CPU settings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xcountry, Jan 27, 2005.

1. xcountry

xcountry Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 351/702
    My new computer has been stable since I put it together a week or so after Christmas. Since, I've started gaming with it a little it has been randomly shutting down/hanging. It was rock solid stable for about 3 weeks.

cpu temps: idle - 30C ish
    full load - 45C
    Seemed a little high to me, but just figured it was due to the prescott core

vid card temps: idle - mid 40's
    full load - 60
    I turned it on and was about leave for school when it shut down. I restarted it and it told me the cpu had been improperly set. The cpu settings have always been at default. From BIOS:
    3.0000ghz
    15x multiplier
    bus speed was set at 200. quad pumped that puts it at what the fsb is supposed to be i guess.

It will post and go into BIOS setting, but after about 30 seconds in BIOS it just shuts down. I am kind of leaning towards some sort of cpu heat issue, but I'm not getting any warning beeps before shut down. Your thoughts,comments, questions?

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

the cpu temp (if that is the true temp) is fine. These processors can reach into the 60's and operate without a problem (although 60 is cuttng it close). Hmmm, this is an interesting problem. make sure that your voltages are set right, double check your temps, and maybe run memtest86 to eliminate memory as a problem. If you can, run Prime95 to see if your processor returns any errors.

That's all I can say for now because I have to run off to class. Try those things and holler back, and I'll respond.

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I dont think its a heat issue mate, cos your temps are good. It could be a power issue though. What PSU are u using? and what amps are there on each rail?

4. xcountry

xcountry Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 351/702
    still up at school so I can't really remember the amps on all the rails. It's a 450W psu that came with the Rosewill case. I'll check the ratings when I get home in an hour or so.

This might be a piece of the puzzle. I had turned it on as I was leaving. It ran for maybe 5 minutes (was loading up eq2 to go into merchant mode). As the game started, it shutdown. From then on, I couldn't get it to run for more than maybe 30 seconds in about 5 reboot attempts. Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to go pick up some thermal compound in case I need to reseat the cpu or something.

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    yeah, it probably would b a good ide to reseat the CPU just to b on the safe side. Grab some Arctic Silver 5 if you can. That is probably te best cmpound.

6. xcountry

xcountry Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 351/702
    Just got home and went over the whole tower with a fine tooth comb. I didn't have much time before class to do much more than look in the side window, but this time I found one of the little plastic retaining clips on the stock heatsink set up had broken. I found the little thing behind the motherboard of all places. I have no idea how it happened because I haven't even opened up the case in the last 3 weeks or so.

I guess what happened was that starting from cold I had a couple of minutes before it got too hot and automatically shut down. Then when I was trying to restart it after that it was already that much hotter, so it took much less time to shut itself off.

Which brings me to a new question....how much damage could it have done? The computer still will boot into BIOS, but I didn't have much more time beyond that to test if it will start windows (which I obviously can't do until I get a new heatsink now). I couldn't smell anything burning after it happened. It still had 3 fans working the air around in there, just not enough contact with the actual metal portion of the heatsink. Also, I have a few old Intel heatsink+fans laying around. Would they be interchangeable?

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    Do you mean the bracket that is attached to the MOBO or the retention clip on the HS?

If you meant the HS clip, then I recommend not paying to replace the stock Intel HS...buy a Zalman or something, which will additionally lower your already-okay proc temps.

A smaller SKT 478 heatsink's clips might work, but the Prescott cooler is a bit taller and they may come up short.

Funny, I had this exact problem with my 2.8E!! The clip broke, up near the bend, so I used a drill, some dental floss, and JB Weld to repair the broken retainer clip...:rolleyes: Hey, it is still holding together - I transferred it to the GF's 2.4C and it sure cools that well.

But I now run a 7700-Cu on mine and all of that silliness is behind me.

If the MOBO clip is what broke, then yes, any SKT 478 MOBO will have a perfectly functional replacement for it. They are all identical.

8. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Just get a new better aftermarket heatsink and you should be fine. The processor has a thermal cut out if the temperature reaches the threshold so I would imagine thats what happened.

Do you know how to properly apply Arctic Silver 5?

9. xcountry

xcountry Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 351/702
    Ah, It is the clip that is attached to the mobo. I've got plenty of those laying around. Seems that the replacement will be a little more complicated though.

I've applied Thermal grease to my old comp's heatsink a few times. Never dealt with Arctic Silver though, but i'll probably just end up buying a whole new heatsink+fan and a tube of that in a couple of weeks. Does the Arctic Silver have a different process for its application?

10. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC

11. nexusworks

nexusworks Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with arctic cooling fan
    I am surprised that the intel's clip break off that easily. I have took out many of these andthey looked unbreakable. Anyway just get some heatsink to replace your current one.

cheers!

12. xcountry

xcountry Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 351/702
    I robbed the clip off my older 478 Mobo, and put it in the new one. Had to use some thermal grease from Radio Shack until the Arctic Silver comes in, but it appears to be running about the same temperature as before. Might be a little hotter but it will probably go down a little as the stuff sets or whatever it does (idle at about 36-37C). Anyways...it's working.

Big thanks to everyone.