Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They are better then the DG. I am guessing you mean a normal Z, not the ZXR?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes, the normal Z.

3. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    I bought the Z from NewEgg, should be getting it soon. It should be a big difference from using the sound from the motherboard.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Normal Z and Zx cards aren't meant for high quality recording. ZxR on the other hand has good ADC and high quality components. I've never experienced this random suicide with this or Forte.

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HHKHJmTytQ

Here you go guys

I did a test of Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium vs Sound Blaster Z

Let me say right now, the Sound Blaster Z sounds much, much better

Sound Blaster Z part starts at 8:55

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Really nice. I'm honestly very glad Creative has stepped up their game. The drivers for this are impeccable, something I've never seen from Creative before. The product overall is just very good. Quite happy with it.

7. glfi

glfi Member

GPU:
    R290
    I went to Creative forum and read that ZXR can't power properly Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones, as told here http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=699412

Then the same thing could with my T1. I was wondering why Creative did not put external power connector to the card...

I think i pass until i get maybe some confirmation when Guru3D review's the card.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    just got my Z, but they sent me the oem version. fine with me, but I would really like the mic. does any one of you guys have one that you're not using? will pay, of course.

edit: just noticed my Z oem came with Nichicon caps. I thought they were only supposed to come with Zx/ZxR?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  9. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You must have received one of the first batch cards as these all came with Nichicon caps. Apparently this is not the case with more recent batches. I believe you can buy the beamforming mic from creative.
    I checked and cannot find it on the UK store but it is on the asian store but they do not ship to the UK.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks mate. I've checked eBay already but no luck. still, if everyone has a spare one, I'll take it off you.

11. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    How are you finding it compared to your DX? I find the sound a bit flat until I turn on the EQ and tweak it, then it is awesome sounding.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have a DG and I haven't tried it yet, will do in a couple of hours when I get in from work.

13. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    yea can't wait for a proper review from robscix, looking to build a new system soon and thinking whether or not to get the zxr or just migrate my titanium hd to the new pc...

and the underpowering hp amp doesn't bother me too much, my headphones (alessandro ms1, shure 1440) doesn't require much juice, and my dream hp (alessandro ms pro) doesn't need much either haha, plus i already have a jds labs o2 amp :p

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok, put the card in, run the drivers and it comes back with an error " Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system." the card is firmly in the slot. what gives?

Windows finds the card and installs the drivers under sound, video and game controllers as "High Definition Audio Device".

Tried manually update that by pointing it to the driver files but says that the best driver is already installed.

EDIT: nvm, worked it out. Turns out that the only PCIe slot that was available on the board was switched off. The main PCIe slot has the hd 7950 in it, and that card blocks my 2nd PCIe slot. so the Z could only go in the slot above the hd 7950. now that blocked PCIe slot was set to high performance (or whatever it was) in bios, which disables the PCIe slot above the gpu. Put that to a different value and that re-enabled the PCIe above the gpu and the card installed fine :)

15. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    You can try putting the card in another slot. the x4 or x8 PCIE slot will work also.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nvm, fixed. there was no other slots available.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    what is the latest driver btw? I installed 1.00.11 but the auto update is telling me there's a newer driver?

Just trying the card with some tunes. Moves like Jagger is a great little tune for that imho, some clean guitars, bass drum, sume dance and various vocals. it sounds pretty good so far. Marginally louder than the DG on highest gain. So far so good. I set the speakers in windows to stereo and using the headphone output in the control panel.

A few things:
    1. any way to bind keys to turn surround on/off?
    2. same but for switching between headphone and speakers?
    3. why isn't there a "reset to default" button for every tab in the CP?

Would be nice to have those switching options mainly though.

Just tried Illegal Bass by Bass Outlaws and omg. Headache even with my AD700. Plenty of bass.

EDIT: Another thing that would be nice. Get that volume sorted Creative. Using the Headphone output it's pretty loud, although according to Anarion even the Line Out is loud. I want a bit more travel on my volume knob. Although I did try to push some songs to max volume, still sounded great, but just way too loud imho.

EDIT2: I'm still after one of those beamforming microphones. so if any of you guys have one that came with your card but not using it, I'll buy it off you. Get in touch.

EDIT3: This thing sounds amazing in BF3! The only game I've tried so far. tried setting the speakers to stereo and to 5.1 in windows and enabling Surround from SBX for BF3. It sounded miles better than Dolby Headphone on the Xonar DG. Not sure about the positioning accuracy, but the sound quality was definitely better, more natural, less hollow. What do you guys use for gaming with Surround enabled? Stereo or 5.1 in windows settings?

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The one I received was revision A with the golden Nichicon caps. Seems revisions B and later don't have them. Also, this card really is heaven for game audio. Sounds so rich.

19. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    OH MY GOD!!!
    I just got my card in today and it sounds 1000X better than the motherboard soundcard!! I'm listening to music as I typed this and I'm in love with this card.

Where do you live eclap? I don't see myself using the mic anytime soon, I can sell you mine.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hampshire uk. postage shouldn't be too much for such a small item. I'll pm you.