Crimson and Crossfire Issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by seabiscuit68, Feb 14, 2016.

1. seabiscuit68

seabiscuit68 New Member

GPU:
    G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GB DDR3
    I understand that Crimson has had some issues with crossfire, but from what I gather, my issues appear relatively unique.

As soon as I updated to Crimson (regardless of version - 15.1.1, 15.2, 16.1, 16.1.1) my crossfire breaks in 75% of games. It works in games like Fallout 4, Metro 2033 and Civ V, but it is completely broken in pretty much everything else...

Diablo III, Xcom Enemy Unknown, The Room, Rocketleague, Batman Arkham Asylum, etc.

When I say that it is broken, I mean really broken. Each game will boot up and you can hear the startup sound for about 5 seconds at a black screen, and then it crashes with an error message. I've tried everything. I tried using DDU. AMDs driver uninstaller, a complete reformat and reinstall of the OS....

As soon as I go back to 15.7.1, all the issues go away.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here? I see people saying that crimson in the games I listed works with crossfire, so what is going on with my setup?

2. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    I can only speak for D3, not for the other games since I don't play them. D3 has always been weird/broke-ish with CF for me. I only ever got any load on the 2nd card when playing in full-screen with in-game VSync enabled and even then it doesn't seem to be much help at all. That hasn't changed for me with Crimson, which is to say it's still pretty much broken/useless even at 4K.

3. seabiscuit68

seabiscuit68 New Member

GPU:
    Agreed that it has been broken for a while, but in the non-crimson drivers, it at least loads and doesn't crash with an error report number.

4. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I guess it must be something on your end, it works "fine" for me on 16.1, as it always had. The mouse lag with VSync is terrible though.

5. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Rocket League on AFR Friendly works perfect with the 16.1.1

6. seabiscuit68

seabiscuit68 New Member

GPU:
    I figured it was on my end, but a reformat and clean install should have taken care of that....

any thoughts on what it could be?

7. seabiscuit68

seabiscuit68 New Member

GPU:
    Anyone using crossfire + crimson - what resolution are you playing? I found a thread with another guy that is having the exact same issues as me. He mentioned he was using a 1440p monitor. I am as well. Maybe the issue is exclusive to higher resolution monitors?

8. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX

I can't get elite dangerous to load at 1440p, only at 1080p. I have to load the game at 1080p then switch in game to 1440p. Its weird.

These crimson drivers broke alot of ****. Did they bring back the "enable crossfire in games without a profile" option back? That was the only way to get CF to work in games with no profile for me.

I'm on 15.11 as 16.1 removes that option.

9. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I can get up to 1440p with VSR and works just perfect ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kace36

Kace36 New Member

GPU:
    Dual AMD 7970's
    Same issue Crossfire broken with Crimson drivers

I have the same type of issues. All versions of Crimson have broken many games in Crossfire for me and I have to completely disable it (leaving the "enable all profiles" option unticked doesn't work). I get a black or flashing screen then drop to desktop in many games with Crossfire enabled.

The only solution is going back to Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta (or earlier). That fixes everything perfectly. The maddening thing is no matter what I do the drivers update about every 2 weeks. I have turned off the auto update option in the driver control panel and I have even found the underlying windows task scheduler item repsonsible for updating the drivers and disabled it. Still Windows will update and then the AMD drivers are back to Crimson again! It's become so frustrating I have to do this over and over. Each time I have to use DDU (display driver uninstaller), reboot, reinstall Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta. And then I'm good again for about 10-15 more days. So damn disappointing and maddening!

Has anyone found out what the problem is?
    Or even a way to stop the AMD drivers from updating?

For reference I'm running on Windows 10 with dual Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970's.

11. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Yup, CF is broken for most games for me too. I have had nothing but problems. I have games that others here run just fine and mine is always messed up. Ive tried so many things but it would seem its a driver issue. We are not the first!

12. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    Do yourselves a huge favour, it's time to chin off that Crossfire setup. I'm in the same boat as most, the last year has been the worst for Crossfire, I spend more time looking for ways to get it working in new games now than actually playing those new games. Crossfire is one gigantic marketing lie from AMD now, nothing is ever supported, if it is it'll flicker like crazy or stutter all over the place. Vega can't come soon enough for me, If I didnt have a Freesync screen, I'd jump to Nvidia and a 1080 in no time at all, I really believe AMD are dead in the water this year.

13. Ironjer

Ironjer Active Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 295X2 CrossfireX
    i feel your pain bro. i have a CrossfireX Setup (2 x 295X2) and are headache.

14. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Hell, I have a FreeSync monitor too and at this point I'm 90% sure I'm going to jump on a GTX 1080 (or even 2, that should cover 4K 60FPS quite nicely) since this is simply too frustrating for me to bother with until Vega. I had 2 5850s and then 2 7970s and was generally happy, but these 2 290Xs have been highly disappointing for no other reason than terrible CF support.

As for FreeSync, it's nice but I'd rather have high performance and working software support for games.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  15. seabiscuit68

seabiscuit68 New Member

GPU:
    I've troubleshot this over the last few months and have come to the following definitive conclusion:

1440p monitor is to blame (well...crossfire is, but you get the point)

I can enable and use crossfire with no issues on my 1080p monitor. Switch it over to the QNIX 1440p and it doesn't boot a lot of games (any game with a profile created prior to Crimson).

Very frustrating. All's I want is 60fps+ on 1440p - I will have to get a 1080...nothing else can do that...grrrr $700 because AMD can't fix their crap

16. Zemial

Zemial Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7970 @ CF
    Battlefield 4 in CF ending a bsod here. 15.10beta --> everything works.

17. sekta

sekta Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Haven't tested that many games, but crossfire seems to be forced on in every game I tried. Disabling or changing crossfire modes in the game profile doesn't seem to do anything.

18. ddelamare

ddelamare Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    I've given up with CF and bought a Single powerful card (Nano)
    Best decision i've made in a long time.

Less heat, less noise, less draw, more power. :banana:

19. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT X TRIO
    CF more hassle than its worth lately. Soon as I can get a single card as powerful as my 3 they will be replaced.

20. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Member

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    My experience with my 280X's crossfired has taught me to never touch it ever again. It works only half the the time at best and when it does you don't get close to twice the performance, despite paying twice the price!

From this point on my spending everything in one go and buying a high-end card rather than CFing mids. Plus I'm likely going to Nvidia for my next card mainly because of how terrible the AMD drivers and CF support has been.