CPU H/Sink/Fan suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SoulKlekta, Mar 8, 2003.

1. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    I have a T-Bird 1.4gig which I've had clocked to 1608 with the standard AMD sink/fan but although it passed the POST first time,I was less than 2 minz into UT2003 when it froze.

I suspect this was possibly down to heat as the temp had risen a fair bit but not above my 'crucial' temp of 85deg.

I have an XP2400 on it's way and shall begin to look into the trials & tribulations of XP2400 O/C'ers.

I feel I need to upgrade my stock cooling system and have been looking at an Akasa AK899 Silvermountain (Skt A to XP 2600) = £17.63 from www.microdirect.co.uk .

Also a Thermal Take Volcano9 AMD Cooler +copper base +temp. sensor for £14.10.There is a Global Win cooler that caught my eye due to the copper h/sink,those 'splayed' ,fanned out copper fins are very effective!.
    The cooler is a Global Win Super Quiet Copper = £28.20,slighly more expensive but much less noise,not that the others are noisy also the cooling qualities of copper is first-class.

2. Treblig

Treblig Nigeri Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
    Heat Pipes ! The Coolmaster HCC-01 Heat pipes work awesome as well . Good luck .

3. Soto_Ayam

Soto_Ayam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB SLI
    When your looking for a heatsink... be sure to go for 100% copper ones... not Copper base... i've learnt from my experience of the Volcano 9

4. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    Thanx for the tips Soto_Ayam,Treblig.

I must say I've seen the copper 'fanned' type h/sinks and they did catch my eye immediatly.

The ones I've seen consist of just the copper fanned h/sink with no fan thus reducing noise to a minimum yes?.
    This would be ideal although noise isn't really an issue (as long as it's not too loud!).

Tell me,do these sinks use the usual 'clip-on' insertion method as most 'standard' h/sink/fan combos or is there an alternative mounting method?

My 1400 is stable as a rock running at 1552Mhz (11.5x135) ,I have tried 12x134 = 1608 which past the first POST no probz but froze less than 2mins into UT2003 (1024x768,32or16bit 85Hz).

My mobo is an Asus A7A266DDR with the latest BIOS release which informs me my mobo can accomodate cpu's upto an XP2400.

I am trying to define if I should O/C my T-Bird as far as I can push it,hell !,even if it takes Hydro-Cooling (although I'd rather keep things dry as the puter I'm reffering to is used to take to LAN parties with me & I don't want the hassle of draining the water reseviour everytime.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003

5. Soto_Ayam

Soto_Ayam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB SLI
    Well, if you dont' really care about how much sound your CPU is making... then definately go for the Thermalright SLK-800 copper heatsink and a Vantec Tornado 80mm fan...

The SLK-800 heatsink is 100% copper and the fan is EXTREMELY loud but produces 80cfm of air I believe... that would give you the best air cooling you can get.

www.thermalright.com

6. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    I'm looking at http://www.thermalright.com right now
    Soto_Ayam and see the SLK-800 & SLK-800-U.

They both look like they can 'do the bizz'!,the downside (for me) is the fact that the 800-U requires screws through the motherboard for secure mounting though.
    It says "for LAN party" so from that I can only presume that as long as the PC is not being moved around then the h/sink will be fine but if it's 'humphed' into & out of cars travelling to LAN parties then it might not be so secure?.

It's got a larger footprint as well as being 45g heavier.Not that 50g would have the slightest bit of difference although could it be an indication of more copper = more heat dissapation?

I've just noticed as I was comparing the two there that the 800 accomodates XP Palamino 2000+ and higher whereas the 800-U can be used on XP Palaminos, Thoroughbreds, and Bartons 2800+ and up.

As I think I stated in an earlier post,at present I have a T-Bird 1400@1552 and with good cooling such as an SLK-800 I am 90% sure I can hit at least 1650-1700'ish stable.

Alternatively,I have been mulling over the idea of an XP2400,I know the SLK 800 states for 2100+ and above but do you think an O/C'd 2400 is 'too high' and perhaps the 800-U be better suited to a XP2400.

The fan I was referring to about being like a fanned set of copper fins is a Zalman CNPS6000CU although the down side is I think the fan is mounted by a moveable bracket which bolts on using a spare card slot :(

7. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    OTT for a second Soto_Ayam

I see you have a Leadtek card there,how do you like it?

