Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi 2 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Keitosha, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    That must be the same FMOD audio I use on Unreal :p

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I doubt a Prelude 2 card will be out any time soon if at all. That's why I just bought a Prelude, and I'm totally in love with it.

3. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    Yes, it is more accurate. Software emulation is an approximation of hardware processing only. Better to get the real thing than a card that acts as a software driver sending tasks to CPU.

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    I have 51 million wasted transistors.. xD

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I have games which uses FMOD, which when using the XP compability in vista and then put Dsound.dll and ini from alchemy in there folders it makes them run in hardware instead of Fmod.

I cant stand the FMOD, so that what I do to get around it with games like Jercho, and Loki that uses fmod.

thats pretty much the only way you can get around it, if you dont like the way FMOD handles it . I know it works because I can tell right away, and it was in a guide for another game which used it which you had to do for that game do use alchemy with it.

6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I can't wait to see review(s) for the Auzen X-Fi Prelude vs Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi2. That would be rather interesting.

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    Testing with Vista and software?

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    In all. Everything. Hardware vs hardware, software vs software.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ...I might keep that in mind. If I get a chance to review the product.

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Be awsome if they inlcude a Addon which gives trigger inputs :)

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    In which way?:3eyes:

12. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    X-FI 2, oh you mean the card I wont buy. No thanks.
    The only way i'll buy it is from a derived card from Auzentech. Even so, EAX is dead under vista and I dont intend to support it. So any fast card with DDL+DTS (or even better) will compete that (I hope not) buggy software card. But If Daniel K does all the work of the others, Creative could end up with something good.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Interesting, EAX is dead under Vista you say? I haven't noticed... maybe because i have EAX in all EAX suppoted games...

14. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    Nobody is disputing the fact Creative have good products. It's just the support, which is almost non-existant. :(

15. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    True I have the same, BS is what springs to mind when I hear crappy coments like that. some ppl don know sh.it but happily spreading POS!

16. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce™ 8800 GTS Fat
    Seems more like RejZoR have no clue what the difference is between EAX and normal sound in games when he hears it.

Personally I am not sure if I would be able to tell the difference either. I know back in the days I could clearly tell if the sound engine being used is A3D or normal sound but nowadays EAX and DirectSound sounds a lot a like if reverb sounds are tweaked pretty good.

What I can tell is, is that the current Auzen X-Fi I use have damn good sound quality coupled with my Sony Receiver but then again...

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I think Rejzor knows exactly what he is talking about on this subject, others I am not so sure.
    EAX is NOT dead under Vista, this is a mis-interpretation of the provided info.
    EAX with Directsound as the API is dead under Vista. EAX using OpenAL as the API is alive and well under the Vista OS. Hardware acceleration is also available using the same OpenAL API. To note: Directsound no longer exists under Vista.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  18. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Yes yes with the older games, maybe some new one.
    But when I look at the few last main title I bought or brand new demo out. There is no eax option.

Crysis, GRiD, Sega Rally, Gear of war (but I dont think this is a good example), NFS PS...

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Um, what older games? I can have hardware acceleration (or EAX) in ANY DirectSound 3D powered game using ALchemy. All i have to do is copy 2 ALchemy files into games folder and voila, hardware accelerated 3D sound with EAX.
    Some new ones don't have EAX simply because developers haven't licensed EAX tech or they aren't using OpenAL technology for audio.
    Most use rather crappy FMOD, but oh well...

20. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    They are barking the wrong tree Rejzor :p

they dont understand Why developers dont have to use EAX, Most Engines NowDays have there own Reverb/Distance/occlusion effects, therfore not needing EAX. Thats why there is no EAX option.