Crossfire and dual monitors

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DerSchniffles, Oct 23, 2010.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Hey guys. Ive been thinking about running a crossfire setup here in the near future (not with this card obviously :) ) but the main thing that has stopped me from running crossfire or sli for that matter is the fact that once you enable cross or sli it disables your second monitor.....dont know if that is still the case but I rely on having 2 screens and use both ALL the time. anyone shed some light on this? is my previous info all jacked up?

2. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Yes you can run 2 monitors on a crossfire setup, just make sure you plug in both monitors in the main card. If you wish to run the monitors from separate cards then you must disable crossfire.

3. Dragontorc

Dragontorc Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    Does that mean if i go for eyefinity (3 monitors) i wont have crossfire anymore? or would i run the 3rd monitor from the HDMI port? (i have 5780s)

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Eyefinity works with Xfire, so you will have it. :)

5. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm running Dual Screens right now with CrossfireX and it works fine. You can't game across 2 screens (well not very often anyhow) and if you run a game in a window you lose Crossfire in that game, but it works just fine for everyday work, multitasking etc...

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    okay sweet, thats what i wanted to know ;). i dont care about a game being on 2 screens ist just having both screens working for everything else ;). thanks guys! :banana:

once you go dual monitor, you cant go back

edit: is it the same with sli as well? or is sli different?

7. valrond

valrond Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    Indeed, I've been using dual monitors for a long time now, but I just started using Crossfire a year and a half ago. I can use two monitors fine, both connected to the main card. To use the connectors from the 2nd card you have to disable CF, but even so, it is possible to use the connectors, and just enable CF to play the games.

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    umm, you have to run all three monitors from the same card.

and unless you have a sapphire card that has both a dual link and a single link dvi setup (their 5770 flex, 6850 and 6870), you're gonna need to use the display port and an active display port adapter. this is because most of the cards (aside from the cards i just mentioned) only use dual link and hence can only support two monitors connected to the dvi/hdmi ports (hdmi = dvi + audio), so to use the third, need display port.

9. Dragontorc

Dragontorc Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    Does anyone know wot the difference is between using DVID-D x 2 with a display port to vga lead for eyefinity and the same only with a displayport to DVI-D powered adapter?