Creative Releases BlasterX AE-5 Gaming Soundcard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Myself I could never get rid of crackling and popping with my soundblaster when gaming, days of headaches and troubleshooting on win98, se and 2000. Cheapo 10 buck sound card replacement worked perfectly right away and all the way from win98 to windows 8... so yeah, I have every right to blame creative. As for sound quality with onboard, since the alc1XXX technically they got plenty for every human ear, another thing is to shop for apocryphal "boosted" audio and features.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Sound cards are not really replaceable if there is even a small interest about sound quality and positional audio.

3. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX TITAN
    Cot Damnit. Does EVERYTHING need to be RGB now? I bet the RGB makes it sound 16.7 million times better!

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It has been scientifically proven don't cha know.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Except, creative drivers are bad, so...?

6. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    I went from an Asus Xonar D2X, and sold it as i honestly couldn't tell any difference compared to my onboard Asus Maximus Gene VIII when listening to FLAC files via Grado SR125i headphones

I like decent sound quality (especially when watching TV), but here, i just couldn't tell any difference

maybe i'm getting old!

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Don't even try this ****. Creative drivers are crap, plain and simple. It's not always user error. If you haven't had any problems with it, we have, and no amount of "fixing our user error" had solved it.

There was one time their servers were almost dead for 3 weeks. And they had the latest Creative driver. You would try downloading and it would go painfully slow (1KB/s or so) until it finally cut the download, incomplete (with only a few MB at most downloaded). I ended up finding the driver somewhere on the Internet, on Mega, downloading it, then asking Hilbert to upload it to a Guru3D mirror just so Creative soundcard users could actually get the latest driver (which at the time, if I remember correctly, was a long-awaited WHQL-certified driver). If that doesn't tell you too much about how much they care about their drivers, I don't know what will.

29-12-2014:
    Here is Hilbert's Guru3D mirror:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/creative-sound-blaster-z-series-driver-download.html

Yeah...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Sound Blaster Z/Zx/ZxR drivers area infinitely better than anything that they have created before. I've had absolutely zero issues. X-Fi drivers are crap.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Creative drivers can be fault free or problematic depending on system synergy. Never had issues with X-fi drivers other than Vistas early days. Z/Zx never had issues with it until I move to a new Z270 motherboard. Suffered audio dropouts when Dolby/DTS encoders selected. Resolved when I moved card to pcie x1 slot. Quite frankly, would prefer better features (7.1 output), and there are better spec'd cards (asus xonar, strix, etc). But doubt they have any better drivers than Creative, so may stick with creative based on my *mostly* trouble-free history with them.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    By definition, a driver that has problems with certain OS setups, is not fault free, just because you happen to be on a system it doesn't. Especially when it's a large amount of systems.

Worst issue i have ever had was my creative z, would do the loudest, most horrible sound in my computer through my headphones whenever it felt like it. I literally made me fear wearing my headset, and don't say "don't have your volume that high then" as your computer could be MUTED with the volume at 0, and it'd be just as loud. Yet, my wifes computer, that card does just fine.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You can fixate on definitions and miss the point, or see the context of the idea being conveyed.

There we go, that was the point. :)

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, your point is trying to say the drivers are good because they work good on some systems.

Thats not a good driver.

There is nothing about that, that is a good driver.

That'd be like saying, if nvidia drivers had a problem with a good percentage of PCs where the performance was 30% of what it should be, that the drivers are good, because on the systems it doesn't have issues with, the performance is good. That's not how that works.....

Here, i'll put it another way with a different product that has had problems in the past.

Seagate. Seagate has had many problems in the past that make people not trust them. Every time there's a survey that shows how high their fail rates were, people would say "Oh, well i have had this drive for years now, so it must not actually be an issue, i trust seagate", completely disregarding the fact that (random numbers here) 30% of them failed, whereas their competitors were more along the lines of 3%, but just because 30% of them fail doesn't mean you can't be part of the 70%, and if you are, great! But that doesn't mean they are good drives, that just means you got lucky, because it still has a high failrate.

Again, just because something works good for you, does not mean the product/driver is good. The product/driver can only be good, if the problems/failures/etc. are within acceptable margins.

