CPU/Mobo or GPU upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Arch.nMe, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Right guys, good morning to you all. I need some advice with regards to an upgrade. You can see what im running on the left. Now, ive just come into some spare cash, about £300. The question is therefore, do i spend it on a new mobo ie, an am2 and cpu upgrade? Or would you throw a new GPU in there and upgrade the cpu at a later date,,?
    Its a gaming machine with a bit of Cubase work on the side so its performance im after.
    Any ideas would be appreciated greatly. Cheers in advance,,,

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    GPU first. CPU later.

3. ogheeren

ogheeren Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 8800 GTS 512 760C/1900S/2100R
    Think a new GFX will bring you most overall benefit. And by the way, leave the AMD CPU in the shelf and this is coming from an old AMD fanboy. They really can't come along those Intel Core 2 CPUs.

4. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Cheers guys, a new GPU it is then. Been looking around at various benchmarks and they can vary wildly depending on what site you check. Its gonna be a toss up between an ati2900xt or an 8800gtx, Ultra is out of my range unfortunatley. Both seem like decent cards but the reviews ive read dont really say which is better. I heard the ati was a bit slow at first but the new drivers may sort that out.
    Im looking forward to Crysis and various other things so im gonna need some oomph onboard. So, between the ATI and NV cards what do you guys think would benefit me the most? Again, thanking you all kindly for any comments/suggestions.

ps: This card has done me proud for a while now but playing Crysis has shown me how much its behind the times.

5. ogheeren

ogheeren Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 8800 GTS 512 760C/1900S/2100R
    I would suggest to get a new 8800GT, best price-performance ratio at the moment and almost as fast as a GTX in many applications. But here in Germany it is really hard to get one, all sold out.

6. slacker126

slacker126 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 275GTX
    just got in my 8800gt today and definately would suggest to get it after looking at your system specs. saw a huge difference over my 2900pro with my cpu on stock clocks!

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I'd go with the gt over the gtx aswell, you can upgrade to a sli board when you upgrade your CPU with the money you saved :D