Create Gaming Network!!

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by SYSCLoK, Aug 2, 2005.

1. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 6 6600 128MB, 128 b
    Hi! Im on vacations and me + 5 guys want to build a network for file sharing and, specially, GAMING!! (CS Steam, Battlefield, Serious Sam etc...)

We have one ADSL connection of 2MB(from a USB modem), one 16 port HUB, and all onboard network adapters 10/100.

Its not the first time that we build it, but theres always tons of problems like someone doesnt see the others on the Network, big pings online etc...

I usually check the workgroups name, how are the IP's etc....but never been hable to solve this probs.

So heres, finally, my question:
    Im thinking this time to use another PC as a server (with Win2003 Enterprize SP1) with the ADSL connection on it + Wingate (with I dont know how to use it really)

Can someone help me with Wingate, or a better way of building such kind of network?

Please I really need help.....Thks :(

P.S: Before I even try to do anything I check ONE by ONE if theres any spyware/virus/security holes in any of the PC's, so the high pings are not due to these malwares.

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Firstly never use USB on modems/Routers, they just cause too many problems.

You'll want your modem plugged in, with your Switch plugged into the Ethernet port on the modem etc.

Then your computers hanging off the switch.

Everyone needs to have IP address's manually set with the right DNS and Gateway settings, they also need to have Firewalls completely removed or configured properly.

Not sure the modem you have, but most of them now come with a half decent Firewall built into them.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't use Win2k3 for the server.

I would grab a copy of the Linux distro "SmoothFirewall" or M0n0wall I think it's called and install it on the PC, can be a pretty crappy one because it's Linux.

Make sure you setup your Red Zone (Internet) and your Green Zone (Side with the switch and computers etc)

That way you can forward ports through properly, have graphs of the traffic used etc etc.

IPCOP is another good firewall you might consider using.

3. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Okay...lets imagine my network.

Modem-> Alcatel Speed Touch 330
    Switch--> Matrixx 8 port 10/100 ( full of cool technologies to balance the network load, but no firewall)
    5 Onboar Adapters 10/100

Lets see:

1> My pc will be the one with an active connection, sharing to all others using ICS...
    2> How to configure DNS and Gateway...i know how to add diferent IP's to all Pc's like 196.168.00.1 ; 196.168.00.2 etc.. but doing this way only the network works...no access to the web...weird or me noob?

Can You give-me an example how to use DNS and Gateway?

Thks.

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    DNS is what gets used to translate www.google.com into 66.102.7.99

If you don't have DNS set, you can't type the name, you would have to remember to type in 66.102.7.99 all the time.

DNS is the device doing the translating, so if your PC is the one with the modem, then your machine will be the DNS.

The Gateway is the machine or device that is the Gate onto the internet, everything must pass through a gateway to get out of your network, your machine will also be the gateway.

If you had a Router with inbuilt switch, you could set the Router to be the DNS and Gateway address, that way your computer doesn't have to be on for the other computers to go through it, and will yield better performance.

5. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    So If im the one with the (shared)internet connection on, then im the Gateway...evrything must pass thought my pc to acess the web..cool....

So...theres no need to change anything?
    Automat. im the Gateway..right?

So....someone told me to set the DNS of each maxine manually.....

So...lets imagine:

mY pc: Network IP: 192.168.00.1(DNS)
    Gateway: 192.168.00.1

Friends PC(one of them):

Network IP: 192.168.00.2 (DNS)
    Gateway: 192.168.00.1

So, again, my maxine its for default the Gateway for web access....no need to change nothing right?

BIG Thks man...

2 1

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Your Modem:

That is if you can set a LAN address on it and connect via Ethernet to it.

IP: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

This is your LAN side, you need to leave it on Automatic for the ISP Side of it.

Your Machine.

IP: 192.168.0.2
    DNS: Should be the IP of your modem, if you are connected via Ethernet.
    Gateway: Should be IP of your modem etc.

If you have USB, just leave your DNS and Gateway to whatever they are.

Machine 2:

IP: 192.168.0.3
    Gateway: 192.168.0.2
    DNS: 192.168.0.2

Machine 3:

IP: 192.168.0.4
    Gateway: 192.168.0.2
    DNS: 192.168.0.2

If for example you had a Router with a Switch connected to it, the DNS and Gateways for all of those should be the IP of the Router.

7. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    So....

Can you give a screenshot of you, just to give a small example, messing around with DNS and Gateway settings?
    I cant find no options to set Gateway....Only IP and Subnet Masks...but nothing more...lol

Btw, im using a USB modem..no firewall...no IP to set..

Dude thks to you I already learned some nice stuff....
    :thumbup: :roll: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    np

Under your LAN Adapter settings on the PC's under the TCP/IP Properties, you should see IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Prefferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS Server.

Have a read up through my Networking stick at the top of the section, has pics and all types of stuff in there.

9. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    I guess theres some prob with the pics...they dont appear....
    Im trying Firefox and IE and none of them shows the pics..lol

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Hmmm, I think I've changed servers since then, I'll have to check it out again and fix it up.

Thanks.

11. SYSCLoK

SYSCLoK Member Guru

GPU:
    Wow...thanks dude...Were we are all 5 of us...Everything is running smoothly....

Super quick network and very low pings....
    Dude BIG thanks!! ^_^