CPC Hardware AMD Ryzen 7 2700X print review is online incl Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 26, 2018.

1. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    Still going to be waiting for me it looks like.... 7nm I guess it'll have to be.

2. darkvader75

darkvader75 Member

GPU:
    2X AMD Vega 64-LE
    I will buy the 2700X not because of the speed difference etc but because I got a horrible 1800X that requires 1.54v just to run and is so hot it can't clock up at all even with excellent high flow large radiator watercooling. Every now and again you Lose the CPU lottery.

3. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I'm betting 4.2 ghz will be the new all core barrier for most, with 4.3 being for the very few winners of the silicon lottery. Also I don't think the actual XFR clocks are going to match those in a previously leaked slide.

That doesn't sound right, you're probably killing it running that much voltage through it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    It wasn't a final BIOS, or the Final AGESA they used.
    They also stated that with the Ryzen1 and Ryzen+ both at 3GHz, the new chip, on a smaller process, consumed more power, which shouldn't be the case.

I suspect there will be some changes before the final revision of the BIOS's etc come out.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Testing on A320. It's already kind of what alone.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    From the text i read last night, they tested with an AGESA 1.0.0.1a and the final release AGESA should be 1.0.0.2, according to them.
    they also state that the 1.0.0.1a AGESA is the one that will probably be deployed to the Motherboards for retail, and the user will have to update on day 1.

I would take this as a good "Alpha" review, but there are so many inconsistencies with what could be the final product, that it would be wise to wait for the release to get proper info on it.

I suspect AMD are working very very hard to get the AGESA finalised, and the performance up to scratch, with the power consumtion as well.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Judging from ryzen 1 where pretty much the 1800x was almost at the ceiling i would say their top cpu will be also at the limit of the clocks it can achieve making again the 2700 and 2600 the ones to get

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From working of XFR2, one can presume that all you need is good cooling. Secondly It has been mentioned that XFR2 does not work on older chipset (no idea if BIOS can be patched for support). Then tests were done on low end platform A320 (most expensive one is like $80), so there may have been even power delivery issues.
    Then they did not test with more than 2933MHz memory.

I think most important information is their synthetic set of MT tests, as it shows 8.7% jump for 2700X from 1800X. Yet clock jump with all cores loaded is only 5.4%.

9. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    My thoughts skimming the info as a current 1700 owner.
    I will buy the 2700x on day 1. The reason is because when I bought my 1700 I bought it knowing that this chip would go in a 2nd pc and would be replaced with a higher end chip. But these new 2000 series chips are coming out sooner than I thought so i will just go with that instead.
    Other thoughts...
    On power. The article said the power draw was dramatically increased. 13w is a dramatic increase to an already efficient arch!? da frack? who cares? 25-30 sure thats getting up there.
    On turbo changes. I believe the change to turbo should account for the higher power draw. I also like how the turbo goes much higher depending on how many cores are loaded so single threaded apps or less multi threaded apps will get a nice boost. while the full core load turbo is also higher should help encoding-like tasks.
    On clocks. The more the merrier gimme gimme gimme. Would have liked a bit more of a bump but I'll take an upwards of anything over my 1700 since I don't overclock anymore.
    On price. If the rumored prices are correct I am currently sold on day one barring some kind of ****** up thing in early reviews coming out.
    As far as other improvement as far as cache latency and better ram support... procreating schweet. bring on the improvements. If the 2700x is also the top chip I love it even more because the 1800x was a stupid sku being so close to the 1700x.
    I am also looking forward to 7nm ryzen and hoping for an even higher core count on those.
    Before i built my ryzen rig i was ready to build a 6900k rig. the 1700 performed close enough to my needs to not warrant the way higher priced build so i am in the ryzen boat now til the socket dies ill buy the new high end chip every generation as long as it works on my am4 mobo just because of the money i saved not having to go the 6900k route. also i can use all the extra cores so bring em on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018