CPU Voltage affected by RAM Voltage? (6700K)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Zamiel, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    As far as i know, the 6700K is specified to run @ 1,2V under normal circumstances. What happens if I run a DDR4 RAM that works @ 1,35V? Does this automatically rise the CPU voltage to 1,35V too? I ask this because I think about building a new system, and instead of the normal DDR4-2133 I want to run DDR4-3000. The problem is, that all DDR4-3000 runs @ 1,35V.

I didn't built a new system in the last 3 years, but as far as I remember, the CPU voltage was always associated with the RAM voltage. Does someone know whether this has changed, because I want to leave the CPU @ 1,2V. Thanks in advance.

ps.
    Does someone already have experience what stable clockspeeds you could expect when overclocking the 6700k at stockvoltage?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    cpu voltage and memory voltage are 2 separate things

3. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    This is a quote from an overclocking guide for past core i generations and DDR3:

"Memory voltage: Although this voltage setting seems to have nothing to do with the CPU, it affects not only the overclocking potential of the DDR3 SDRAM in your system. The same voltage is used for the memory controller that moved to the CPU from the chipset. It sets certain limits to the maximum possible setting for this parameter. Intel strongly advises that it shouldn’t be raised past 1.65V. Ignoring this warning may cause the frequency potential of the damaged CPU to go down permanently."

And my question is whether this still is the same with Skylake. Further the question is not whether its safe to run the CPU @ 1,35V if the RAM voltage affects it (just in case someone writes this as an answer). The question is only wheter it is possible to run the CPU @ 1,2V and the Ram @ 1,35V :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  4. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    yes. It has been that way for quite a while.

5. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    And still is? Or did this change?

6. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nothing has changed

7. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Just a dumb question.... why did u answer me "cpu voltage and memory voltage are 2 separate things" first? :-/

8. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    because of this

That is incorrect.

9. Zamiel

Zamiel Member

GPU:
    Geforce 680GTX
    Ok maybe it was not before core i but that doesnt make my original question a dumb one which only deserves a nitpicking answer -.-

Maybe someone else can write something too? Allows XMP 2.0 to run different voltages?