Could we get mentions of single-GPU performances as well?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by WaxPaper, Dec 6, 2011.

1. WaxPaper

WaxPaper Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5870 (Mobile)
    I know that in general, the changes in most AMD driver releases and CAPs are for the benefit of Crossfire configurations, and that's what most people comment on in the respective driver release threads. But every so often, you'll see in the release notes that AMD mentions an alleged performance gain for single-GPU environments, even in CAPs (which is a common misconception; that CAPs are only for Crossfire).

I'd really like to see the same kind of posts that detail the user's experience with new driver releases and CAPs as far as single GPUs are concerned... I realize that most of the people actively posting in these threads are Crossfire users, and that's probably why the majority of feedback is about Crossfire performance gains/losses. But could those of you who use single GPUs report your experience with future drivers and CAPs as well? (Even if a single GPU isn't referenced in AMD's release notes, we know that certain driver releases do have an impact on some single-GPU environments, whether it's positive or negative.)

Cheers!

2. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    I completely agree with everything you say, not to diminish at all the problems people have with Xfire and Sli. Although more frequent updates seem to ease Nvidia users pains.

I think it's a good idea given the spate of beta drivers ATI are churning out and such things like fixing rage with a beta driver and then breaking it again with a whql. Generally if I look around the forum I can get a handle on whatever I need to know, but I've had trouble with Skyrim though. I think it's because people are all having different problems with that release.

So yeah - kudos for saying that single GPU people should give each other higher levels of feedback - unless we're a minority or something, I don't know?

3. Pilgrim1942

Pilgrim1942 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    My current rig has only one GTX 470 ( with a Gelid Icy Vision aftermarket cooler installed!), and sometimes I do notice a difference when gaming after installing the latest Nvidia updates.

4. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Single GPU recognition, that would be capital!

5. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    In my laptop, for Skyrim, I'm running the 11.11 WHQL drivers with no problems. I tried the 11.11b and I got no better performance and things were too bright and slightly blurry so I went back to the 11.11's. I also tried the 4gb patch and it did absolutely nothing so I dropped that as well. The game runs without crashing and has no graphical glitches anywhere.

6. zhengzhoudave

GPU:
    you see this is what I mean about that specific game - I'm really concerned that my lined textures poor shadow quality and indoor lag might not ever be resolved!

7. Scyphe

Scyphe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
    Are you certain those aren't issues with Skyrim? I mean, Skyrim is quite buggy to be honest and many issues aren't driver related.

8. zhengzhoudave

GPU:
    Well I agree that the texture and shadow issues are probably to do with the game, the lined textures must surely be! But the lag just feels so familiar with new releases and new ATI drivers. I will comment somewhere in the ATI section if a driver, game patch or other fix starts making the game work better!

Should have been clearer about that, sorry!

9. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    singl GPU here aswell! Im playing with latest 11.11c, AS Creed: Revelations, it runs quite smooth all maxed out (ofcourse it should!) After installing latest CCAPs v1.1, and then game began to lag and stuff, after uninstall and reboot, all was fine again. So i recommend anyone, try to play without CAPs abit, then install them and compare. It might bring you some performance, but also it can cut it down.