Cracks from Soudnblaster X-Fi HD after installing the Creative drivers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Colin MacLaren, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Colin MacLaren

Colin MacLaren Guest

GPU:
    MSI GF4 Ti-4200 64MB
    Hey,

I just bought a shiny X-Fi HD USB, plugged it in and installed the software.

Audio works with my laptop, but only as long as I don't instasll the Creative drivers. If I do, there is a crack every 4 seconds coming from both the speakers and headphones. It gets worse when playing music, the sound becomes completely distorted.

I tried unplugging every single USB device except the X-Fi, the cracks become less often, but I'm still hearing this annoying crack like every 12 seconds.
    Neither plugging it directly into a free usb connection nor using it behind an active (with its own Ac-adapter) USB-Hub relieved the problem, when paired with other devices on the hub the cracks become a lot more frequent.

It is even worse on my desktop rig, no matter where I plug it in, the sound is always distorted.

This doesn't happen when using the standard windows drivers, but I bought the unit because of the Surround and EAX emulation, otherwise I could just use a simple DAC for half the price.

I have tried so far:

- Uninstalling the drivers from both the onboard sound and the ATI-HDMI-out as well as deacitvating the both in the device manager
    - Uninstalling the Ati USB filter driver
    - using diffrent USB connectors and cables
    - reinstalling the Creative software, checking for firmware and driver updates (none available)
    - returning the device to the store and trying a diffrent one

My configuration:

Folgende Komponenten werden eingesetzt:

Athlon X4 3GHz
    Asrock N68-S3 UCC Mianboard (Nforce 630a)
    4GB RAM
    Radeon HD5870
    1TB Hitachi HDD
    Win7 x64

Ideapd S205
    AMD E-350 1,6 GHz
    Lenovo Inaugua Mainboard (Brazos Fusion Controller Hub)
    4GB RAM
    320GB Hitachi HDD
    Win 7 x64

Notice both are equipped with 4GB of RAM and Win7 x64. Is Creative software + 4GB of RAM still a no-go?