Creative Launches a BlasterX AE-5 PURE edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You do know that he doesn't make driver he only modified the inf and the installer not the codes them self just so you know.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    At least DK fixed the creative installers for tons of different cards and legacy models, while creative itself never did it.

[​IMG]

3. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    I've had Sound blaster cards forever. Never had 1 issue, never had one fail either. I just think there are alot of people that don't know what there doing. Are some of the issues legit for some people, yes. Never had a sound blaster card crackle or anything and the drivers worked great. I have a ZXR right now zero problems..

4. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    Same old comments about poor drivers Have you bought anything from Creative recently? I've had 5 firmware updates and 3 software updates for my sound bar.

Also if it ain't broke don't fix it.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Most of people having issues with drivers in this forums are people that use their systems like a Lego or (logical or) crap software cleaners (please note that I am NOT talking about DDU).

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    +1

7. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Last issue I had with their drivers was win 8.1 then the transition to win 10 then again with the last win 10 update (resolved with clean OS install). Problem free since. Ill probably buy one of these for my next build

8. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I actually bought this sound card (black one) couple of days ago and yes you are absolutely right about bugs in drivers:
    -cant save profiles and always resets after boot or changing profile or change speakers to headphones
    -some switches disable the sound output completely and pressing them again brings back the sound
    -impedance switch doesn't work at all
    -missing simple volume knob in ui
    -missing 384khz option in a driver
    -missing mic +x0dB boost in ui

but the sound output is very good and the headphone amp is astonishing, the best i can compare it is Titanium HD

I was also that lucky up until i bought Sound Blaster Z and had a bug while playing games, volume was just boosting itself 1000% with all the crackle and distortions you could imagine, then i bought another one and same story... and I bought STRIX SOAR which doesn't even have a driver yet

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Not impressed tbh.
    A bit better than normal on board audio.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    They can help modify an unbalanced freq range but cant fix older DACs to sound like better spec newer.

11. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Creative sound cards are the best in quality and specs wise, can vouch for it, I have the non-pure edition of this card and its the best I've owned in both regards. The drivers aren't the best but neither are Asus sound card drivers. No idea whats going on with sound card drivers nowadays but they all seem to be buggy and aren't updated enough...

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I have owned the black verson since it came out, The newest driver off the page let you save the impedance setting by turning off the hp gain safty.

Also the 384khz option is in the driver, you have to switch it to Direct or Direct Headphone, which bypasses the DSP chip and uses the dac chip only. This is how you get access to the 384khz. When you are using the normal Stereo,5.1,HP(Vr 7.1) the DSP is in used and that limit it to 96khz.

Also when you are using Stereo,5.1 and Stereo direct is for the line out, Headphone VR 7.1 lets you route it to the headphone jack or the line out with an drop down menu, and Headphone direct is for the headphone jack only.

So if your using headphones and you switch to 5.1 , stereo or Stereo direct, you won't get any sound out of your headphones. You have to use either the HP VR 7.1 or the Headphone Direct, if your trying to get audio thru your headphone jack.

When you switch to Headphone VR 7.1 by default it is outputting to the headphone jack, if you are using an external device, setting it to line out, will send the VR hp 7.1 thru the line out. I do agree that there should be an volume knob in the software, so you do not have to change it thru the volume control in windows. Instead of an mic boost, they give you the option called SMart voice which lets you talk lower while still letting people hear you.

I talked to them about that profile and some reason they do not understand me when I mention there should be an option to save custom profiles. THey did listen to the feedback about being able to save the headphone gain settings by giving you an setting to save it, so it doesn't reset.

I didn't really have any issues with the AE-5, and the couple of drivers they have released since then fixed what did bothered me back then. I still enjoying it as I use it as an source feed into my schiit jotunheim for my JBL 305 and R70X, which I enjoy more then the dac addon board that's inside my jot.

Since it been out, they have been listening to feedback that people been giving them including mine, ever since they add in the hp gain saving, and the RGB profile saving. Now I wish enough people get them to add in the function to save profiles for the other settings. Maybe get them to add an volume knob in the UI.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  13. webdev77

webdev77 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    I'd like to see this card minus the LEDs at a reduced price.

14. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You can buy decent standalone DAC for half of the price.
    This card has so many feature that nobody will make use of. Pay half price for features you want and the rest for waste.

This is just a hype train (RGB, useless features, looks) everybody jumping on. Nobody asked for it and yet media pushing it down your throat.
    It's like fidget spinner.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    You do realize that people have different taste in how they want there rig to look, Also not every thing is RGB as they're still massive amount of hardware that are not RGB that you can still get. RGB is for those who want to add there own personal style to there rigs. I get that you don't like it but come on, You may not care for it, but don't act like no one should because you don't like it. I like having the option to decide for my self if I want my rig to have an barber pole theme going(No my rig ain't theme like that), or an subtle RGB lighting to add flare to the setup. The RGB on the card can be disabled so it's not forced upon you, by simply not plugging in the molex plug to the cable.

External dac's are not always better let alone are made equal, I personally owned many external dac's in my time including some half the price of the AE-5, an dozen that are 2x-5x the price of the AE-5. Not to mention that people have different want's when it comes to sound signature, not every one is going to like the same sound signature that another person like.

I find the AE-5 to perform very well in comparison to the external dac's and dac/amp's that I have own. Of course it is no Gustard X12 Dac, but it does an very good job at it price point.

Another thing you have to under stand, some people do not want an box sitting on there desk in the way, or want/need features that are only on an sound card can give such as surround other functionally.

SBX Headphone,Smart Volume just to name an few and other features, are some that you can't get on an external dac(aside from the X7), unless you use something like razer surround or creative's blasterX lite, and even those two are not perfect and is limited.

This the exact reason why you usually see people pairing sound cards an external headphone amp, so they can get the best of both worlds.

No offenses but I going to have to disagree on you,people have been asking for for this for some time now. I get that you hate sound cards and think the world would be an better place without them,But they have there place just as much as external dac/amp does in the world.

If I didn't like the card, I would had mention that here and every where including in the review I did, and I would had shipped the card right back to newegg where I bought it if I didn't like it.

Also don't tell me what features is useful and what isn't useful. If I thought I wasn't gonna use the features of the AE-5, I would had bought an SMSL IDEA usb dac as I originally planned but I didn't because this had what I was looking for and had all the features I was going to use, that my Jot Dac module did not have nor any any of many many external dac's that I had prior.

No one is forcing any thing down upon you, you are free to ignore sound cards, It's not like some one is standing beside you with an Yard stick ruler in there hands and threaten you to buy something with RGB or you getting an smack on the bottom. You are still free an non RGB based product.

People now are able to have other options for there computer lighting design without having to use the options that came fore if they wanted to add lighting to there computers.

Octopuss and sverek like this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've been using Creative Sound cards for a couple decades now and I've seen a lot of problems with crackle and cards randomly dieing. If you buy their "high-end" cards, it's not really a problem. If you buy their budget or mainstream cards, they tend to suffer from crackle and sudden death. Of course, if you're using cheap speakers or headphones, the crackle is never obvious as it gets masked by distortion.

17. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    ok.

edit: I am actually amazed you find those feature useful. A decoy surround effect? Yes, it's fun to play with for 1 hour, but it gets old and annoying really fast. Same with other features.

To me, it's just an expensive toy to mess with. But I see you enjoying it, so hopefully it was worth it.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Never had any crackle or popping from any of my cards over the years (audigy 2zs, Xfi and SB Zx). Only problems I recall were Vista driver issues (which affected a lot of hardware) and recent motherboard issues resulting in audio drop-outs (resolved by switching to optical cable). As everyone can see from these comments, your mileage may vary. Mine, overly positive has kept me with creative for last 3 sound cards.

19. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I guess there is truth that Creative do listen to their community, they had planned (an publicly announced) that they were going to EoL the X-Fi series of cards from Win 10's point of view and intentionally not update the drivers to be compatible.

Took a big community backlash and lots of angry messages for them to change their minds, but they did in the end...

Hope they don't need as much prodding in the future.

20. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
    AYE,it's called ROG SupremeFX S1220 8Channel hi def up to 32/192khz playback.
    ES9023P dac.