Crossfire 1900 xtx question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by GODJOEY, Feb 8, 2006.

1. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    used: techpowerup.com D-Day-timedemo

system 1:

Averageframerate: 43,5 fps

Forceware 81.98

Athlon 64 3700+ (2,2@2,84)
    DFI Lanparty SLI DR
    2x XFX7800GTX 490/1300
    2048 PC400 G.Skill Cl.2.3.2.6
    Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun
    Windows XP Professional

my system:

43,6 Fps

AMD Athlon64 3500+ ClawHammer @ 2900MHz - IHS off
    ASUS Extreme Radeon X1900XT
    1GB Team XTreem DDR600 @ 290mhz 2,5-3-3-7-1T | 2,74V
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
    2x WD Caviar 120GB SATA II @ RAID0

2. I would honestly think your slight overclock to 2.9Ghz helped with you pulling that tiny bit ahead. Since two 7800GTX's are totally bottlenecked, and same with a X1900XTX, so that slight overclock gave you more GPU power with the CPU power. I don't want this to become a fanboyish argument, cause I am far from that. I am just stated what I noticed when I had the X1900XTX in this system compared to having my two 7800's.

P.S. your system also has much better RAM too, think that helps a bit also. With the same rig as in system 1, I think your framerate would actually be lower with the X1900XTX.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  3. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    you forget the following things:

- he has 2gb ram with VERY good latencies -> 2-3-2-6
    - 60mhz more practically don't make much difference
    - i don't even have a soundcard(only onboard/usb headset), makes a difference too, not much, but something ;)

4. I just ran the Techpowerup demo at these settings:

1600x1200
    85Hrtz Refresh Rate
    16xAF
    4xAA
    DirectX9 mode
    Soften Edges set to Everything
    Corpses set to Insane
    Textures set to Extra Extra and Extra
    Shadows are on
    Dynamic Lights set to High

I got average of 46.3 at those settings, normally I play at a bit lower settings for higher framerate though.

Now I don't know if the Techpowerup demo replaces my settings, but those are the settings I saved and then ran the demo after closing COD2, image quality looked a lot better then the first time i ran the demo, so i think it was saving my video settings.

5. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    hm sry, but can you post a screen of this please?
    don't take it as an offense, but i don't believe this score

6. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    Hey now, let's not turn this into a flamewar, alright? GODJOEY doesn't even have SLi GTX's, so all this talk doesn't mean anything to him. Not only are they different cards, but you've got two cores working in unison, so there are bound to be differences in the way games run (you noted more stable FPS with SLi).

In any case... Well, yeah, haven't got anything else to say on the matter.

7. ddsflyr

ddsflyr Active Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 7900GTX 512
    Right now the drivers for the X1900 series are betas that are supplied with the card. When ATI gets around to optimizing the drivers for this card and its unique architecture, performance should improve significantly. Fast RAM (mine is 2-3-2-5, and a good sound card like Creative X-FI also helps. I tested both dual GF7800GTX 256 SLI and the single X1900 XTX in my system and found the single X1900 XTX to be slightly better. This is without overclocking. I have no idea how this card will overclock.

8. How funny, I did the same as you DDsflyr and I decided to keep my SLI GTX's over the X1900XTX because SLI was giving me slightly better fps, and of course much higher benchmarks....hehe

One thing that is a con about SLI, is setting up the damn profiles or experimenting with new games to get the most out of your SLI beast of a system....Thats a big con...

Honestly, as much as ATI improves their drivers, I would rather have two 7950 in SLI over two X1900XTX's...I saw in the new 84.60 drivers nfo, they stated that the driver supported the 7900 and the 7950 GPU's. I am just going to grab two of those....

Remember I did not want this to be a flame war, I bought a X1900XTX to try it out but I didn't think it held up to my system now, so I sold it. I give it both companies a try, no biast personality here. I was just saying it would be wiser for GODJOEY to either find a cheap deal on a 7800GTX to go SLI since he has the mobo for it, or just wait for the 7900 series GPU's in a few months and SLI those if its even needed.

This frenchies two cents on it...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006
  9. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    7900 GTX BFG oc & x1900xtx
    Thanks for all the replies , I didn't want to spark anything. The cards at this level are amazing, but the price to performance is what I was going after. Just hoping some of these sites aren't padding scores because other influences or an amazingly perfect setup. Just kinda costly to make any mistakes at this level, I would like to unload the 7800 gtx 512 during it's in demand and high prices on auction sites. I do notice though you guys have some insane cpu's pushing your cards so perhaps that may also be a factor. I like the 7800 gtx 512, I just feel like I'm playing catchup cause these companies keep pumping out more and more. Making it hard to sli of course cause the demand of the nvidia cards.

10. bail_w

bail_w Banned

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX @ 515/1395
    i think You should re-phrase your sentences again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006

11. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Also, if he gets the XTX, his CPU will be a serious bottleneck. This card is made for the fastest processors around!
    It must be nice to be able to afford one.:bigsmile:

12. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    not even the fastest available CPU can bring the XT(X) to its limits...
    even my 2,9ghz-a64 is a serious bottleneck

13. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    For general gaming, bottlenecks are over hyped for everyday game play. Guys, what would u rather have? an FX-57 running a 6800GT or a 3000+ running a X1900XTX... I know which i would rather have, and i can guarantee that the XTX setup would have faster fps than the GT one despite the bottleneck.
    I have pretty big experience with bottlenecks thanks to my SLI GTX 512's, but do i notice it when im playing COD II All settings maxed 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF Transparency AA on @ 70fps? Not a chance! The only time i notice how much my CPU bottlenecks these cards is when im benching and trying to improve my 3dmark scores.

14. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    In the spirit of fairness, wouldn't 2x7800 GTX 256MB boards cost significantly more retail? That considered, isn't it logical that they'd perform better? Not trying to defend either side here, just pointing out the facts...

15. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    7900 GTX BFG oc & x1900xtx

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page25.html a 30 fps jump because of just cpu power. I can speak from first hand experience my fps with the 3400 amd vs the 4000 amd wasn't as steadily high with the 7800 gtx 512. The cpu was such a bottleneck it actually dipped below 40 in some real time playing. BF2 iron gator map 64 man on a 16 player spawn. But everyone is different, I rather have alot more power than I need than to come up short in a map change to something like that. Some people are getting 15fps on that map.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I dont doubt that bottlenecks exist, come on, i have a rig that has 'bottleneck' written all over it. My point wasnt that bottlenecks dont cause performance loss, it was that if u have a choice between either upgrading a CPU to a high end one, or upgrading a video card to a high end, u will notice the largest performance increase from the vid card upgrade in games, despite any bottleneck that may exist.

17. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI X1900XTX Zalman Fatal1ty FS_V7
    System Ram is a major bottleneck. try playing Fear or COD II Maxed out with only 1 gig of Ram, then you will wish you had at least 2 gigs.

Does the VGA ram help the system ram, or do they do seperate functions?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  18. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    yep in FEAR you can't really activate softshadows w/o 2gb of RAM :/
    not even with an x1900xt(x)

19. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    There is a difference Running an X1900XTX on an Nforce 4 Chipset as opposed to Crossfire Chipset

In the bios there is a feature called PEG Link on the crossfire board, this feature set to normal or fast will increase the performance of ATI Driven Video Cards on the Crossfire Chipset.

20. Stang289

Stang289 Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 Crossfire

Not True!, I can run it on my system with soft shadows enabled no problem.