Crappy MSI fans

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by antihero998, Jan 5, 2014.

1. antihero998

antihero998 Member

GPU:
    EVGA SC 780
    So I just bought two R9 280X and both have fans that are failing in less then a month. All newegg will do is replace with cards with new ones from MSI " I was hoping to get them to swap brands" or refund me my money. The problem I have with the refund is I bought the cards when they were $299 and they are now $419 so I couldn't buy new 280Xs if I wanted to. So here is my question. Would you guys stick with MSI or take the $600 and look for a new card?

2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    What the....just rma them. I have a msi r9 280x and it's been working great for months.

3. antihero998

antihero998 Member

GPU:
    EVGA SC 780
    I don't think it's just me. If you look around the net you'll see a lot of other people have had problems with the twin frozr fans. My last cards were MSI 6950 twin frozr and the fans failed on them in under two years. :(

4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I have heard of quite a few people complaining about the Twin Frozr fans and I have a MSI R9 280X currently going unused because of AMD driver issues with a few games I am currently playing. Perhaps I should go back to using it so if it fails I know sooner rather than later. :uhoh:

5. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Look for a new card, it's not worth it if you always get problems with MSI..

6. CTPA

CTPA New Member

GPU:
    R9 280x msi GAMING 3GB
    Msi fan failure

Just wanted to share my experience, I have 4 R9 280X MSI TWIN FROZR, and on all GPU fan are failling.
    They vibrate and slow down, or just randomly stops...!!!!!
    GPU are not even 2 weeks old!!!
    How can MSI realease such a product!!! This is not random failure, it is 100% failure! I am so piss right now.
    Just a piece of advice, stay away from those GPU!

7. Arbold

Arbold Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    Hey! I had 2 MSI Cards and on both the fans failed. Never going back to that brand. Get your money and buy something decent! :)

8. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    I've had a 7950 twin frozr 3 for over a year and the fans have never had a problem. I also had a hd 6850 cyclone that a buddy of mine just retired about a month ago. So maybe its just there newer products? Also try seeing if you could get a little more information. Maybe msi has found the problem and the newer fans they will be putting on will have solved the problem?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea if the cards had dropped in price since you bought them, you'd get a refund of the new card price, but if they go up in price, you get back what you paid....

RMA get replacements > sell on ebay for more than you paid > win > buy new card

EDIT - Just noticed date of OP....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Same by my 570gtx TF3, never had any issues with fans and the gpu was almost 3 years old.

11. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    My 570gtx TF3 is still going in a friend's pc and I use to run it oc├ęd to ****!

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just bought my first ever MSI card, Twin Frozr 290x Gaming :eek: :D

13. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    Its probably just the 280x , all brands tend to screw up sometimes:p