cpu fan stopped working, cpu fired!!!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by baldie911, Sep 3, 2006.

1. baldie911

baldie911 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 SLI
    hi i was playing rome total war, and all the sudden it froze, so then i opened it up and noticed the cpu fan wasnt spinning. so i guess now my cpu has been fried. its on my second rig, which is a intel i would liek to no what cause the cpu fan to stop working. is it the mobo? the fan uses a funny 4 pin mobo connecter?

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    Your CPU is probably fine. Fan failures don't cause sudden drastic temperature increases that would cause damage. It will crash long before it gets hot enough to be damaged.

3. P4P1T0-BR

P4P1T0-BR Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB 640/1950/1600 Alph
    did you tried another fan on the same connector that your fan plug's currently connected in? im almost sure that you'll have to plug it on another connector to get it to work, my mobo has 3 fan conectors, AUX0, AUX1, CPU, my CPU fan conector stoped working and now i have my fan energy conector pluged on the AUX0 with no problemas at all, but when i need to monitor its RPM i have to look on the AUX0 status .. lol.

4. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I agree that the CPU shouldn't instantly fry when the fan stops working, of course the temperature will increase, probably quite fast but as Khenglish mentioned it would probably crash before it fries.

Does your PC still boot?

If you can still boot it up but the fan doesn't work on any connection, and you can't test the fan in another motherboard, then you could test the fan with a square 9V battery. This will mean stripping the wires, if it is anything like the fans i have then the black wire is negative and the red is positive. Only do this as a last resort, because stripping the wires isn't a great idea if you can avoid it. Never the less, if it is the only option, make sure you join the wires back up with electrical tape so there are no bare wires in your case.

Some fans have the sticker covering the actual wire connections to the fan's PCB. If you can see these connection then you could get 2 wires out of something, like an old keyboard or a spare molex cable. Attach these wires (preferably black and red) to the square 9V battery, then touch the 2 wires into the corresponding exposed connection on the fans PCB. If you can't see these connection then don't try and take the fan apart, more often than not they are sealed units. This way you can avoid cutting and stripping the wires, and still test to see if the fan works.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006

5. baldie911

baldie911 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 SLI
    yer the cpu still works im still getting the post screen, but my amd rig dont have that 4pin connectior so i couldnt test the fan.

6. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Replace the fan, &/or plug another fan to the same mobo connector to check if its the mobo connector thats gone.

7. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You could probably get away with sticking 2 wires in to the 4 pin connector, then touching those 2 wires on to a 9V battery. As i said in the last post i made, you should use the black and red wires, then attach the red to positive and black to negative.

That way you can test the fan without stripping the wires or expsoing the fans PCB.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    yeah...... CPU damage is highly unlikely. normally when a CPU fan fails, the CPU will run hotter than usual, but if you have enough airflow, it won't overheat till you start putting strain on the CPU, causing the temperature to rise above the CPU's acceptable levels. once it starts to overheat, a complete system lockup usually happens, or the CPU will automatically underclock itself to reduce the temperature. If it still get's hotter, the system will either reboot or shut down to try to lower the temps. basically the same as with video cards. if a video card overheats, it will underclock itself (which is usually blatantly obvious, because it cranks down as low as it can go, reducing your windows desktop to 800x600 with 8-bit color, and games pretty much halt after you see the graphics quality take large jumps towards utterly crappy). if the video card still gets hotter, the computer reboots or shuts down.

think different motherboards/chipsets/etc... have different ways of handling heat.

9. mostwanted

mostwanted Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7600GT/6600GT XFX AGP
    Yeah im sure ur cpu is alrite,im guessing that the bios isn allowing the computer to boot.I wanted to test my cpu so i switched off the cpu fine using speedfan and played most wanted.I was amazed to how gud an intel is.I mean it reached 73C after 1hr of playing.

Just make sure ur mobo is alrite,or try another cpu cooler.

10. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Do NOT use your computer without a CPU fan, unless you want to fry eggs on the CPU for breakfast, because that's all it will be good for.

Test the fan the way i suggested, it isn't difficult, just use your imagination. Just don't be playing about with bare wires inside your case, make sure you take it out.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I think I'm correct when I say that A64's have a built-in temp protection that kicks in at 85C*, or something like that. Your motherboard should have a function like that as well. Make sure it's turned on though. As everyone already said, your CPU is probably fine. I've forgotten to turn on my waterpump several times, and my CPU is still fine.

12. baldie911

baldie911 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 SLI
    yer tahnks for the reaplys, the cpu is working, but i rma thew cpu fan and it is still not working, so now i think it is the mobo.

13. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Are my posts invisible or something? How many times do i have to say it?

Test the fan with a 9V battery! Rule out the fan as the cause. All you have to do is get 2 small thin wires, strip the end off them and stick the ends in the holes of the 4 pin connector for the red (or maybe yellow) and black wires, then connect the red (or yellow) wire to positive and the black to negative, if it doesn't spin, then it probably doesn't work. But just to be sure try the other wires (holes on the connector) switch the polarity, use your imagination.

But if you now have a new fan and it still doesn't work then it must be the motherboard. I was thinking it might be software related, like speedfan is interfering or something, but the fan should spin as soon as the power goes on, which isn't happening, right?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006