CPU Issue - Computer hit the floor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vimm, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Vimm

Vimm Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Hi, I'm posting for a friend here.

Before I start. The main components are:

Amd Phenom2 x4 965 3.4Mhz Am3
    Moderkort Asrock m3n78D

[...]

Incredible unlucky, preparing for a lan and he dropped his computer, broke 2 toes in the process (ouch) and busted up the computer. Didn't start so he troubleshooted all components and saw that the motherboard was bust. Replaced it with a new one and it started. But he only received a black screen. So he troubleshooted some more. Tried with different GPUs, PSUs and RAM. But it still only gave a black screen. So he thought the CPU had to be bust too and bought a new one! Good thing AMD is cheap!

And the new CPU worked in the new motherboard! Great!
    But here is the odd part. The old CPU works in another AMD compatible motherboard in another computer. (THIS IS NOT THE MOTHERBOARD HE REPLACED)

Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

He has tried several times with different components. A different PSU, different RAM etc. And the old CPU still wont work in the NEW motherboard. Only in the other computer.

Thanks

2. jayman

jayman Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor AX7990 x 2 3GB
    Busted PC

You said your friend tested all parts? You guys should try putting in the CPU in the new mobo from the motherboard you tested the old CPU in,if you didn't. But it sounds like it could be one of 2 things! The HDD and/or the video card.

3. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    I would say a new hdd is in order

4. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    u say the mobo was bust is the Case not bent up any which way that the Mobo is grounding?

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    well the pins are on the CPU still on amd, so if he had a heavy CPU cooler attached to the CPU whilst the drop happened, it couldve flexed a little during the drop and damaged some pins. different motherboards may have different sized contacts in the socket pin holes, which may explain why it works in one and not the other. check to see that all the pins are still straight.

6. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    This. You may even be able to successfully bend them back as I have done several times with the old S478 and S939

7. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Incompatible Chipset.........

8. Vimm

Vimm Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Thanks for the answers guys. It seems like the problem was a needed bios upgrade in the new motherboard. For some reason it slipped his mind even though I several times told him to check if the CPU is supported by the current BIOS version. Well well... All good :) Thanks again.

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Try all the outputs on the card. Can you get into the BIOS even or you don't see that either ?

When you turn it on what happens exactly ? Just blank black uh ?

does it make the beep sound that computer boots from post ?

gl