CPU heat sink recomendations

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jonnyboy, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    hmm for i5 I'd get the CNPS10x Extreme or Titan Fenrir, maybe even the Gelid Tranquillo if u want a cheaper one

2. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    I am doing a phenom 2 build and I think I'll be getting either the Thermolab Baram or CNPS10X Flex to pair up with a spare Noctua NF-P12 fan.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
  4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I have the CorsiarH50. I would say its good, but I dont really know what to compare it to. I have my CPU at 3.5Ghz temporarily until I sit down and fiddle with it again, but it idles around the 20's and load is high 30's. I dont know if thats normal or wha because newer AMD CPU's always seem to run cool. I dont like the stock fan the H50 comes with, and plus its best to have a push pull config so it does take up more space, but the fact that its mounted out of the way of the center means you somewhat get a cleaner looking setup.

magicdave26 - why dont you have your RAM on the farthest slots if you only use 2 sticks? This may just be me, but I always do that so that the RAM doesnt get hotter because of the CPU or northbridge heat. Ive had RAM die on me a long time ago because they got too hot because they were literally milimeters away from the heatsinks.

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ On some boards u have to populate certain slots first, like on mine, you have to use either the 2nd or 4th slot first, you can't boot with just a stick in the 1st,3rd, 5th or 6th

7. jmv

jmv Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5850 Black Edition
    how about the noctua NH-C12p SE14??

8. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
  9. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    gosh so many to choose from I'm questioning whether to keep my money in savings till I know which one I want that will be the biggest profit for my cpu but I am seriously thinking about the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme because I have a ac freezer pro7 in my closet that did well on my 4600 over clocked at 3.0 Ghz and it was with a load reaching 40c-45 and ide was 20c-25c and I want something even better then that for this cpu. and I might think about it for a few days.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    this cooler got a bad review in the uk.

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    If you look at the review of the Venomous X here you can see that one of the better air coolers for i5s is the CNPS10x, I think the Tiatn Fenrir would do well too

12. bobcb

bobcb Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk R5770
    Very happy with my Corsair H50, quiet and keeps my 860 near ambient on idle and high 40s on load.

13. Revs

Revs Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 2.0
    Another vote for the H50. Not as good as very expensive air coolers but it's not too expensive :D. I get idle temps of 40*C ish and load temps of 75-80*C without HT enabled. Superb build quality and very quiet indeed :).

14. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    I just bought the Thermolab Baram for my Phenom 2 build. Looks like a great cooler for 30 quid