I have a Ti4200 128MbDDR in this pc but a Leadtek GF3 Ti500TDH 64Mb in my other pc and it kicks ass!.

I really wanted to go buy a Leadtek GF4 4600 but my wife wouldn't let me :( ,so I had to settle with my 4200 instead but I'm happy enough with it.

8. Soto_Ayam

Soto_Ayam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB SLI
    Hehe, this Leadtek card is supposed to OC like mad ><

But once over 280/575... i start getting tears and weird stuff happening on my screen... so I keep it at 270/560. Otherwise, no problems, good card.

9. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    I may be wrong my friend,but I'm sure the Leadtek GF4 4600 uses the A3 revision of the GPU and either 3.6 or even faster 3.3ns memory which adds to it's stability when clocked,and as you so rightly suppose, they do O/C like mad!! :).

Have you by any chance seen the Leadtek 4800?,it had me a tad baffled at 1st,"4800?" I thought but it's a 4200 with the A3 GPU and clocks stable at 300/600!!.
    I have my suspicions that there are 4600'z doing the rounds maquerading as 4200'z.
    This '4200' WinFast/Leadtek has the same huge h/sink that covers the memory as well as the GPU and twin fans just the same as the 4600.

10. TerroH8er

TerroH8er Guest

Soul: the Ti4800 is a Ti4600 card with AGP 8x, the Ti4800SE is the Ti4400 card, the Ti4200 8x is obviously the Ti4200 with AGP 8x. look at the specs @ nvidia

Anyway, back to the main question. Indeed, the SLK-800 is the second best heatsink out there, second to it's big brother by a small margin, the SLK-900.

The good thing about the SLK-800 is that it will run great with a lower CFM fan. Of course though, it will run better with a higher CFM fan.

However, I will warn you about one thing, i don't know if i'd recommend it if you are afraid your lap it. the base on mine was a horrific site, when i ran my fingernail over it, it sounded like a zipper. You really will not get it's full potential if you put it on with a rough base. Lapping really isn't that hard either, just get some 600 grit sandpaper at your local ace hardware and place the heatsink face down, and then move the heatsink to end of the paper, pick it up, place it back at the starting position, and repeat for about a half hour, don't rotate as a lot of places suggest.

Contrary to popular belief, the shinier the heatsink is DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BETTER. You want the heatsink to be FLAT and rid of all major valleys and mountains. I heard a metaphor about it once "you are trying to get mount everest down to a small hill" (i think that's a metaphor). The thermal compound will do the rest.

Good luck

11. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    Thanx for puttin me straight regarding the Leadtek cards,I have a friend (via this thing,I've never met him) who has a L/tek4800 and granted he did say it was AGP v3.0 but that it was a 4400.
    He was amazed at the clock speeds he was getting from it so I suggested he run SiSoft Sandra to determine the gpu revision and sure enough it was an A3.
    It has the same h/s/f setup as the 4600 as well.He's had it at that speed for over a fortnight now and it seems fine.

Hunph!,here's me with my 4200 128meg x8 also but my A7A266 won't go above x4AGP 2.0 :rolleyes: .

As I say TerroH8er,noise isn't really a problem,this system is in a room on it's own,I mean not a lounge or the like.

I hear you about applying the thermo-compound and pre-compound prep work being really important.There's no use sticking on a h/sink if the heat doesn't reach it coz the compounds too thick or worse,it's not even therefore uneven heat dissapation yes?.
    TBH m8,it's the length that is concerning me,what were the dimensions again?,do you have them to hand?.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  12. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    If any of you guys are still subscribed to this thread this is a follow-up as to how things turned out for me regarding the H/sink&Fan affair.

It was a close call between the SLK-800U and a ThermalTake Volcano-9,both with 80mm Delta fans.

I liked the Volcano-9 with the variable speed control and if you have a window in your pc(which I don't) there are custom chrome fan-guards with LEDs etc,in other words :non-functional patter! and the Volcano-9 isn't copper.

Don't get me wrong,I have seen some really kick-ass looking custom built systems with the side-window ,cold-cathode light ,'KnightRider' style multi-coloured LEDs that fluctuate up & down the front panel,you know what I mean.I'm saying if done with taste a pc can look great but sometimes it's pure overkill.

