CPU upgrade on ASUS P5GC-MX / 1333

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Robox1, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    The motherboard in question mounts an Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 and 3GB of DDR2. Turning to Windows 10, the performance has slightly decreased (the CPU is always busy between 50 and 70% while the ram is busy between 60-80%). Being the 32bit operating system I don't think there are options for a RAM upgrade.

Do you know if it is appropriate to try a processor upgrade? if so which model could bring an improvement? (some quadcore is compatible)

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    A new platform is required. There is just nothing i can recommend to actually speed up your system.

bobblunderton and EtherPhoenix like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Click on "RUN" Type : SystemPropertiesAdvanced
    Go to : Performance > Settings > Tick on Adjust for best performance.
    -----------------------
    Disable Search Indexing also: https://windowsreport.com/fix-search-indexer-high-cpu/
    -----------------------
    Disable Superfetch(Disable from Services)
    • Hold the Windows Key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
    • Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
    • The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.
    • Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.
    • Select the “Stop” button if you wish to stop the service.
    • In the “Startup type” dropdown menu, choose “Disabled“.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  4. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    It is not possible a coplete upgrade, the only way is a E8600...but I dont know if it make difference....

5. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    The difference will be small. 3GB RAM is also very limiting for Windows 10. Overclock that CPU and start saving towards a new PC.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    You could reinstall Win10 64-bit, the 32-bit key is valid for that. You could probably find very cheap DDR2 sticks by now, it's also possible Readyboost would help.

If you're using the Intel GMA 950 though, it would probably make a difference with a modern GPU. I didn't notice any slowdown using Win10 on my Core 2 E6600 and 8800GT (also with a GT 610 later) compared to Win10, it actually even felt more snappy, and you could probably find very cheap old DX10 or DX11 cards by now. If getting new, even a simple GT 710 would be ok.

You could try disabling some visual effects for better performance
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows

7. MaximusAluk

MaximusAluk Guest

GPU:
    MX150
    Hello there, I noticed this was a recent post about a very old CPU and made an account just to reply to you. My mom has a 15 year old desktop PC with that board that runs fine on a Core2 Duo E6700, which is slightly better than you CPU. Windows 10 isn't built for such old systems so I got her a Linux instead (ZorinOS lite is nice and looks like Windows enough not to confuse my mom). RAM problems are gone, my mom's build has 4GB of RAM but it was always lacking on Windows 10, on a light Linux distro it's barely half full at peak use. All she does is Facebook, light to medium browsing and some torrenting, this is perfect for her. Core2 Duo E8600 is the best CPU the board can support I think (for a cheap deal), it's about twice as better as the one you have and a used one costs under 15€ or $16 on Ali-express (shipping included). If your purpose isn't gaming or something specific Linux doesn't support well, then I definitely recommend Linux distros built for old computers like the one I mentioned. Good luck!

8. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    It's a shame your motherboard isn't compatible with core 2 quads, otherwise I would have suggested hunting down a Q9650/Q9550 as that may have been worth a bit more investment.

You should see a bit of an improvement going to an E8600. It's a 33% improvement in clock speed (it will run at 1066mhz FSB on your motherboard so 2.66Ghz) and has 6x the cache. Look on eBay and see if you can get one for under £15 ($20).
    I think it would be worth it for that price.
    Remember, get the latest BIOS update for your motherboard before you change the CPU!

An SSD always helps too and is always worth the investment if you don't have one already.

Don't bother going any further with upgrades than that though, as it's just not worth the investment.
    DDR2 RAM is too expensive and as you say, you'll need a 64-bit operating system to make use of it.
    Like others have said, your motherboard is just too limiting to warrant spending money on it. Save up for something newer if you want to get the most out of your money.

Additional: If you don't care about value for money and just want to upgrade your system to the max then hunt down an 8GB dual channel kit of DDR2 1066mhz ram.
    It may not run at 1066mhz on your board as it's only rated for 533Mhz kits but you can always run it at lower speeds with lower memory timings.
    After that, upgrade your OS to 64-bit.
    Hunt down something like a GTX750ti for cheep. That will help with certain video processing a bit.
    Add the E8600 and you should end up with a fairly capable web browsing/light multimedia PC.

9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Stick to Windows 7!!!!

Edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...592878?hash=item56dcbd7b6e:g:UEQAAOSwo7Zen9~Q

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  10. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    With all you spend kicking the can down the road to upgrade the old box, you could easily just buy parts for a new one, sell the old working stuff, and only spend just a little more.
    So you can spend the money upgrading the old one and go through this every 2~3 years or you could completely replace it and not have to worry about it for over twice that long.
    If the board does not support quad core, and max memory is only 8gb (some ddr3 boards are 16gb max, few ddr2 boards are 16gb max), then toss it out. It's never going to be super-peppy like brand new, core2 series doesn't even have an integrated memory controller on the CPU. An SSD can help, but how much it will help really is questionable... if that's an Allendale core chip you'd definitely see some type of improvement from a later 45nm core 2 IF SUPPORTED but you really won't get the type of boost your looking for out of that system.

LGA775 support was grouped into the following:
    Pentium 4 & garbage Celery-label chips you don't want
    Pentium Dual core (two pentium 4's next to one another)
    Allendale
    Conroe
    Wolfdale 45nm
    Quad core 6xxx series, then 7xxx~9xxx quad core that were a bit better
    Often on Dell or HP systems you'll see support for only a few of the processors from each group, be aware of that if you happen to buy a replacement board later on.

If your ASUS board does not natively support bus faster than 1066, often you can "OC the front side bus (FSB) to 1333mhz" or something reasonably close, and get the chip close to it's stock speed. While when this board was designed in late 2006~early 2007 this was considered overclocking, you're overclocking the board not the CPU... the 8xxx cpu was designed to run at 1333mhz if it was an 8xxx model. I had a P5LD2 that didn't support newer core 2 chips, and neither did any of the 945 chip-set boards.

So, unless you're a bit strapped, I'd really reckon getting a new PC. Get a Ryzen APU PC or an intel i3, whatever you can afford.
    E.G. Unless you want to have this issue almost every year, a new one is best way to go. Or you can spend 30~50% what you would for a new one, to upgrade your 13~14 year old PC into a 11~12 year old PC. I hope this helps.