Crazy issue here maybe someone can figure this out?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by topcat77, Jul 9, 2020.

1. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2070 s
    I have search the web with no fix for this issue. And sorry if this is the wrong place but its a driver thing. I play planet coaster, and as soon as I start the game I get a driver crash. This crash only happens while my gpu is onerclocked. I set default gpu clocks all is well. This is the only game this happens to out of the many, many games I play.

Its not a heat issue. I have tried different gpu drivers. Windows up to date as all PC drivers are to.Check game file through steam and even reinstalled the game.

So any ideals on this?

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    It's not stable at your overclock. Up the voltage and try again.

K.S. likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    DON't RUN the game in FULLSCREEN.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Dial in the OC a little, maybe a slight voltage bump, or reduce frequency a tad. If you OC the memory too, try isolate the cause, as it could be just that.

Smough and K.S. like this.

5. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti Windforce
    As other people said, its probably the overclock. The fact that it works on default clocks is a sign of this.

I got one of the 2080ti's in the first batch, that had bad Micron memory. Some games ran fine, other ones would artifact after a while playing, and others would just flat out crash (Kenshi would just crash after a few minutes with no warning). Every game will react differently to a GPU issue.

Actually, now that I am talking about the memory, are you overclocking the core + memory? Try keeping memory at stock speeds and see if it helps, might be something with the RTX (is the card under warranty? I have Gigabyte, luckily mine was lol)

K.S. likes this.
  6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    No offense to your overclocking skills but as others have said it's your card basically telling you "whoops we're not stable here buddy" probably going to have to stress test your GPU overclocks better with a soft-tool like OCCT's GPU-test and or a like alternative / complemented with a good HW sensor. Memory OC's buckle under pressure even when artifacts don't always show so run a pro test that will let you know if there are errors like AIDA (has gpu test as well)

7. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I think overclocking is honestly a waste of time and money for most users. You cause system wide instability and pay a higher electric bill for little return.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    wow...just wow... speechless. CRAZY ISSUE!!

Agreed in principle, although often you can bring a lower part to be on par with next higher part, but you pay for it as you said, and not just with electric bill. Then again cons of O/C-ing are quite murkier with Nvidia Boost where undervolting=overclocking.

Smough, K.S. and angelgraves13 like this.
  9. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    I read @Noisiv your post; I'm just chuckling like "uhh he can only take so much"

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    angelgraves13 likes this.
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Not all games respond equally to GPU overclock, some can take more, others less. Dial the OC down a bit and test. You can use MSI Afterburner to create up to 5 different profiles to test GPU voltage and overclock, there was no need to unistall the game; some game engines are simply too sensitive to GPU OC. TW3 for example CTD's if I OC too much, SOTTR simply freezes or crashes with minimal OC; although maybe I need to calibrate my OC even more to avoid these kind of issues, who knows.

What amazes me is how you could conclude that reinstalling the game could ever fix it if the problem is your GPU overclock. What sort of logic is this? If your OC is the problem, how reinstalling the game will solve this? Why didn't you tried to tweak your OC instead of blaming the game? OC is running things outside manufacturer numbers, so anyone with a bit of common sense can see that any app could not respond to this as expected.