CREATIVE X-FI - the thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Crashing Edje, Jul 27, 2005.

1. MiccyNarc

MiccyNarc Member

GPU:
    Leadtek Winfast A400 6800 LE, pipes
    I suck. Why did I buy my Audigy this year instead of waiting? 2 days after I installed it the Xfi announcement came out. I'm so mad right now.

Ah well you live and learn :p

*adds Xfi to list of things to buy...next year*

2. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Member

GPU:
    Evga 7900 GT 256mb
  3. skyln

skyln Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX
    I've been waiting for this and didn't buy a sound card on my new system for a reason. I've been using onboard sound (which isn't too bad). I'll wait maybe 1-2 months to see if there is a price drop etc. to get it though. Probably buying the platinum.

4. Fellfromgrace

Fellfromgrace New Member

I agree I just built my computer and have used onboard sound waiting for the X-FI..couldnt see dropping 250 bucks on the audigy pro only to have it be out-dated in a month lol

5. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    those are reasonable prices, but we'd better wait. we know creative's drivers history.

6. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, Your right XAN, guys I would wait a bit.....Now looking at that fatality..why would they make a card thats supposed to be stricly for gaming have all that audio I/O...that you would normally find on a card geared for music?..just a thought.

8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    just read the announcement, and if im right, only the fatality version supports eax, does that mean that the fatality is the only one that will be of use for gamers?

9. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x Evga sc GTX 780
    When do you think we'll see these in stores?

10. TheDeceiver

TheDeceiver Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800gt OC 256mb
    the 4 versions will be unveiled at quakecon august 12-14th and they will be available in retail outlets on august 22nd

11. TheDeceiver

TheDeceiver Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800gt OC 256mb
  12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would assume every model has EAX, I don't think Creative would mind if you bought there top of the line card to play games with. Same as that game edition seeming to have all those audio connectors on the live drive that usually would be used to connect musical equipment. I think everything will be interchangable to some degree..

13. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    it's really hard to imagine a Creative card without EAX... no way. all of them should have it, things that can vary are the amout and type of memory, software bundled, audio connectors, accesories, etc. EAX is a standard in every card these days (except EAX 3.0 and Advanced EAX-HD), these four models should support up to the new EAX 5.0., but I haven't read the whole story, so I may need correction. ;)

14. TheDeceiver

TheDeceiver Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800gt OC 256mb
    read everywhere you like ... the fatality editon is the ONLY one with eax 5.0 and cmdss (3d headphone thingy).. yes sad for us... but meh... gotta start saving up haha

15. Kon³v

Kon³v Active Member

GPU:
    Legend 7800GT
    typical creative ****.

just bought a HDA digital X-mistique. im happy ;)

16. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    meh, that SUCKS!

17. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Sorry but no-one is going to convince me that it's worth it for the average pc gamer

the speakers most people use wouldn't let you hear the difference anyway. In fact, i doubt the majority of people could pick it out even if you could hear a difference

Maybe for recording and such...but then there are cards that i would think offer more feature at lower prices

My guess is that you would need a VERY high fidelity audio set up to notice it...like £3000 worth of stuff on speakers/amps

I have a nice sounding system, but i would never even consider a card costing that much (at the moment anyway)

Think about how much the A2 was when it first came out?

Or the 9800Pro? or any of the state of the art things...

i'm going to wait a few months, and see if they make a cheaper version.

18. TheDeceiver

TheDeceiver Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800gt OC 256mb
    thats the thing dude... they developped a thing called "cmss 3d" which makes even the cheapest 2.1 headphones or speakers sound like gold...

X-Fi CMSS-3D delivers the most realistic surround sound experience over headphones, 2-speaker or multi-speaker configurations!

CMSS 3D on Headphones
    You'll know exactly where your enemies are even if you are wearing headphones and it's so advanced you'll even forget you're wearing them! - Nothing can prepare you for how good this sounds!

CMSS 3D on Multi-channel speakers
    With multi-channel speakers (5.1, 6.1 or 7.1) it can use virtual positions to place sounds anywhere around you for the most detailed and believable 3D audio you've ever heard!

what they made with this ound card is groudbreaking... but still gonna wait for price drop and reviews

19. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Hmm

I'm intrigued, i must say.

Still though - are the people buying this card going to have cheap speakers/headphones?

Everything i've read though says that this card is amazing - so it must be doing something out of the ordinary.

Its just the price :mad:

20. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    indeed price it is... i'm not convinced; it adds dsp to music to make it sound "better"? I suspect is will apply technologys similar to those found in vitalizer (a device that adds harmonies to certain frequencies to make the sound "wider" and improves stereo effect using differances phasing) rack units. I would like to see a review from proffesional music magazines such as sound on sound http://www.soundonsound.com

Regarding dsp, imo anyones who has to add eq or any dsp to already produced music has inadiquate equipment- when you produce a piece of music, it is intended to sound good-as it intended without ANY EQ or DSP, if it doesn't you've probably got an equipment problem, hence i'm not too sure about this card, if it makes music sound better than the professionals that made it, i'll eat my hat.