Crash when SLI is enabled.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Boifido, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Boifido

Boifido Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 SLI
    Hi!

My main computer is crashing when I'm in a game with SLI enabled. If I leave it in single card mode, I can game for hours with no problem. I'm wondering if it's are problem with the card, my power supply, or something else. It either goes to black or gives me a nvlddmkm.sys BSOD. Also, when I restart my computer after the crash, most times it will freeze logging in. I then have to boot into safe mode and remove the drivers (to disable SLI). I've already had my power supply warranty replaced once, which is why I'm wondering if power has anything to do with it. With SLI enabled it will crash half way through running 3Dmark Vantage on extreme settings. It seems to take longer to crash running less intensive games (eg. Anno 1404).

I'd really appreciate any help on which direction to start looking. It would be great to know what might be causing it before I go off half cocked switching out cards or power supplies. I'm hoping my problems are pointing to somthing. (I.E. freezing on login is always caused by having duct tape on a fan :p)

My system:
    EVGA 780i FTW
    E8500
    EVGA GTX 260 X 2
    Thermaltake toughpower 1200w
    Driver Version 196.75 (But I've crashed my way through multiple drivers)

Thanks for your help,

Brodie

2. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Have you tested the 2 GC individually? (only one card at a time in your PC?)
    Maybe the second card could cause this.

Or your SLI bridge can also be damaged.
    Have you tried to enable SLI without the SLI bridge?
    My understanding is that should work (but with less performance).
    Maybe something to try first.

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    also have you overclocked anything??

what are your temps like??

4. Boifido

Boifido Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 SLI
    Okay, before I try any of this is there a way to disable SLI in safemode without uninstalling my drivers? It's a huge pain in the ass once your doing it for the 9th time.

Also what I forgot to mention. Temperatures are 40C stock right now, and If I remember they go to something like 70c under load. I did check before and it seemed well within normal range.

The cards are the EVGA overclocked ones, so they run at 626mhz. I've used evga precision to downlock them to stock settings and it doesn't really help with the crashing.

To sum up:
    OC to 626mhz
    40C Idle
    ~70C Load

I'll try taking off the sli connector, and after try testing the second card by itself.

Thanks for your help guys,

Brodie

(Posting this on both guru3d and nvidia forums. Both have provided different useful help!)

5. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    right click on the desktop>>>>>>Nvidia Control Panel>>>>>>Sli and PhysX configuration

you can do this in non safe mode too

[​IMG]

EDIT: forgot safemode only loads basic drivers....lol

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  6. Boifido

Boifido Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 SLI
    Yea, and that's how I get to it all the time in normal mode. But that option is not available in safe mode, in fact I don't think the nvidia control panel is available in safe mode at all. I was hoping there was a command line or something. I guess I'll just have to reinstall by drivers like 5 more times :)

7. Boifido

Boifido Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 SLI
    In addition to my above post^

I've just tried out SLI without the bridge connected, and it nvlddmkm.sys BSODed immediately upon enabling SLI. I was able to log in this time without it freezing, but during the Vantage test it froze and my monitor went black again. It also appeared to be flashing a few random black things during the test (artifacting?). This time when it froze I couldn't log into windows again, so i had to safemode reboot and reinstall my drivers.

I'll try the second card as my main next. The whole reinstalling drivers thing is a pain in the ass >.<

8. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I had an SLI issue the other day, which I posted here.

The solution turned out to be updating my motherboard BIOS, maybe you could try that if you haven't already got the latest.

9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ^this

and also, are you using Driver Sweeper in safe mode to completely get rid of old drivers before you reinstall???