Creative ae-5 and z906

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Sumanis, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Sumanis

Sumanis New Member

GPU:
    2080ti
    Im confused to what is going on. I recently purchased the AE-5 replacing my x-fi fatality gamer ive used for years. I have used this card with my z-5500 for about a week using analog. My z-5500 being so many years old had the buzz from the console so i purchased the Z-906. When im using analog 5.1 I get this weird distortion from the front speakers.. It works fine using optical. I thought maybe the speakers but they work fine connected to my onboard audio with no distortion so it has to be something to do with soundcard.. Why didnt i get it with the z5500's and i do with the z906.. I included a video. this is what it sounds like analog mode.. Does anyone have a fix for this.. Would love to use 5.1
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14XZAiAxoYtRUlmKVcM2ZotGKmiwBVRbz/view?usp=sharing

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Be sure to turn off any pre-amplification on the audio driver control panel since it usually apply only to stereo channels which in 5.1 is mapped to fron-left and front-right speakers.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I'm using the exact same combo as you, AE-5, Z-906, analog, 5.1 speakers and have no distortion at all or other issues.

Try switching the sound card to a different PCI-E slot if you can. Also check your BIOS for an option called Spread Spectrum and Enable it if disabled.

Make sure speaker and connection cables are as far away as possible from electric cables and power converters etc.
    Alternatively try different analog cable - or speaker cables - though the one bundled with Z-906 should be of good quality.

Oh and btw, make sure to disable Virtual Surround from Sound Blaster control panel. BlasterX Acoustic Engine -> Surround -> set to 0.
    When playing stereo sound it artificially remixes it to surround and it sounds horrible.

(There's an "Effect" button on your Z-906 console that can be set to 4.1 if you want to expand stereo to rear speakers)

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've been told that the 2080ti creates some sort of EMI that causes that. So you need better shielding to prevent the noise.
    You can watch this video for more details.

Starts at 8:44

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Radical concept: Use an external soundcard, esp with an USB power isolator. No EMI for you.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the logitech powerplay mat can send emi into any devices sat on it, had a extremeforce 3d sat on it and found it introduced a pulsing hum into my speakers.

7. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Hmm, I have to admit they've improve the tech for them but if all you want is 2.0 stereo for music then you have a lot of options.

But if you want surround sound for gaming that list dwindles down pretty much to 2 usb options that I know of so far:
    SBX G6 and the Sennisher GSX1000

SBX G6 IMO is the only usb option to offer decent software and bit rate higher then 16 bit for surround sound. Sennisher has a better algorithm/processing for surround sound but only does it at 16 bit so it sounds muddy...very muddy.

I've been told that the SBX G6 is better then the AE-5. LOL. I believe it because that is something sound blaster would do. So if you want to go the pcie route you have to look at the AE-7 and AE-9.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The G6 and GSX1000 offer Virtual Surround Sound. There are also USB units that offer actual 5.1/7.1 output, like the X3. You also forgot the Super X-Fi units for VSS.

9. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Virtual was implied as I'm referring to headphone use not speaker use. You also forgot the Nu Audio Pro from EVGA.
    I wouldn't recommend Nu Audio for gaming though.

10. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

Hmm, these X3 are intriguing.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    OP seems to have vanished, maybe he got it sorted.