CPU scaling in games with dual and quad core processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 15, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

CPU scaling in games with dual and quad core processors

Guru3D takes 10 modern dual- & quad core processors and then fires off a dozen of games at them in combo with a high-end graphics card, what processors are faster and what processor offers the most value; that's the generic red line of the article ....

More...

2. Oneone

Oneone Member

GPU:
    Geforce 280
    wow really great i like all the colors lol :p, Real interesting read i am going to upgrade to a faster core 2 duo, and without doubt its going to be the 8400. Great work as always!

3. RandomUserName

RandomUserName Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 720/1740/950
    nice article....really informative for the newbie. i feel better about my 5600+X2 now =]

funny how just the other day i was posting at another forum where people were like "to run Crysis on "very high" settings you MUST have a C2D clocked to at least 2.8ghz or a quad core processor." some posters were actually telling the original poster he NEEDED a processor change.

this was advice given to someone with an AMD 6000+. i was like 'o rly no one has told my computer yet because it runs Crysis just fine!'

although not on very high thanks to my video card, not my processor

good article

4. Mochen

Mochen Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 OCX
    Great article!
    It does beg the questions though, how much difference in fps would you get with a new nehalem cpu? and would it be worth investing in one from a purely gaming point of view? no doubt intel will be asking huge sums for bloomfield when it arrives.

5. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 Gaming 2G
    Really interesting article! That "games released over the past 12 months" doesn't completely fit the games tested though, no?

It would have been really interesting to see Assassins Creed or the upcoming Mass Effect, as they are known/supposed to be very CPU-bound. Maybe you can add these to the test next month or so?! :)

6. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Great Article Hilbert
    Must have been painful though, i just wish you could've SLIed two Ultras together for 1920*1200 and up

7. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    nice article, helps to clear some things.

generally, RTS are the more CPU bound type of games compared to shooters.

8. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    I would love to see minimum frames in this comparison, as well as maybe 9800gx2 tested. This is what I consider relevant comparing CPU's, but maybe it's just me...

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  9. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    He said he had problems with the 9800GX2 on some CPUs hence why he didn't do it with that card (so the result remained valid)

10. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    Well, then just minimum frames, as I am certain they are completely different from average framerate in such comparison.

11. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Great article. Maybe if you could have incorporated a test with one of the source engine games (counterstrike source, hl2 etc), since they are said to be massively cpu bound and to that maybe some overclocked results of the q6600 and the phenom 9850.

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well if it has a GPU + CPU bulit in like the rumors say then...maby it can would with your videocard ......just a theroy base on rumors lol

13. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Really good article man. Great read. It gave me renewed faith in my E6400 @ 3.3Ghz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great!:banana:

14. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    :3eyes: Are you high? Or are you an Eskimo??? A theroy, ha ha. I love it.
    +1 to this dude.

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Great article!

What about a 'CPU Chart' like the new 'VGA Charts'?

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Do my processor! :D lol

17. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    That is why I'll stick with my current CPU, at least until some decent priced Nehalems hit the shelves. Good read.

18. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Definitely a good read. However, I would have liked to have seen how the AMD X2 3800 up to X2 4800 cpu's compared since a lot of people here are using those in their gaming rigs. There has been some debate in the forums about just how much of a bottleneck there is with older AMD X2 cpu's and current high end GPU's while running the latest games.

19. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    You should've tried supcom with seven hard AI opponents 8)

20. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Most games are always going to be GPU bound.. throwing more cores doesn't mean more frames and I don't think it ever will. Didn't DX10 actually reduce CPU overhead significantly? If games are going to be "more" multi-core then they are going to have to be actually be doing something else on those spare cores.
    I'm guessing that would be physics or AI.. but with things like geometry shaders and GPU based physics used to create more and more visuals without the need for CPU intervention... are games moving to use the CPU less?
    I suppose all that's left is the AI, what else does the CPU need to be doing on other cores?

edit: yep.... fixed.