Crossfire 1900 xtx question

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by GODJOEY, Feb 8, 2006.

1. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    7900 GTX BFG oc & x1900xtx
    Am I able to use the A8N-Premium asus board for this? I don't want to maybe make the switch in the future then realize I'm not capable. Thanks.

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Nope, the A8N premium is an Nforce 4 SLI board, NOT a crossfire board. U need a new motherboard with the crossfire chipset in order to use 2 ATI cards in crossfire mode.

3. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Well, if you are adamant on getting the XTX (I would be) get a single card, use it until the RD580 comes out, then CF them.

Besides, you could probably sell that 512 of yours for around 700-800 USD. Keep in mind an XTX is only around 549 USD. You're making quite a bit of profit, AND getting an increase in performance. What's not to like?

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Although remember there will be NO XTX crossfire master cards, only XT ones, so your XTX will be slowed down by the XT in crossfire mode. Really for crossfire it makes more sense to get 2 XT's than one XTX and one Master XT card, or u are just wasting cash.

5. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    You can always overclock the XT to XTX speeds.. it's like 20 mhz on the core.

6. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the info, I figured I would have to end up getting a crossfire supported board. Curious what the best warranty company for the x1900 xtx is? Only reason I went with bfg. True I did like the benchmarks on the x1900xtx and that pricetag you just can't deny. Like I said I am thinking Nvidia is like intel and ati seems like amd more bang for the buck so to speak. Not knocking either company I just don't like the prices Nvidia is really taking advantage.

Also if anyone has any other benchmarks, I need to really get convinced on this. I do notice some sites are more partial than others and I would like to know who is really straight on with their benchmarks nothing biased.

Reason is I play alot of bf2 and I noticed ati is soaking up those benchmarks bigtime.

7. Opty

Opty Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Gecube x1900xtx
    Sorry to othes that may of already said this but x1900xtx is not a crossfire card only the x1900xt come in crossfire. (sorry was in a hurry)

8. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    Don't know if I'm allowed to post links to newegg but they have an ASUS crossfire ready x1900xtx card, not a master? But I would still have to overclock a 1900xt I suppose.

9. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    As I said, with the CF Master Card, you would simply have to overclock very little on the core (a guaranteed overclock) to get an XTX CF master card.

10. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You would be better or getting a crossfire master X1900XT and a slave X1900XT.

The XTX would be forced to slow down to the XT's speeds. Yes it can be overclocked but then again you would be better doing that with both cards as with a XT/XTX setup one card will always hold the other back.

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Yep, I agree with Xaser, would make more sense to get 2 XT's. Always better when overclocking in Dual GPU cards to have 2 cards that speak the same language imo. ;)

12. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    As the above 2 said, and also, two XT's would ultimately be cheaper than an XT and XTX by quite a pursuading margin.

13. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    Ok 1 more question for the ATI gurus. Will using an ASUS a8n premium slow down the x1900xtx ? I saw in some benchmarks it loses alot in the 3dmark because it wasn't using a crossfire 200 specific ati board. I then would have to totally revamp my entire system to really benefit if this is the case. This is if I was just going to use the single x1900xtx.

I don't see many benchmarks of the 1900xtx using the nforce4 asus board and when I did the marks looked like they took a performance hit. The main reason I'm asking if anyone has first hand experience and #'s of like 3dmark06 and 05. Just trying to make sure I don't make a mistake without having to upgrade everything again.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  14. ddsflyr

ddsflyr Active Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 7900GTX 512
    I have a similar board (A8N32 SLI Deluxe) and X1900 XTX. This setup is so fast it is hard to understand why anyone would really need crossfire. Most framerates at high resolutions are off the chart anyway. I run very demanding stuff such as flight simulators that test the CPU as well as the videocard and even in OpenGL the performance is amazing.

15. Fredvan27

Fredvan27 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI X1900XTX Zalman Fatal1ty FS_V7
    Yes the XTX is a crossfire card! You just get the 1900XT Crossfire master to match up with it. Like Mike already pointed out it will clock down to the XT Master.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    You shouldnt have any problems running a single xtx on an nforce 4 board. It should run exactly as its meant to - no slow down at all.

17. GODJOEY

GODJOEY Active Member

GPU:
    Ok I finally found someone online that actually has my board and benched the 3dmark05. I notice the same system specs just different cards and his x1900xtx is scoring under 9000. The 7800 gtx 512mb scored 9700+ out the box on my 3400 amd cpu.

This is why I am worrying about making the switch without changing out a motherboard to perhaps take full advantage of the card.
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t17748.html

If you scroll down to this name stevegreen27 you can see his benchmarks are 9300's using a dual core. I'm wondering what's going on after seeing some benchmarks online are they inflating the marks? I mean every mark I saw always had the 3dmark05 over 10k every time.

18. I wouldn't make the switch, I have two 7800GTX's 256MB's and in gaming I am running a lot smoother then when I tested a X1900XTX on my system. For a single card the X1900XTX is nice, but I would rather keep the 7800GTX 512 until March or april, when the 7900 series cards are out. Then you can SLI them without having to swap your motherboard out.

Just my two cents...

I also don't think you will see a big difference going from a 512 7800 to a X1900XTX if any difference at all. When I put my X1900XTX in my rig, it was fast in gaming, but the framerate wasn't as steady as my two 7800's, so it was kind of a downgrade. I sold the X1900XTX and going to upgrade to two 7950's or whatever their next highest end card is...Oh ya, the ATI CCC, do I have to say anything else? LOL

P.S. Do not flame this poor french man, I am not biast, or I wouldn't of bought a X1900XTX.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  19. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    it depends on the game...
    in CoD2 i get the same results as a GTX-SLI
    if AA/AF is enabled i'm in front of the GTXs

20. In tests, the SLI GTX's pull ahead more against one X1900XTX when AA and AF is enabled and resolutions are set higher....

When I ran my X1900XTX, the framerate wasn't as steady at max resolutions with AA and AF enabled compared to the GTX setup.