CPU temp rising as it got older ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by slyphnier, Sep 7, 2017.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    its bring to my attention just last night
    my 24/7 old-rig (x58 i7-950) is getting temp quite high
    it stay on 58C all time... the cooler temp is 41C and ambient is around 25C
    basically i use it for browsing - torrenting (daily pc usage stuff) ... with avg. cpu load around 20% all time
    core voltage is 1.232V

do this normal with usage like i mention above?
    i have to test what on idle, but i think it hover around 40C maybe 38C lowest
    i believe in past the temp is around 42C on same usage (cpu load around 20C)

or the cpu is getting weak so for some reason it increased temp?
    thinking to replace this rig with new build soon... but yeah i still curious with the temp

2. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Put a fresh application of thermal compound, dust off fans while you're at it and you're good to go.

3. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    yeah i did that... actually it using new cooler corsair H80i v2
    back then i use coolit vantage, but the pump dying... replace it with corsair early this year

for pump speed, performance or quite, in standard usage same temp around 60C
    but on high load it have different like 7C ... quite can go up to 75C... performance stay below 68C

i clean fan filter periodically also... the GPU 1070 temp stay at 36C (standard blower style)
    so airflow should be good enough

i read more... maybe either mobo getting old causing higher temp
    or ram, i use 1.65volt corsair dorminator... but i use it ever since i built the rig, while i notice temp increase just recently

4. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Hm, my best advice would be to run a virus/malware scan and rule that out at this point.

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    its far for malware i believe...
    i use both malwarebytes - mse combo... with ads+script blocker on browser
    as well running offline scanner periodically

i also use 8gadget+rainmeter (sidebar on win7) for monitoring purpose cpu - network - top processor/ram...
    i know such this will eat cpu resources thus my cpu never really idle (without anything run, my cpu load will keeping like 5%)
    but as this is 24/7 pc, it really helpful to notice when there is apps that memory leak or program that using high cpu resources

when i remembering what happening with this rig...
    it pretty stable rig since i build... only once or twice it went overheat when the coolit vantage aio pump dying...then i replaced it with corsair
    maybe/possible the ovearheat damage the CPU permanently ?
    other than the cpu temp... everything else is really stable

6. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Well if it's stable for what you need it to do then it's alright I guess.Shouldn't be too bad as the E8400 C0 I still have, was clocking 4Ghz at 1.43v for close to two years on air and it's still ticking in my old rig.I don't overclock it anymore though and that's been another 4yrs already.

Keep an eye on it as the time goes, I don't think you should be worried.

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ok thanks alot for advice/suggestion bro!