I took the advice given anyway and ended up getting a Thermalright SLK-800U which as soon as I took out the box realised it was superbly crafted and has an excellent polished finish. The heatsink came with a scuff resistant sticker on the bottom to protect it :) .

Apart from the non-scuff sticker which I peeled off,there was also a thermal pad which I tried but replaced with thermal grease.

One thing that took me straight away was the weight of it! and I mean without the fan!.The SLK-800U I found out weighs 550grams,thats 1/2 a kilo of solid copper consisting of lots of very flimsy looking fins,I'd say there are approx 25-30 of them but as opposed to being one part ,they appear to be soldered on but I suppose the act of cutting fins this thin would pose quite a bit of manufactering difficulties all which would cost cash.

Everything went ok during installation though :) although I was sh*t scared I was going to crack my cpu as I had to exert a fair bit of brute force with a screwdriver to get the clips on and the fact that I had to take out my mobo to install it just to get unobstructed access for the four mounting posts that go through the mobo,it was worthwhile in the end especially with the screwdriver when I was fastening down the clips.

On a brighter note though,the base although not a mirror finish was very well finished and I didn't feel warranted a lot of rubbing with some wet+dry but I did give it a quick rub just to give it a 'wee' smoothing.

Mainly due to the fact that I wanted to try the thermal pad as opposed to thermal grease,I did have some at hand just incase though.I had read that some types of these pads can work better than thermal grease,I think I'm correct in saying though that the graphite ones are cheap and crap and are usually packaged with h/s/f combos :rolleyes: ,the other type,whatever they are amde of are meant to be much better?.

Testing was performed at a room temperature of 23.3C (74°F) with a closed case.
    I used a combination of UT2003 using the BAT file that runs all the demos one after the other ,Q3A with a botmatch with as amny bots as I could get in just running on Spectator Mode for a while,(I begn the 'burn-in' with this then used the UT2003 all demo BAT to play all the UT demos continuiously then 3DMark2003(which now supports DirectX 9.0 btw) to just loop for ages,all UT & Q3A tests were run at 1024x768@85Hz with everything maxxed out.
    The 3DMark2003 bench was the default setting.

My rough and totally uncompiled results are:

AMD T-Bird 1400@1608@85Hz
    SLK-800U & Delta 80mm

Load Temp (with thermal-pad) approx:42.75C/108.9F to 44.6C/112.2F

Load Temp (with thermal-grease) approx:39.4/102.9F to 42.36/108.2F.

I also have a huge 120mm 'bug-sukka' in the side of my tower that is supposed to drag in upto 100+CFM.I plan to do these tests with no other case fans on and see what the outcome of that is.It should be interesting,even just to find out how good,or bad a job the 1200mm casefan is doing.

I mentioned in a post on this thread that my A7A266 could take upto an XP2400+,well according to Asus it actually can take a 266Mhz 2600+ :D .
    Needless to say the wheels that be started turning and a 2600+ was being researched,to be honest though I now have my T-Bird 1400 running stable at 1608 and am happy with it but if anything ,an XP2400+ at the right price may well sway me lol!
    I hear the 2100+ 'B' version is the one to go for for O/C'ing but I don't know what kind of speeds they can be made to hit,anyone know?.
    What about the max speeds obtained with the 2400+,anyone got one or/and know about their clocking ceiling speed?.

Regards,SK.

13. B0B

B0B Member

GPU:
    2x MSI 6970 LIGHTNING oc
    Hey soto ayam
    I chose the leadtek card for a few reasons 1 being the heatsink
    Such a large h/s with 2 fans must be good for o/c'n well i was wrong
    the h/s on 1 side of the card didnot even touch all of the ram chips hmmm that cant be good
    where the card cpu sits in the h/s is so rough and uneven i had trouble believeing what i was looking at
    so i brought a thermaltake vid card cooler with ram sinks
    leadtek ti4800se 275/550 @ 300/600 stable
    will try higher settings when i get the time

gigabyte 8inxp
    intel 2.4 @ 3gig thermaltake volcano 7+
    corsair matched pair ram 2 x 256
    leadtek ti4800se @ 300/600 thermaltake g4-vga copper cooler
    seagate 2 x 40 gig
    ibm 20 gig
    soundblaster live
    aopen 32x burner
    pioneer dvd slot 16x