Creative Labs releases special edition Sound Blaster Z PCIe

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. L0rdICE

L0rdICE Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290X
    That's a nice little software love for Sound Blaster Z series owners. They updated the control panel to Sound Blaster Command.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Sound Blaster Command ver. 3.4.94.3 is with SB-Z support.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yeah, i installed Sound Blaster Command for my ZxR a couple of days ago.

Same sound, modern look, can't complain.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Shame it didn't go as far as recon3d, fiancee still has one of those in her rig.

6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I wish Creative would bring out a dedicated sound card with a HDMI 2.1 eARC Output. Optical only supports a maximum of 5.1 surround. HDMI 2.1 eARC can do 7.1 or 5.1.2, 7.1.4 and has support for Dolby Atmos and DTS TrueHD. Perfect for a Home Theatre PC.

Pretty much all the PC monitors out there on the market don't have eARC either. So you can't go from GPU ----> Monitor ----> AV Receiver.

You'd have to go GPU ----> AV Receiver ----> Monitor. This is a problem because you don't get to use the Monitor's technological benefits such as VRR/G-sync/Freesync etc. You have to rely on the AV Receiver's display technology instead, which is usually a bit laggier and not as precise when it comes to clarity.

Or you could go GPU ----> Monitor. Then put in a 2nd HDMI cable from the GPU to the AV Receiver directly. But this creates a 2nd 'Phantom monitor' and Windows thinks you are using a dual monitor setup when in actual fact only sound is being sent to this 'Phantom monitor.' This causes flickering when you alt tab out of a game and takes about 10 seconds to re-adjust itself to give you an image from your actual monitor.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I just use toslink don't need hdmi to do, well, anything really. Where toslink is hardly appropriate or impossible, spdif over coax cable is also fine ( you can convert it to fiber and back, if you want to, using adapters that are not expensive).
    It's actually quite freeing to move away from creative. Been on Asus for years, and have all the options creative is introducing just now, but I've had them since forever. They come even with Xonar DG (~$25 ), not to mention other cards and especially external usb cards. Creative has some more years to match software and hardware of those....They will never match the pricing tho, too greedy.

8. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    Wait, so you couldn't set windows to 7.1 while headphones in the Creative software like in the older Creative cards (for example the Audigy SE PCI I'm using now for gaming)!?!?!?

Or is this something else/different I'm misunderstanding?

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Just installed this and the new driver for my SBZ. Nice to see Creative still giving it support, it'd been a great card.

SHS likes this.
  10. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That right you need new Sound Blaster Z SE card for that
    cl.jpg

11. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    But "The press release says that users of the regular version of Sound Blaster Z can install a new application from Creative to get the updated functionality described above."

?

12. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I don't see any press release on Creative Lab web site about the new driver say that in fact it just the other way other way around if got a link post it

13. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    No, no, just quoting the Guru3D article. If there was a driver's changelog but there isn't or can't find it. Someone with the Z should be able to confirm.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  14. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I have a Z
    sbz.jpg

15. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    Dissapointing.

I wonder now what other cards can't virtualize 7.1! Uff kind of lucky I never bought any of them!! Really, really stupid on part of creative...

But wait, if you go to the Windows sound output device panel, you can't configure 7.1 there either?

16. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I had all ready check long ago only Stereo and 5.1 is available

17. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    crap.

Hey. In the Z page it says this:
    "The Latest Sound Blaster Command Software
    Access unlocked! For all the old and new users of the Sound Blaster Z, we've updated the software from Sound Blaster Control Panel to Sound Blaster Command so you can enjoy the latest audio technologies! Get your hands on the full suite of Sound Blaster's industry-leading audio processing technologies including 7.1 Surround for an incredible immersion, Crystallizer that helps improve the dynamic range of audio, or Bass that provides bigger punch on the low end. All enhancements are fully customizable from the Sound Blaster Command software suite on PC."

18. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    All I can tell you is that not there

19. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    Yeah, I understand. But clearly there's a contradiction there on Creative's part between page's info (and Guru's info that surey came from Creative) and with your experience. Probably buggy soft release...?

20. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    No bugs and work just fine I even like the new UI which far better then the old one.