Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends what you want from your soundcard.
    If you like CMSS3D or play games that make use of EAX in some way, you will want to stick with Creative, or Auzentechs X-fi series.

The new Creative ZXR should be good, but it might be wise to wait for reviews.
    The Phoebus is a very good card.

If you cant feed analogue 5.1 into your amp, you will have to compromise on the sound quality of 5.1 or get a better setup.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The cables I linked was if you had a titanium fatal1ty pro card or any card that does multi channel analogue. It's a waste to use the titanium HD for digital connection because you're right that it would still be using your speakers dac. Ok, so if you got any of the new creative z series, that would give you awesome sound compared to what you are using now, and you would then use the second set of cables I linked you to in the other post :) Oh, and I can safely promise that you will get much higher quality sound out of those logi speakers to what you have now... Guaranteed:)

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    RadDoll & Mufflore many thanks for your much appreciated advice so far.

I'm now looking at what cables are best, but the price range are shocking. Which ones are best out of these please, i'm looking for the best cables so money isn't a problem here:

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...audio-3-5mm-jack-to-jack-stereo-interconnect-

(QED Performance Audio 3.5mm Jack To Jack Stereo Interconnect)

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/3855/fisual-s-flex-3-5mm-jack-to-jack-cable

(Fisual S-Flex 3.5mm Jack to Jack Cable) - Custom hand made to order

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...ereo-jack-to-jack-30cm-install-series-special

(Fisual 3.5mm Stereo Jack To Jack - 30cm Install Series Special) - only £4

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...avana-35-custom-made-3-5mm-male-to-male-cable

Fisual Havana 35 - Custom Made 3.5mm Male To Male Cable

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/5417/fisual-rio-3-5mm-jack-cable

Fisual Rio 3.5mm Jack Cable

I don't no much about cable brands but has anyone heard of Fisual?

Again many thanks for your input.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI

5. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    Thanks RagDoll, those were the 2 i suspected.

Do you think purely for gaming i'd notice a difference between the ZXR or the Z model of sound blaster? If not then i'll go ahead and purchase the cables and Z model soundcard today.

Also one other thing, is it better to use analog for just games or also movies too? Just wondering whether i should switch to optical (digital) when i watch a movie so that i can listen to it in DTS or Dolby, or does analog also do DTS and Dolby? Little confused on this.

I appreciate the question on the soundcard is a difficult one and might be impossible to answer considering there aren't any reviews out yet but going by the specs are you able to tell? It's purely for games and movies. If it's to early to say that's fine too : )

6. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    I've always used Creative sound cards but do like ASUS, should i jump ships and buy the new ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 card? Anyone used this card or feel it will be a better card than the ZXR or identical even?

7. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    All I can suggest is to wait and see if Robscix reviews the ZXR. I am waiting for the ZXR myself, I'm really hoping it's going to be worth the purchase. If its not an upgrade over the Prelude I'm using then it wont get it. Fingers crossed as i'd love a new soundcard. From what I hear about the Phoebus is not that impressive. Its a good card but apparently the Essence is still better.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    np happy to help.

Why are you looking at 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cables.
    Is that what you need to connect to your amp?
    If not, look at these
    http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/category/19/3-5mm-jack-phono-cables/

Never heard of Fisual but they dont look bad if you choose an OFC design.
    QED are ok.
    These are still the lower end of cables, but you dont need better with your current kit.
    Even then, the returns arent big spending more unless you get a pretty special cable.
    This is why I recommend OFC cables, if they are genuine OFC, they will be pretty good no matter the price.
    The connectors quality/design can affect the sound too but you wont notice unless you get some expensive gear.

Just get a cheap but nice OFC cable.

9. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    I need 3x 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cables to go from the back of my new soundcard (which will either be the sound blaster ZXR or Asus Phoebus) depending on what is better, no review as of yet for the sound blaster, these cables then go into the back of my Logitech console, ZZ5500 5.1 setup. I don't think i can use the cables you've recommended.

The more i read about the Asus Phoebus the more i feel like jumping ships and giving it a try but seems silly to do that as the ZXR is just around the corner and could prove to be better. Just hope my impatience doesn't get the better of me.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah, gotcha, just making sure your cable choice was good.
    Hang on for the ZXR, at least see how well it is reviewed.

11. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    By looking at the card here it doesn't look to me like it does 5.1 analog, similar to the Xfi Titanium HD. I must be wrong because the Z does 5.1 analog so it would't make sense for the ZXR not to right?

Have a look here:

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/image.php?id=31745&row=1

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    When you are about to buy a new soundcard for 5.1 analogue, why are you looking at your old one that doesnt do 5.1 analogue?
    The new card will have 4x 3.5mm stereo connections for 7.1 analogue, guaranteed.

I was talking about the connections to your ZZ5500, are they phono or 3.5mm jack.
    And does it allow 3 stereo analogue connections (at least) for 5.1?
    I cant find any images of the zz5500 online to verify.

edit:
    Ah I misread, there will be 4x 3.5mm jack from the new card.
    There has to be otherwise it wont give 7.1 analogue out.

Consider that the ZXRs main benefit is that it is a superior 7.1 analogue card.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea the picture makes it look like its stereo, but they could include a RCA to 3.5 cable. To convert those two RCA's thats on the main card, into 3.5 outputs. If not most likey those Two RCAs on the main card might work as Front L&R outputs while useable with the other two plugs for Rear and center outputs. Thats what I think it could be, as it doesnt make sense to have Two sets of RCAs on it. Unless one pair was RCA input.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  15. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    Here is how the back of the control panel for the Z5500 looks. It has 3x 3.5mm jacks, no phono i believe.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=lo...dsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:0,i:130&tx=136&ty=29

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep, looks good.

17. rincewind

rincewind Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    Thank you for the welcome :)

Well, I am extremely happy with it. That's why I am dying to see a professional review.

My last card was a Xonar DG and the Z sounds way better than that.

There is no bloatware with this card. It installs very quickly and the control panel is very simple to use.

It's the first purchase I have made in along time without reading any reviews. I am very pleased with the card and would recommend it.

18. ac252c

ac252c New Member

Multiclient ASIO support? (ability to run multiple ASIO+WASAPI(shared)+DirectSound+MME applications at the same time)
    Although X-Fi/Audigy also have multiclient support I just hope that Creative can confirm this.

Does Z have a control panel similar to EMU's PatchMix/X-Fi's Audio Creation Mode as well?

19. rincewind

rincewind Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    Nope, well at least not in the release version of the driver.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeh, because there's no ASIO support yet.