You can't find a forum that talks about creative drivers without people saying how horrible they are with experiences to back them up, so no, their drivers are not good, even though on yours, and some others systems, they work fine.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Aura89, not sure why you want to argue against something I never said. Creatives drivers being 'good' (meaning vast majority of people issue-free with them) or bad was never my point or argument. All I said was they CAN BE "fault free" - or not - DEPENDING on hardware or system synergy. That was from my experience (notice I bolded 'my' in earlier post to make that distinction). Aside from that, at what point the balance tips to being 'good' drivers or 'bad' drivers, neither I nor you knows. You have statistics? I dont have statistics either. What I do have is a largely trouble free experience since my Audigy 2zs days and that is what I go by. Not asking anyone else to go by that.

NOW... since we dont have statistics, what do we have? Forums? Ever take a peek at Nvidias Geforce forums? Surely, one would think Nvidia has the worst drivers in the world. Surely if sentiment was so badly against creative drivers in forums too, it would also be reflected in product user ratings from major online etailers.

Can you or anyone else recommend another sound card brand that is fault free and where the majority of its buyers are satisfied enough to reflect that in its product ratings? How about checking Amazon or Newegg for ratings and see who fares better or worse amongst sound card brands? Sure, not scientific or accurate, but at least not skewed by repeat posters in forums blathering the same thing over and over. I truly was on the lookout for a new sound card to replace my Zx, simply for better features (disclaimer: headphones not my thing), but frankly got spooked seeing user ratings for alternative sound cards were worse than creatives (ie, Asus new strix line). Vs Creative ratings. If wanting something that is trouble-free, I am not assured I have any better chance of that in buying a non-creative sound card.

14. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    This new creative card is very interresting (aside from useless RGB), since my phoebus is on life support until a windows update breaks something (shame on you asus and your, lack of, driver support). Just need some reviews, especially the vss.

Anyways, for those saying that there's no reason to buy a discrete soundcard since onboard solutions have gotten better are only half right. Because,
    - to get a decent chip (alc 1150 or 1220) you have to aim for fairly high end mobos and they're not created equal in terms of isolation and amplification
    - they might sound nice until you start throwing a lot of sounds at them, the sound stage becomes muddy and less precise

15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, as much as onboard has improved, I still prefer a dedicated sound card and I like Creative, I've never really had any trouble with them. I remember a stuck IRQ on an old AWE32 card but that was a little while ago ;)

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    with there drivers support no thanks

@ Glasofruix

ALC1150 on my board makes the sound from old X58 SLI LE sound ****ty not to mention all the static and buzzing in my headphones is gone with this board

I also havent heard interference from CB radios bus and such with this setup either like i did with old mobo which happen rather often during school months.

Not everyone audiophile nut and as such dont care to buy dedicated when onboard is fine in comparison to how it use to be.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. Glasofruix

Glasofruix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    I'm not an audiophile nut either, but i can hear the difference between my onboard ALC 1150 and the phoebus, not while listening to flac mind you, but in games the phoebus wins without question.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said that dont make them bad, all some people care about is does sound work? if yes why should I.

besides if you output the sound via Optical to reciever or speaker setup with it own DAC it shouldnt mater all that much.

IMO Dedicated soundcards are like SLI GPU,OCING the majority of people dont bother with it

IM sure IF i bought one and actual listened I would hear diffrence but to me and many it not worth the extra $$

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Idk why all this fuss about creative drivers and new hw.

I think its great they finally released something new and solid. Zx or zxr were imo a cheap knockoff compared to famous XFI chip. Speaking of drivers, they can be a bit so so, but I've seen gpu drivers far worse then Creative occasional releases.

The issue aura89 mentioned with headphones mode, i had that too 1-2x but only after bad OS restart, driver would revert to 2.1 audio and its volume, instead of keeping headphones volume and mode, it happens only by such scenario and imo its not something really bad, **** happens no sw is perfect.

20. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti@2GHz/WC
    New Creative BlasterX AE-5 PCB:

[​IMG]

Soundblaster Z PCB:

[​IMG]

Soundblaster ZxR PCB:

[​IMG]

(Source for the new card's PCB: techpowerup forum)