gog support

"Hello
    Please remove all mods if you have installed any. Please open the Galaxy Client, click the game and use the MORE > Manage installation > Verify / Repair function.
    If that doesn't help please, click MORE > Settings, from the DLCS INSTALLED section remove the GAME OVERLAY and check if the issue persists.
    For further assistance with technical issues I strongly suggest also contacting the official support for the game.
    http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/?support-product=wild_hunt
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Regards
    Genoan
    GOG.com Support"

Didn't make any difference really

I have submitted a support ticket to CD projektred and AMD

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  10. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB

This kind of answers from support i call "generic support answer", probably they are copy&paste text sent by bots. Ignore it and continue with your ticket.

11. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT Black Ed
    VSync was causing my glitches... damn.

12. nichenstein

nichenstein Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 295x2
    I don t get it, its the Game of the year and we can t have a decent cfx support from amd after 1 freaking year after release. I mean i know its an Nvidia game but still, can t something be done? Im also so tempted to buy the 1080... I pay to much on electricity bills with my 295..Don t get me wrong i love the card... but i hate the lack of support...

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I had the 295X2, and 90% of the time, it was just a 290X

14. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    crossfire is crap, been crap for over a year. Sell a card, give up on it and never use MGPU again is the lesson I'm taking from all the crap crossfire performance this last year.

15. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    "Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
    We are currently investigating how to address this issue.

Regards,
    Karol Pyziak"

Received this just now from project Red support. Glad that they are at least looking into it.

16. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    I can confirm though, turning off Vsync and disabling the health bar section makes the performance on Crossfire so much smoother.

17. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    This. Last good implementation of CFX was BF4. Haven't had a game with that kind of scaling and zero issues since.

18. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Metal Gear Solid V, GTA 5 and Max Payne also had good CrossFire support. The problem with GTA 5 was the cpu bottleneck. Hitman is kind of working, but sometimes i get a ghost image after loading a save game.

It's really 50/50 for me. half the games work great and the other half either has buggy CrossFire support or no support at all. Very frustrating and it actually sucks the fun out of the games i want to play.

19. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Member

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    This kind of issue is exactly why I've pre-ordered a 1080. Crossfire is the biggest disappointment I've had with gaming in years, you pay twice the price and get worse performance.

Never going to go multi gpu again, developers just don't support it.

20. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    the 1080 would even give you a nice performance boost compared to two r9 280Xs.