Creative Fatal1ty Professional MKII muffled voice?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Tiger253, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Hi Gurus, I have that headset brand new and plugged into the Creative Titanium Fatal1ty. Problem is whatever settings I change the mic still makes my voice muffled. I listened through Steam with another computer in another room and even my friend says it sounds muffled. I have the Silencer feature turned on and before I tried slipping in the XtremeGamer but it was still muffled. Also have latest drivers installed (Win7 x64).

So, is this headset suppose to sound like this?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Do you have the volume turned up and the Mic boost turned on?

3. Tiger253

Tiger253 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    Yes mic volume is up in Windows and Steam settings. There is no mic boost checkbox for the Titanium Fatalty but it was there with the XtremeGamer and I did try that out but it was still muffled. The Titanium Fatal1ty only helped make the mic sound a tiny bit better.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Can you test the mic on another device?

Enable your onboard and hhok the mic to that and see if it helps.
    If it does work then use both the card and the onboard.
    The card will be for playback and the onboard for recording.

5. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Hi. I can speak from experience since I've owned this particular headset (took it back for a refund the next day).

[​IMG]

To put it simply, the mic is horrid. First off, the mic boost should be located in your playback options, not recording (I know, it's weird). Enabling it will enable mic boost for recording (what you want). Regardless, it won't matter. Your voice will not sound any better.

I've tried this headset on two separate soundcards (plus on-board sound and a usb icemat siberia soundcard), fiddled with a multitude of settings and did thorough testing in ventrilo with friends. The mic is just crap, along with the rest of the headset.

Try taking the stereo-to-mono adapter off the mic plug (if you haven't done so already) and see if that helps, or vice-versa. But honestly, if I were you, I would take that headset back for a refund and stay away from anything made by Creative (sorry Creative fanboys).

Just a interesting fact, the MSRP on this is $79.99 but Fry's is selling it for $29.99 (after $30 rebate). Don't be fooled like me by the lowered prices, it's marked down for a reason (this headset sucks).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010