Creative releases Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Gaming Sound Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    They used to have horrible support, but they've turned things around quite a bit and have even been updating drivers for 10+ year old cards like my X-Fi Titanium HD. I can't think of many companies who still give driver support to such old products.

FranciscoCL likes this.
  2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    I can concur, their driver support(or support at all, including email/phone solving problems) is now way better.
    Basically I cannot say I have problems with their drivers now. I used ZX, then ae-5, now ae-7.
    Had 1 glitch, with drivers/installation, but it was (maybe)due some leftovers when I plugged in ae-5 in my Windows7 just after ZX removal. Only solution was system reinstall, because somehow my registry file was corrupted beyond repair possibility, and creative support pointed this to me in correspondence. So yea, support is better.

3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Well, um, there's...um...nope. I refuse to touch anything with Creative in the name since about 2002 when they started doing hostile takeovers of companies (Aureal, Sensaura) with better products and killing them off to keep the horrid EAX going. Making the manufacturers with better sound cards for 1/10th the price of a SounBlaster retroactively pull and remove the Aureal/Sensaura effects from their drivers in effect breaking their products.

@#$% Creative! Forever.

Same goes for Razer, who conveniently "went out of business" to avoid replacing all the defective, overpriced garbage they produced, only to reappear later and rinse repeat.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    I am in shock to see people actually praising Creative for the AE-5. The drivers are a train wreck, the "scout radar" works for 1% of the population (have you guys gone and read the Google Market for Android for anything Creative related to the gimmicks their marketing teams associate with their drivers? You've not seen a more venomous group and if you do go and check it out where is Creative Support? They have gotten better you say? What universe do you come from?

As someone above said - this company is on the same level as Razer. This company is like the MCI Worldcom of techno-plebes, the Enron of electronic trinkets and the Amway of Audio. It's unfortunate because I believe that the Creative engineers who design the hardware go home at night and ask why God is punishing them for sending such a mismatched percentage of retarded developers to their company when compared to the average?

I have an AE-5 brand new in a box. The first person to PM me I will send them free of charge and pay for the postage (in USA since international is tough right now with Corona Virus) if they promise to post on this thread that they did receive it so there is a public record for all of eternity of my big middle finger to Creative that I'd feel like I was doing something unethical asking for someone to actually pay for it.

LOL - RGB on a soundcard. WTF. As for latency would some of you just stop trying to think. You are obviously not equipped for it and still stuck in a world where USB 2.0 and PCI slots exist.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Sound cards had their time, but think its past that with better alternatives for superior sound. My last sound card was 6 years ago (Creative Zx). Once you find proper outboard solutions, you'll never go back. For gamers, some mistakenly think only sound cards provide a dedicated solution (for positional audio). That may have been the case back in Windows XP days but no longer so now. Games have all the directional cues coded in and windows 10 audio architecture passes them through well enough. Once I heard HDMI > receiver + multi-channel speakers for gaming and movies, I wanted to throw my sound card out the window.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah I keep hearing just running a HDMI from the GPU is apparently a really good solution though it would be a bit of work figuring out the whole combination not that it's that big it's just that there's a lot to choose from and the budget is basically low cost to incredibly expensive. :D

AMD has a little audio chip TruAudio something but I have no idea how much software actually uses that part but just running the audio signal into the receiver and a good set of speakers or a headphone of not-gamer quality is likely a good setup without making things too costly or complex.
    (EDIT: Or too RGB but there's probably choices for either preference there.)

7. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    AFAIK, Creative is from Singapore. Sometimes I do wonder why it can stand out when most hardwares are from China and Taiwan.

On another note, the amount of stereo PC gamers in here is frightening.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Actually simpler than it sounds. To go the HDMI route you only have one (feasible) option really, and that is an AV receiver. Of course you can complicate it by going separates, like pre-amps/DACs + power amps, but not really worth it imo. Decent speakers + sub are a must though (Hi-fi, not PC speakers) and you should be able to get good 5.1 package deals (although center ch not really needed for PC systems due to the relative closeness of the front speakers).

Re AMD TruAudio, no point in it if using an AV receiver, since the latter would almost certainly have the higher grade DSP chips vs the AMD chip.

p.s. all the above does not apply to headphones, which have a whole different array of options to choose from and where an AV receiver is probably not the way to go.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  9. Quakeme666

Quakeme666 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060
    Hilbert,

I wanted to share something I found on the creative website. As a Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition owner I am kind of excited to see they are doing something like this.
    I bought mine off Amazon from Creative not a 3 party reseller. I also bought it on Jan.17, 2020. I am going to call them in the morning and see how they are going to assist me.
    Would you mind doing an Post update to this story to help get the word out. I know I was pretty upset when I discovered the lack of Dolby Digital and DTS encoding in the AE-5 product line.

The details are from
    https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5-plus

UPGRADE PROGRAM FOR SOUND BLASTERX AE-5 CUSTOMERS

Customers who purchased the Sound BlasterX AE-5 (non-Plus version) directly from creative.com in the last 90 days now have the option of returning the product back to us.
    This option is only available to those who would like to upgrade to the Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus for additional Dolby Digital and DTS support.
    We'll also be extending this to our upcoming white version — the Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Pure Edition with Dolby Digital and DTS support will be available come May 2020. Stay tuned!

VIEW MORE DETAILS
    To take advantage of this program, simply purchase the new Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus from creative.com.
    Submit your order details to us for verification, and we’ll provide you with the return instructions for your Sound BlasterX AE-5.
    Your refund will be processed after the completion of your return.

Note:
    This upgrade program is only applicable for Sound BlasterX AE-5 purchases made between 17 Jan – 17 Apr 2020, through creative.com websites.
    The new purchase must be completed and shipped, prior to the return request of your Sound BlasterX AE-5.
    Return shipping costs will be borne by the customer.
    We reserve the right to reject your return if the Sound BlasterX AE-5 shows signs of misuse, negligent use, or accidental damage.
    A full refund of the amount paid for the Sound BlasterX AE-5, including taxes, will be refunded back to your original payment method.
    Please contact us for additional questions.

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Why not offering a software decoding license instead?

11. Quakeme666

Quakeme666 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060
    They can't, does not work that way. They have a license per device ID. If they tried to do it the way U suggest it would be less than a day before someone would crack it.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They already did it in the Audigy4-X-Fi era.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they did this using encrypted binary support.