Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It will be if you use optical.
    You only get the benefits of a good audio quality soundcard if you use analogue.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    This ^

3. rincewind

rincewind Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    Hi All,

I found this thread while looking for reviews about the Creative Z. I got mine two weeks but still no site has a review up yet apart from some Russian one.

Anybody else purchase one?

4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Welcome to Guru3D :)

So, how is it? Would really appreciate your opinions on it and hopefully compared to your old card/onboard :)

thanks,
    RagDoll.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Hmm.. If you're gonna get it, then please do tell how it works out for you in Cubase?5

6. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    why on earth would you buy a soundblaster for cubase 5? you're mixing consumer hardware functionality with pro software...?
    something about having/eating cake isn't it?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Do you have a problem with that??

Fyi X-FI pro with ASIO2.0 does its job just fine for a hobby user, at least in Frutyloops, Logic5 or Reason5..

edit:

O yeah I ate enough cake for today, it was very good lol ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    You wouldn't notice any thing if you use optical with the sound card. Since then the sound card will be used as a optical transport into your Logitech speakers dac, so the logitech will be the factor in the sound quailty when digital is used. Just get the cheapest card if your planning on staying with optical. its analog where you will notice the difference.

9. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    OMG all this time i never knew this, feel kind of stupid now. So i should use the analog cables, i always thought that optical was better, just assumed. So by using the optical cable my speakers are decoding the sound, so i should buy some analog cables, forgive me if this sounds stupid but the analog cables or the 3 cables right (front/rear/centre - sub)?

I always thought that optical was the same thing but just used one cable instead of 3. The optical cable runs from my sound card to my speaker system so i just naturally assumed the sound would be the same and that my sound card would be doing all the work.

So analog is better right? Does it matter which analog cables you use or should you buy the more expensive ones like belkin?

10. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    I'm a little confused, my X-fi Titanium HD came with 2x optical cables and 1 RCA to stereo cable which means i need to purchase the analog cable separate right?

Can someone send me a link so i know what an analog cable looks like?

I'm assuming the analog cable has 6 connectors, 3 which go into the sound card and then 3 that plug into the bag of my Logitech controller?

How much better will the sound be using analog?

Are you saying that because i've been using optical it means my speakers have been sending the sound to each speaker or using it's own DAC instead of the soundcard doing it?

Sorry as you can tell i have no clue. But i'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me :)

11. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    I've googled analog cables, also 6 channel direct audio cables, can't find any online. What is the correct name? I'm based in the UK. I also tried Belkins website but can't find these cables. Help please. Please send me a link to the best analog cables on the market.

Seriously in my Xfi Titanium HD installation guide it show me an analog option which shows a picture of the cable which has 3 connectors on one end which plug into the soundcard and then 3 connectors on the other end which plug into your home theatre system but i can't for the life of me find this cables anywhere online, please help.

So analog is better than digital right? I've been using digital via optical cable for a year now while playing all my games. Will i notice a big difference when i start playing analog? that's if i can ever find the bloody cables.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes, get decent quality OFC copper cables, they dont all cost a lot.
    Your speakers amplifier has a DAC built onto it, this is what converts the audio to analogue and is a major part of the quality.
    Your soundcard has a DAC as well. A good soundcard will have a much better DAC than that in your amp.

One is analogue, one is digital.
    Where the Digital to Analogue Conversion is done is what matters.

Analogue connection from your PC is only better if the DAC in your soundcard is better than the DAC in your digital connected equipment.
    Cable quality also can matter.

Dont buy Belkin unless you have heard them and prefer them.
    For now, get some Oxygen Free Copper cables.
    There are some well priced cables, they dont all cost a lot.
    If you are in the US , go to Monoprice.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    3 of these if you're connecting to a receiver: http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Phono...LSVS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353539751&sr=8-4

3 of these if you're connecting to a 5.1 speaker pc setup: http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stere...DC3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353539944&sr=8-1

What speakers do you have?

14. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    my speakers are the Logitech Z5500 and i'm using an X-fi Titanium HD sound card. Does this sound card support analog, think i just read somewhere that it don't?

15. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    RAGDOL those cables you linked me to aren't they only for the right and left speakers? I'm using a 5.1 setup?

16. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The Titanium HD only supports stereo analog. You can't get 5.1 analog from it.

17. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    Do they sell these oxygen free copper cables as a set which the connectors already on them without me having to wire them up? I'm no so good at the technical stuff.....evidently. A link would be much appreciated.

Also i'm not convinced that the Xfi Titanium soundcard supports analog, anyone know for sure?

18. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    I thought as much, that's why the analog setup in the installation guide only shows a front and right cable being used.

So i have no choice but to use optical which means i'm using my logitechs DAC instead of the one that is probably superior on my soundcard :(

What about the new sound cards, the sound blaster Z do they support analog?

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  20. seizetheday4eva

seizetheday4eva Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680 4GB GTX
    Damn i enjoy using 5.1, can't go back to stereo. So what sound card support analog then? What about the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus? Or the new sound card by Creative the Z's?

Seems old that they don't support 5.1 analog if it's superior over digital. What's the point in buying the ZXR for it's DAC if i'm going to have to use an optical cable and use the DAC on my logitech speakers?