Could this be ? HD5870X3 !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by DSK, Aug 12, 2009.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I hope not. Because from all the problems with multi GPU setups i always wanted single GPU. Because i never had a single problem with it. Plus the lenght is important. My uATX case can only take HD4870 sized card. And even for this one i had to bend a part of the case so there was enough room for 2x PCIe power.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    It's more along side rather than just on top off the die's.

Multi-core can only go so far until your limited by the core it's self, let alone support for multi GPU being an issue.

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well looking at the current CPU trend, I believe that multi-GPU will be the wave of the future.

Not liking it, but it just seems that GPUs and CPUs are no different. Someone's gotta embrace it eventually and I bet AMD's like, why not now?

deltatux

4. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Probably slightly higher than whats needed for 3x4870's or a 4870X2+4870 1GB. I bet my PSU could run it fine.
    If the X2 was going to be a $250 card then that would make the single GPU even cheaper, theres no way ATi would make a single GPU card more expensive than a dual gpu. :3eyes:

I haven't had any problems with my 4870X2, I'm all for multiple GPU's on one PCB!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009

5. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Well of course it would be cheaper. But how much faster would it be then the previous gen's fastest single GPU?

6. buddyfriendo

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    One can only assume, considering the ROPs are doubled and addional SP (they are upping the SP right?) and the higher clock speeds....etc I would say it's definitely not going to be a slouch.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well, if the intel is correct, there should be 1200 shader processors.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    That's different though. Intel stacked cores on one die. Where as with the ati cards, it's multiple gpus on 1 pcb.

9. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Looking at the exponential rate that AMD is stuffing into their GPU, I bet AMD might shove 1500 if they had the chance lol.

deltatux

10. buddyfriendo

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Damn, thats a bigger increase than I had thought. I figured it was going to be an additional 200 not 400. I wouldn't be surprised if the single 5870 was on par with a 4870X2 or very close to it.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    uh.... 1200 isn't that much for ATI, it looks big, but it's not, 1200 stream processors for ATI (if they do not increase the performance of each individual one by much) would be the equivalent of 300(again ish) nvidia steam processors, a single 5870 isn't going to be that amazing at all, especially if Nvidia's cards come out with 512 stream processors (2048 ATI stream processors, if they do not increase performance, along side ATI, of each individual stream processor, only looking at currently what is available now, so don't take what i say as exact truth, it's on speculation of what is currently going on today), not to mention the fact that the 4870x2 technically has 1600 stream processors....how could 1200 be on par or very close to a 4870x2? The architecture between the 4000 and 5000 ATI cards are not changing much at all, 5870 is more then likely going to not be that amazing.

12. buddyfriendo

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Time will tell, wont it?

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    well ofcourse i'm just sayin, don't expect much, as nothing is really showing..much

14. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    SemiAccurate.com ..................

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Where are all the multi-GPU bashers? I figured I'd come in this thread and a bunch of pissed off posters would be in here bashing ATI saying the only way they can catch NVIDIA is to increase the number of GPUs. I couldn't believe the amount of trash talking towards the 295, much less a 3 GPU card...

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well i do agree with what you said in the sense of i do believe that is the only way ATI is going to be able to compete with nvidia, especially with the 5000 series cards (that and price, ofcourse) but i figured i wouldn't be the one to start it :p no but honestly, multi-GPU, not the way to go, with ATI's next series, the 5000 series, it'll be the only way they will be able to go, to compete with nvidia, with their next series...maybe, who knows what'll happen there, but with ATI's new philosophy, i don't expect it to change

17. buddyfriendo

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    I don't see why some people give ATi **** for it's top model being multi-gpu and that being the only way they can top Nvidia, if I recall Nvidia played the same game to get back on top. I just don't see why some people keep complaining that the only reason ATi is on top is due to multi-gpu when both companies do it.

(Not pointing the finger at you, just thought I'd mention that as I swore I read it someone in one of these threads)..

18. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    time to sell my GTX 295 before the new generation of ATI/Nvidia hits the market and before its too late :D

I am against the fact they are going for multi-GPUs, like Aura89 said... they should start doing Dual Core GPUs or Quad Core GPUs

19. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    I don't get that. Why would they make a dual core GPU if they could simple increase the SP count and what not? Are they not already parallel?

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    huh? Being the "top" is governed by single-GPU performance, whoever has the fastest single-GPU, is on top, due to the fact that no matter how many GPU's you put onto one card, the person with the fastest single-GPU will always win

Sure, by pure performance if ATI decides to put 3 GPU's on one card, and nvidia only has one single GPU card that outperforms any ATI's single-GPU card, ATI would win, but in reality, anyone can stack GPU's onto a card and say "OMG I WIN!", but not everyone can make something great

Like this example i guess....

I could make the biggest batch of spaghetti and meatballs you've ever seen, that'll keep you filled up for 4 days, and cost you 30 dollars..however, it is the most plain thing you've ever tasted in your life, there's no quality, cheapest stuff out there

Or, i could make a decent sized batch of spaghetti, lasts 2 days, costs you 30 dollars, and is the most wonderful thing you've ever tasted, every time you bite into it you don't think anything else could taste as good, BUT, for the same amount, 4 days worth, it would cost you 60 dollars

Now, which batch would be the winner, if it came to a contest? the absolutely horrible tasting yet has quantity? or the expensive, and amazing tasting batch?

I would say the amazing tasting batch

This has got to be the weirdest analogy i've ever used, lol, but i hope it makes sense, yes, ATI can be "top in performance", but only by adding my GPU's, or "quantity", to their cards, as their cards do not perform at the top, and the top, is the highest performing single-GPU, not to mention the fact that, yes, there are a lot of complications that come with multi-GPU, which even downgrades how multi-GPU cards are graded

Like i said though i hope that makes sense as to why i do not believe, no matter how many GPU's ATI puts onto one card, unless ATI has the best single-GPU card, they are never on top, because it's not about quantity over quality, and it never should be

And no i am not bashing ATI, or nvidia, or anyone in this thread, lol, specifically i am not bashing ATI, so don't take what i said the wrong way in this thread