CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by emperorsfist, Apr 16, 2019.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hello,

so, I've ran into an unexpected need for an upgrade yesterday. My father's PC (i5 2500k, GTX 970, 8GB DDR3) no longer performs well enough to quench his Cities Skylines needs. The venerable i5 has finally reached its limits, and he wants an upgrade. Because the current situation with CPU's is a bit pricey (and he doesn't want AMD), I've started looking for a replacement for my i7 6700k, which I intend to give him along with the mobo and RAM (basically he'll pay less this way). Thing is, where to go? I was fully satisfied with my current build (the i7, 16 GB DDR4 and a GTX 1080). What CPU would you recommend? I mostly use my PC for gaming - my job doesn't involve me running power hungry applications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Wait for Ryzen 3xxx then upgrade. Its not that far away...

Corbus and emperorsfist like this.
  3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    That has crossed my mind, though at this point I don't want to predict how it's going to turn out..

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    I upgraded from a 6700k @ 4.8 ghz to a 2700x,i use the precision boost on it and it varies from 4100 to 4350 mhz. And i can say that it's at least as good in what games i play.

So i imagine that even if it's half of what the rumours say about ryzen 3000 are true, it's worth waiting for it. Especially considering it's not that far away as Undying said.

emperorsfist likes this.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Overclock that 2500k. I run it at 4.5GHz and it's totally different performance comparing to stock 3.3GHz.

You can get stable 4.2GHz for sure without worrying of heat and there will be nice performance bump. Just OC and hold for Zen2.

emperorsfist likes this.
  6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Huh, I used to run the i5 at 4,3Ghz, but I could check if my father hasn't reset it in the few years he's had it. Good thinking!