CPU upgrade .

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by kapu, Nov 13, 2019.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    My mobo is Z270 Gaming K3. Which is the best CPU i can put on this mobo ? What would you recommend ?

2. According to your CPU QVL -
    Socket 1151 - Intel Z270 - GA-Z270-Gaming K3 (rev.1.0) - https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=6093

The "best" cpu supported since BIOS "F2" is an Intel Core i7-7700K. - Considering the state of current affairs one will cost you approx $350 brand-new from a reputable e-tailor such as Amazon.com; the other option being used for approx $280 up on site like eBay.

The 7700K is a robust processor still capable of today's latest games at the highest of settings, a quad core eight thread processor. Compared to the 6 core 12 thread Coffee Lake 8700K cpu it varies between a differential of 11 to 24 percent less powerful in games depending on the game, environment and a series of other factors involved. It is still a worthy buy.
    • # of Cores4
    • # of Threads8
    • Processor Base Frequency4.20 GHz
    • Max Turbo Frequency4.50 GHz
    • Cache8 MB Intel® Smart Cache
    • Bus Speed8 GT/s
    • # of QPI Links0
    • TDP91 W

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2019
  3. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    As above. Personally I would sell this motherboard and go for ryzen 3600 or 3600x, with like MSI tomahawk max b450(which runs ryzen3 out of the box). Newer, stronger combo, CPU actually is cheaper...and is 6cores 12 threads...

4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    The only reason i would want to sell my Asus z270 Prime A and 7700k would be to take advantage of pci-e 4 for my Corsair MP600 2tb, as for gaming ive not found any proof or info that states that anything kicks the 7700k butt from Intel of Amd....more cores does not guarantee better fps

5. If you are already running a 7700k, there is no real reason to upgrade cpu until you are ready to go to a newer chipest.

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I have 7600k 4.8Ghz , i hoped i can slap 6 core on that chipset, but i guess Intel as usual screw me over. Im gona go AMD next time for sure. At least you can replace just CPU.

Now i have to replace mobo ram and cpu .....

7. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Microcenter is selling the 3600 series for 159$ when you buy a motherboard with it at the same time. If you have one nearby, you can possibly score a motherboard AND new processor for less than cost of intel processor.
    It is an upgrade, but best upgrade from newer intel is 3700x, as it will put you ahead of the curve, so to speak. I upgraded from a 4790k that was a pig of a cpu, didn't overclock worth beans, and threw out LOTS of heat and had to be delidded - and bought 3700x, very very happy. Single core speed not big difference - but everything else I did - file zip / unzip, content creation for graphics / modeling, gaming for games using more than 4 cores such as BeamNG Drive or Cities Skylines, Rimworld even, BIG BIG difference. Buying just the 3600 won't show you truly what Ryzen has to offer, but if you are bottlenecked on the CPU, and your games get hitching / skips in them, you should consider it. You will have better minimum frames and less hitching.
    I had a friend who always games, he went from 7700k to 3800x and all he could say was WOW WOW WOW.

So read up on benchmarking sites for the games or software you run to see if it will be an upgrade for you, or if you would barely notice it. I wouldn't bother spending more than 100$ on a used processor for your intel motherboard. People think they are worth gold on the used market when they aren't even faster than new stuff from AMD or Intel, and charge similar price. It's a rip-off on the used market, so I recommend avoiding it.
    Buying the 7700K used or new will land you in same boat you are in now next year. Buying newer intel 9900k chip will buy you maybe 2~3 years maybe more, IF you can cool the thing! You need a 100$ cooler for that to get the most out of it. Might as well just buy ryzen, stock cooler is capable too. If you buy 3600x I believe (don't quote me) you get a slightly better cooler and slightly better clock speeds, so if it's only 20$ more, go for it. If you buy 3700x or above you get a pretty good cooler, but I'd lean towards a custom cooler if going for anything past 3800x.
    MSI-MAX 400 series motherboards can boot up with 3000 series ryzen processors as other poster said. However, if you wish to spend a bit more, you can get a 150$ ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 which gives an intel network card interface (good) and 8 sata ports, and two M.2 ports in full ATX format. It's a solid board, not the best, but I got one as I needed a reasonably priced board with open-ended PCI-express slots, and it's worked flawlessly on release day bios with no boosting issues etc. So I can vouch for it.
    X570 gives higher RAM capacity and PCI-express 4.0 (which isn't very important now admittedly, but may be in the future as your system gets older!). It also gives more high-speed USB ports. If you don't require these things, then consider saving some money on the B450/X470 boards in-stead.

I do not know if the 2600x/2700x would be an upgrade for you from your current processor, likely not, as far as single-thread speeds are concerned, but they're dirt cheap. The 3600/3600x are a much better processor for the money if you're considering them. The 3600/3600x would still be a smoother experience gaming even if you were streaming your game VS the 7600k.
    That being said if you find an i7 7700k for 100$ or less, used, then go for it, otherwise no, spend it on a NEW board and processor; at-least you'll have a warranty and a smoother experience. Cheap Windows keys can be had on Ebay (get the global ESD ones) if you snoop around, and they cost <10$ US.
    If you already have DDR4 memory, try it on the new system until you have more money to spend for some new stuff, then buy 2x 8gb or 2x 16gb sticks of 3200mhz~3600mhz stuff for the new system. Make sure to follow the QVL, but if you get an x570 board and 3000 series Ryzen, Ryzen 'loves Micron memory' now apparently, it's the new B-die.
    The longer you keep your system, the more prices will drop. Memory may go up, however, not sure.

--Good luck!

8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Iam no expert but let me just state my findings abt CPUs amd vs Intel....I had a 4790k of to 4.7 GHz and now on a Fx 8320e at 4ghz...There is No difference I can see in Games or anything else for that matter so I would imagine the new series Ryzen is able to win in multi threaded workloads and is neck and neck w single threaded aka games. That's what IAM saving for new a new Ryzen based sff gaming machine. Intel does not make sense anymore honestly, the only cpu they have I currently like is the 9900k that hits 5ghz.

9. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Wait for Zen 4 and DDR5

10. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I agree to wait. You have a solid pc now that will be fine Until AMD’s next cpu release.

prices will fall on the 3000 series and hopefully better x570 pricing as well.

Had my 3800x and x570 for a few months.

Wow does sum it up. It’s lightening quick. Gaming is extremely smooth. Love it.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    If you want to have more CPU to spare at newer games, the i7 7700K is still a beast. It "only" has 4 cores, true, but it has a very high frequency and it has HT so it can a lot more than an i5. If you all you want to do is gaming, you don't need much more honestly.