CPU influence on audio process?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Markgpl, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Hi there, i'm assembling a pc for a musician friend, it's basic with integrated video dual core athlon II 250. In my country is really expensive, so i recommend him that he spend most on the sound card, since he didn't play any games, so i'm searching for a xonar essence stx probably.
    The problem is that a friend of him told him that studio pc guys prefer intel, because is "better" for audio work.
    I have explained him that cpu has nothing to do in my opinion, cpu are abstracted and os, drivers and audio card makes the sound.
    Is there something i could be missing, that makes a point in spending more on intel cpu?
    Thanks in advance

2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    If your talking about a studio software title than depending on the way it's programmed it could perform better on intel vs. AMD. Also encoding, transcoding, and filtering can all perform differently on different processors. Do you have a list of the software he will be using. As far as CPU type affecting audio quality I have never heard of such a thing. If you're going with a dedicated sound card as long as you meet the peripherals required spec's it shouldn't matter what brand CPU is running it.

3. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I don't think it will make any difference whether you do an AMD processor or an Intel.

I have a Xonar ST and when I use my M-Audio Fast Track Pro, there is noticable latency when using the Xonar for output. If I use the Fast Track Pro for output, there is no latency. Doesn't say much about the drivers.

4. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Thanks for the input, that's the only way that in my opinion could make a difference, the specific software affinity, so i'll ask wich one he uses and check official requirements.

5. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    Unified

Have you tried the unified driver ?? just curious.. it's supposed to help w latency issues..

6. sprogis

sprogis Member

GPU:
    AMD ATI HD6950 x2 CFX
    Well, yes you are. On the audio card part you are right. However the CPU side, Intel CPU's can do better math like most people know. They are faster, more cache, higher FSB and more threads = More plug-ins, more tracks, higher sample rates at lower lanecies. Pro Audio is at 24-bit 96kHz, Most audio squencer software now a days are multi thread, some are not.

sprogis

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If this PC is meant for a musician that will be recording etc, then I suggest getting an audio interface that is meant for recording.
    Your CPU can have alot to do with your audio depending on the hardware. For instance, the STX is a software based card so everything the card does taxes the CPU.
    With modern CPU's this is not such a big deal. I wouldn't let it bother you too much as to which CPU to buy. Even a entry/mid level CPU will still have more then enough power to record and work with multitrack programs and sequencers. What the guy intends to do with the systems should dictate what type of hardware you should buy. If he is intending to record from multiple sources at once, use multiple FX on each track in real time...etc and do some very involved audio tasks then the more power the better IMO.

For your task, I would suggest buying a recording interface for this new system not a consumer card.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. sprogis

sprogis Member

GPU:
    AMD ATI HD6950 x2 CFX
    I agree.

9. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

This is why he's Don Sonic.